Recommedations for 1:1 strains and high CBD strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL--I agree with Rosebud. What's to laugh about? We made it through all that crap and are still kicking! My kids are grown (actually my grandkids are grown), the house and cars are paid for, I don't have to get up every morning and head out to work, I can wake and bake any morning I want to, I can stay in sweats all day and I can have ice cream for dinner if that strikes my fancy. My life is pretty much mine to do with as I like and part of that is making sure I laugh a lot and enjoy all the little pleasures that I didn't have time for when I was younger.

Hmmm? Looks suspiciously like spam. LMAO

I saw something a little weird today. The beautifil silver tric heads are starting to turn a little gray.

I wonder if this is the way CBD plants do it. Maybe the CBD is silver and the gray color is the CBD maturing (or, over maturing as it would likely be) instead of amber like THC.

Naaaa, couldn't be. I'm sure we would have heard about it before now. I'm not the first to grow a CBD strain. LOL

Still, they sure are pretty.

Well, I smoked my first joint of CBD yesterday. Since I don't get high on THC, I was kind of expecting to get high from the CBD. LOL

I must admit, I did feel a little bit of a 'relaxing' feeling while I was smoking the joint. About half way though, I found myself in a little fog gazing at the wall. Just like I used to feel back in the old days when I smoked a whole joint and got high half way through. LOL

And, I did notice for the first time in 40 years that I wasn't clenching my teeth.

So, maybe there is something to it. I'll need to do more testing.

It didn't taste very good. LOL Not real bad. Just not real good. LOL Albeit, I just pulled it a few days ago and let it dry on the table. Not exactly a proper dry and cure. LOL

I had to laugh at the gritting your teeth, i do that all day on sativa's. CBD does so much behind the scenes in helping your health. That relaxing is a good thing. I am sure i told you my trainer's REM sleep was increased by 2 hours a night, she looks different since that happened. And she is a beautiful 26-year-old. Think what it could do to us. I love this thread, thanks hack.

I took a few samples of each pheno and ran some tests on them today. I was a little disappointed to see the amount of THC being as high as it was. I was hoping for as close to zero THC as I could get. Sounds so wrong to hope for no THC. LOL

Anyway, I am going to send some samples off to a lab. And, I also need to do my own TLC on it but based on the quick color tests, I would say the THC content is probably low to moderate. If I had to put a number on it, probably about 7% to 10%. I can't put a percent number on the CBD since I don't have a color scale for maximum CBD like I do THC but if I had to guess based on all the tests I have run and the transparency of the results, I would say the CBD content is moderate to heavy.

Since I am going to send this to a lab, I am going to guess so I can see if I am close.....

7% THC - 12% to 15% CBD

Just for shits and giggles, here are some shots of the tests. I'll try to describe the pics as best I can.

Pic one is the test results after 15 minutes. As you can see, all 3 phenos are just about the same with pheno 2 being a tiny bit the winner. Pheno 2 was also the frostiest plant so it makes sense.

In the background, you can see my baselines. On the left rear is a nice Landrace Afghan. Very high in THC and almost zero CBD. On the right rear is some stems from the pheno 3. This should show the lowest amounts of everything.

The second shot is the results of the THC test. The lightest on the far right is the stems which is probably 1 or 2%. Center is the Afghan at somewhere around 15% to 20% (so say the breeders). Far left is the Med Tree Continuum. Looks about half way between the 2. Perhaps a little more. Low, moderate and heavy is about all I get with these tests (for now).

Third shot is the CBD tests. Since I don't have a max color like the Afghan for a 'heavy' we can only look at transparency. Left is Afghan (0% or close) and the right is the Med Tree Continuum. Looks about half way, again.

View attachment mtt-3.jpg

View attachment mtt-13.jpg

View attachment mtt-12.jpg

View attachment mtt-15.jpg

Well, it looks like, "going to send these out to a lab" was easier said than done.

Apparently, the labs need to keep records and they can get in trouble for testing outside their state.

No big deal. I have the TLC which is pretty accurate and the spectrometers are already under $1000 and there is open source software specifically for cannabis.

Home testing at all levels is just around the corner. The big lab, the little dispensary, the dealer, the pusher, the user.... everyone will have a testing device of some kind. LOL

Pretty fun stuff, anyway.

I got my Thin Layer Chromatography supplies this week so I am hoping to verify the accuracy of some of the tests I have run.

One thing I learned about high CBD is that an EARLY harvest is essential. Probably 6 weeks.

I was going to do an 8, 9 and 10 week harvest and as it turns out the plants were mature (some amber) at 8 weeks so I harvested all of it.

However, now, the big thing (for health) is CBG. CBG acid is the precursor to both THC and CBD so as more THC is produced, more CBG is used up (converted). The CBD also comes from the CBG so it's going to be touch and go trying to get the plants just when it has used some CBG for CBD production but has not used as much for THC production.

Since CBD content is bred into the strain, it seems logical enough that if you take it early (6 weeks) the CBG content will be high and the THC and CBD will be lower, albeit, from previous tests, about 50/50.

This should result is a 50/25/25 CBG/CBD/THC result.

Plus, the obvious advantage of harvesting so early in a perpetual setup.

So, I'll start TLC testing on these plants at about 4 weeks and hopefully I can watch the levels of each cannabanoid as they develop and result in a harvest that's high in CBG and CBD (75% of total) and low in THC (25% of total). So, if the plant was a 20% strain, it would be 15% CBG/CBD and 5% THC.

Where and how did you learn that harvesting early is essential? I don't think that my plants will have enough buddage at 6 weeks to want to harvest them that early?

Early harvest is simply logical if you want a high CBG (at least as far as I have read and learned).

