Mr. Hushpuppy and Water Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pone

Reaction score
I am going to bump this up to the front in hopes that you will see it. The numbers have all run together so I put hyphens in between. Thank you for your help!

Hey Mr. Hushpuppy,
I appreciate your help and the heads up on water quality. I went online and retrieved a water report from my water co-op. Can you help me decipher what it all means please? I'll be doing some reading to try and figure it out for sure. Here are the results as follows.

Compound- Avg. Result- Recommended Max.

Alkalinity Total mg/l- 65- NS
Calcium mg/l- 18- NS
Chloride mg/l- 23- 250
Hardness Total mg/l as Calcium- 120- NS
Magnesium mg/l- 18- NS
PH- 9.3 - 10.1- NS
Potassium mg/l- 6.5- NS
Silica mg/l- 18- NS
Sodium mg/l- 56- NS
Sulfate mg/l- 150- NS

Total Dissolved Solids- 290- 500

NS = No Standard

So there it is, can you please help with interpretation? I will continue to read and find some answers. Your help ( and everyone's here ) is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch..

Pone

Hello Pone; I'm no water tech so I could be wrong on this(anyone have information that is different, chime in and correct me). But appears you have mild calcium/sulphate in your water. Its not too bad but it seems like it fluxuates a good bit which is odd but I doubt its enough of a problem to worry about. If you are going to run synthetic and/or hydro, get your TDS meter and your pH meter and every time you draw your water (I use 5gal buckets from Lowes/HD) measure it out the same every time. Then check your baselines of both pH and TDS(given in ppm/parts per million) and write it down on something.
You may find that it will fluxuate on a certain cycle, or rarely fluxuate. But once you figure that, you will have that baseline to work from when making up your nutrient solution.

Latest posts

Back