Cannabis Coffee: The Latest Marijuana Craze

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
I love my coffee!

From AlterNet.org
Cannabis Coffee: The Latest Marijuana Craze

Innovative marijuana entrepreneurs are giving a whole new meaning to "wake and bake."

By Phillip Smith / AlterNet
June 5, 2015

a_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg

Photo Credit: Julius Schorzman/Wikimedia Commons

Okay, the problem with waking and baking is that you're likely to get off to a slow start to your day, but several companies on the far frontiers of the ever-morphing legal marijuana industry have come up with the solution: marijuana-infused coffee. Have your morning Joe and your morning buzz gets caffeinated.
These products are, of course, coming from the land of legal weed and are the latest manifestation of the entrepreneurial creativity driving innovation in the industry. They also reflect Americans' growing romance with non-smoked forms of marijuana, whether it's the ever-growing array of pot edibles, vaporized cannabis oils, or pot-infused liquids.
Coming out of Washington state, Fairwinds Manufacturing is now producing pot-laced coffee at its plant just across the Columbia River from Oregon. The company's Catapult Cannabis Coffee ain't cheap, going for $10 for pods that fit cartridge-based coffeemakers. Fairwinds' conventionally packaged cannabis coffees are a bit more reasonable.

While pot-infused coffee is supposed to get you high, it still has to taste good. Fairwinds' James Hull told Fast Company how he does it—and it's a bit tricky because the addition of oils (of any kind) can wreak havoc with the brewing process.
"To infuse the coffee beans with the cannabis oil, It is not as simple as spraying the coffee beans with the oil," Hull explained. "To ensure proper extraction of the cannabis oil from the coffee grounds and to ensure solubility in the cup of coffee, we must first prepare the cannabis oil mixture prior to application. We add ingredients that allow the cannabis oil to become soluble with the water-based coffee."
And then there's House of Jane and its Jane's Brew Gourmet Cannabis-Infused Coffees. That's just part of the Bay Area producer's lineup of "medicinal gourmet coffees, teas, and fine edibles." Jane markets its coffees as a way of relieving pain and stress, and offers caffeinated and decaf versions, as well as coffees with different THC and CBD levels.
"You choose caffeinated or decaf and the dosage needed to meet your needs: focused and alert or relaxed and mellow," House of Jane says.
Meanwhile, if you want to savor the taste of weed with your coffee without actually getting high off it, Los Angele coffee company Compelling & Rich is now offering "herb conditioned" Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee beans. And yes, the herb is marijuana.
Company owner and roastmaster Kian Abedini said that while drinkers of the coffee won't get high, he does in the process of making it. The process is called green coffee conditioning, and it exposes the unroasted beans to vaporized ingredients at a low combustion point and then infuses the coffee with that flavor.
"I'm essentially hot-boxing the roasting room," he explained.
Cannabis coffees are drawing lots of customer interest, according to the purveyors, and are likely to prove popular in the industry. For dispensaries and just plain pot shops, they are a high-margin novelty item, and like marijuana edibles or soft drinks, they appeal to those people who just aren't into smoking things.
Now, I'm just waiting for that first cannabis coffee chain to open. Stonerbucks, anyone?

How does it all work then..? as when I last worked it, you had to be in an oil or iso to work with it?

it is a nice idea, but all this processing makes me want to look at the ingredients very closely, as to what stuff is added to make cannabis water soluble and such, are they safe to eat or are they chemical merely approved to be used in foods by fda? I don't like the idea of mixing mj with bad chemicals from the artificial food additives

The ultimate "Wake and Bake"?

Zem, I join you in worry over the ingredients and the process. The premise is great though.

I would probably trust Cannabis coffee from a dispensary here in Cali.
I have found most cannabis products sold in dispensaries here to be high quality. I would definitely check the label and ask a few questions before purchasing however.

http://www.houseofjane.com/#!home/mainPage

I have never tried cannabis coffee. If you are interested in trying some here is a hack on how to make your own from Theweedblogcom

How To Make Marijuana Coffee

Posted by Johnny Green at 6:33 AM on January 27, 2014 Marijuana Recipes

Jan272014

Cannabis Coffee Recipe
I was sent this amazing recipe for cannabis infused coffee and had to share. Over the summer, I shared a recipe for a cannabis infused coffee shake but this is just the real deal. Caffeine and cannabis, in the same cup. So for those of you on the go, you’ll be able to stay medicated and caffeinated while at work on those long days (not to mention extremely sneaky!). So here’s the recipe on how to make your own pot of pot coffee at home!

Ingredients:
1 good pinch of pulverized hash
4 tsp finely-powdered straight Arabian mocha
2 pinches of ground nutmeg
2 pinches of ground cinnamon
1 pot of fresh brewed coffee
Sugar (to taste)
Creamer or milk (to taste)

Directions:
Brew the coffee as you would normally, whether you prefer to make it in a regular coffee pot or one of the new fancy coffee machines that they’re coming out with now. Put all of the ingredients that you have (keep in mind that you can adjust the amount of hash that you put in to the mix to your preference if you’d like the coffee to be stronger or weaker). Put the mixture in to a Turkish coffee pot and put over a low flame until it starts to bubble. As soon as the coffee starts to bubble, remove it rom the heat. Add in your creamer and sugar as you like and enjoy your cup of medicated coffee!

Cheers burnin1, ^^^ still theres no other way of inducing the weed(thc) to the coffee solution ..in fact the weed and coffee remain separate throughout tho the weed is in the coffee, ..thanks

Latest posts

Back