advice/feedback on my lighting, soil, seed and overall design please? first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dawson

Reaction score
i have been lurking around a bit and reading before finally joining today to post.

i am tentatively planning to buy a 250watts hps system, fox farms ocean forest soil, still need to pick a fert, a timer of course, and some fem seeds from nirvana-shop.

first, the area i'll be working with isa closet, its about 43" wide x 71" tall x 27" deep.

If I figure that the light will be about 11 inches tall, (im basically guessing and 11 makes the math simpler
icon_mrgreen.gif
) that leaves 60 inches minus say 8 inches space that needs to be kept between the light and the tops of the plants, and i dunno say another 6 inches of soil like from the bottom of the pot up to where the plant actually starts. because i am assuming when it is said that a plant will grow to 90cm, they are measuring from where the plant emerges from the soil to its very top (not from the bottom of the pot to the very top). If I am correct, that leaves me with about 46" or 3'10" for the plants to grow in.

does anyone have a particular strain they would recommend? i need something that will fit in the space i've got of course, so it can't need to grow higher than 3'10" for example. also id like a decent yield and strong thc, given the choice i would prefer a mixed or sativa high as opposed to a completely indica i-cant-get-up-off-the-couch kind of high. as stated before i was thinking about buying fem seeds to save the wasted time and resources of growing several plants up to the point where you can sex them and then having to discard the males. nirvana-shop sells kaya, medusa, northern bright, PPP, snow white, supergirl, venus, and wonder woman as fem seeds. are any of these a good choice?

Will I be able to grow two plants side by side in this setup? Or possibly even 3 in a kind of triangle formation? is the 250 a good light choice? I am worried that say 400 would be too damn hot, and 150 might not be enough... i should mention, i cannot really cut ventilation holes in the walls, im just not that handy. so the best i can possibly do is to have a fan in there, but it wont have a source of fresh air for intake or exhaust purposes. the room the closet is in maintains a moderate temperature (say 65-70 degrees)

basically i am planning to put the seedlings, once sprouted and potted, in the closet on an 18/6 lighting schedule, then change to 12/12 when they are ready to flower. i am still not 100% sure how to best judge when they are ready to start this flowering phase, advice anyone? also is 18/6 best for veg or should i go with even more like 20/4 or 24 hrs nonstop light?

another possibility i considered is to start with CFLs, in another closet of the same dimensions, from seedling sprouts up until they are ready to flower, then move them into the other closet with the HPS for flowering. would this be a good idea? this would also enable me to have a couple going at once.

another issue is, id like to avoid constantly buying seeds so i was hoping to clone... but if i only have one closet, i assume i cannot clone, correct? that is to say, once you take cuttings to clone them, you have to start vegging them right? so if i took cuttings from plants i couldn't keep the cuttings/clones in the same closet because the bigger plants would be ready to flower way before the cuttings would... but if i had that second cfl closet, i could put the clones in there, right?

as for the soil, if i use fox farms ocean forest what ferts are a good choice and when should i begin to introduce them? i have heard suggestions to use something called 'peter's 20-20-20' but i am not sure what this is exactly or how much to add to water and when. while i am on this topic, is it better to start in a small pot, then transplant to a medium pot later, than finally to a large pot? or should you just start in a giant pot and never change it? if you do change it, naturally every time you are adding soil you should be laying off the ferts for a while, right?

i am sorry to make such a long post but hopefully it will be very helpful for everyone else who is having the same concerns as me. thanks so much for reading!!!

to the place to be if you want to grow mj.I hope more experienced grows add there knowledge. First off, fox farm soils are organic. That is what I use but you have to use organic nutes. Just stay with the fox farm brand of nutes also. When you take a clone it has already been through the vegitation stage because they come off plants that have been in veg.for weeks. When you swith to 12/12 light schedule you find out quickly if it is male or female and then take your clone cuts from thre known ladies and completely throw out any and all males. From expereince you will change your room as you go. You can actully flower your plant when you want to.Some growers here do there schedule by "time" in veg and some go by size of the plant. Most mj will veg for about 7 weeks and then it is off to flower.

Grow MJ is a wonderful experience ... when to flower your plants is up to you ... like the last poster stated ... some go by time some by size ... I usually go by size ... you've got a big enough grow area to get a good yield ...

... I would recommend Northern Lights ... Blueberry ... any skunk strain would be good for newbies ... those strains are very forgiving ...:hubba:

... if you are set on fem seed go ahead, but it would be cheaper to get regular seeds and weed out the males ... once you do that you can clone the females ... I have never grown any of the listed fems ...:ignore:

... if you can leave the door open ... like I do with my closet set up 400 won't get it too hot ... and you can support more than three ... but if not ... 250 should work ... with a fan ...
... you have two options when sexing ... one ... you can take clones from the plants ... make sure you mark each one accordingly ... put them in (clones) 12/12 light ... find and keep the girls ... get rid of the boys and plants you got the clones from ...or ... two ... when the plants are big enough put them in 12/12 light ... the girls take and return to 18/6 ... the boys get rid of ... when the girl get big enough ... clone ... then put the mother into flower again ...
... in the same diminsion I think regular flouresence lights would be better ... that way you are sure you're getting enough light.

... you could divide your veg area where one level (using shelves) would be for clones and the lower level for veg ... cloning is the only way to go once you find your girls ...guarrentee a full closet of ladies ... :D

...peter's is a good fert. ... and it is best to start with small pots and work your why up ... gives the roots time to develop ...

... take it easy with the fert ... use less than the directions ...in fact half of the recommendations ...

... good luck to you ... hope this helps ... ;)

Latest posts

Back