The CBGa is the precursor to both THCa and CBDa. So, the CBGa is there first. Then, enzymes in the plant begin to convert the CBGa into CBDa and THCa. So, as the weeks pass and more and more THCa and CBDa become apparent, logically, there will be less CBGa. And, everything I have read concurs with this.

So, as strange as it sounds, you want to harvest the plant BEFORE it starts the process of converting CBGa into THCa and CBDa. Or, at least, early in the process (if you want SOME CBDa and THCa in the mix).

As far as yield...If you look at those time lapse things I have done, the bids sure seem to stop growing the last couple weeks as we wait for maturity. I always heard that the buds really pack it on the last 2 weeks but the pictures don't lie. I don't think I'll be losing any yield by harvesting at 6 or even 7 instead of 8 or 9 like I usually do.

I'm going to go back and look at that time lapse thing again. Each step is a day so it's easy to see the last 10 or 15 days.

I went back and looked at that time lapse I most recently posted and the one before that. In both cases, the buds stopped growing 1 to 2 weeks before harvest. ????

HG, please tell me I'm crazy. This is one of those things I have said so long, I just always believed it (buds pack it on the last 2 weeks). LMAO Maybe I am missing something but those buds are most definitely as big as they are going to get long before 8 weeks. More like 6 weeks.

Take a look and tell me what you think. I know I have heard you say the same thing. Are we both crazy? Not that it helps but it better than being crazy alone. LMAO

On the most recent time lapse, it's easy to see the time frame because the 3 MedTree plants are harvested 13 days before the LemonOG and you can see there's almost no new growth on the Lemon OH after the MedTree harvest.

What I have found is that the buds at 6 weeks may look good, but they are not dense. I believe that last 2 weeks they add on a bunch of weight--bulking up, more than growing up or out. I've got plants 4 weeks into 12/12 now--I will pay attention. I guess that I need to read up on CBG.

OK, that makes sense. I'll watch this next crop as it passes 6 weeks and see what happens.

Now that I have my home TLC kit, I can accurately measure THC, CBD and CBG with just a small sample. I can pull a small bud and start testing at 5 weeks and keep a record of the amount of each cannabanoid as it increases/decreases until 8 weeks at harvest.

Well, these babies are 6 weeks old and you were right, HG. There is no way they are ready for harvest.

The trichs are ready. Almost none are clear. Almost all are cloudy and there are even a few stray ambers here and there.

However, the buds are just not filled out yet. Those pics are deceiving. They make it look like the buds have stopped but in reality, they are still filling out.

I harvested the mothers at 8 weeks and they were ready.

I am taking samples today for testing. I'll take a sample every week and test them all for potency of CBD and THC.

This is definitely not the nicest smelling pot I have ever grown. LOL Not even dank or skunk smelling. Just bad. LOL Taste isn't all that bad. Not great but not bad. Rosin taste is horrible.

I hope to make caps out of much of this. I made some experimentals yesterday but I can't try them for a couple days when I have time.

Are you going to put bud in the caps? My plants hit 6 weeks on Sunday. The buds are still light and fluffy.

I wouldn't get any results from bud. I'll use rosin.

I made some Continuum caps yesterday but I have not tried them yet.

I take 1 gram of rosin and decarb it with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. That makes about 4ml of a 50/50 mix. That will fill 4 caps and be .25 grams of rosin each.

Last time I did it this way, it was too weak and I had to take 3 caps. I made it the same this time just to compare my CBD resistance with my THC resistance. I would love to take just 1 cap. I hate taking pills.

In the future I may skip the oil. If you take the pill on a full stomach there should be no need to mix anything with the rosin.

I bought the cutest little beaker set. 10ml, 20ml and 30ml. The 10ml beaker is perfect for making these tiny batches. They are Pyrex so they are oven usable.

My buds are nice and full. I can just tell they have more to go. And, since my last harvest (the mothers) tested at 1:1 after 8 weeks, I'm OK with 8 weeks. I imagine the only diff between 8 weeks and 6 weeks (besides size) would be some underdeveloped THC. I ASSume (from what little I have read) that the CBD is already mature.

I may chop a few days earlier. We'll see.

I smoked 5 joints of this with my morning coffee this morning and was asleep by Noon. Took a 3 hour nap. Guess it's more nighty night pot. LOL

Can't say it did anything medical for me. I'm still in pain from head to toe and I am depressed and cranky. Hoping the caps may do something.

Sure would be nice to have a single day of no pain. Been a looooong time. LOL

Here is a pic of mine at 6 weeks.

To be honest, these are closer than I thought. I am seeing more amber every day and I don't like it.

I am going to let them go another week and see how they look.

Man, that pheno 3 sure towers over the others.. doesn't it.

View attachment 0320.jpg

Good looking plants Hack, when you say 6 weeks, when do you start your count? When the seeds germinate, when you plant them in dirt, or when the emerge from your grow medium? Assuming seeds I guess instead of clones.

6 weeks from 12/12.

They were about 7 weeks old when I flowered them, so about 13 weeks now.

Something to think about regarding CBD....

When decarbing pot for edibles, maximizing for CBD is different than for THC. So far, best I have read is 290F for 60 to 90 minutes.

IMO that is going to kill about all of your THC. I am thinking it will convert to CBN.

240F for 40 minutes isn't converting much CBDa to CBD.

I am running some tests now to try to confirm.

Just something to think about if you want CBD edibles.

Something to think about regarding CBD....

When decarbing pot for edibles, maximizing for CBD is different than for THC. So far, best I have read is 290F for 60 to 90 minutes.

IMO that is going to kill about all of your THC. I am thinking it will convert to CBN.

240F for 40 minutes isn't converting much CBDa to CBD.

I am running some tests now to try to confirm.

Just something to think about if you want CBD edibles.

I definitely interested in your results...

Latest posts

Back