pcduck's first DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcduck

Feed the soil, not the plant
Reaction score
Well after much reading in the forums of Marijuana Passion, I decided to try my first DWC indoor.

I sprouted a bean from some bag seed of bubble/kush about a week ago and today I built my 5 gallon DWC. Or this is what I think a 5 gallon DWC looks like. Tomorrow if everything is dried and cured on my bucket I am going to transplant my bean to my bucket. Never done a DWC before so any suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I posted some pictures of what I have done so far.

100_0858.JPG

100_0862.JPG

100_0866.JPG

looks good to me.i also grow using DWC.its so easy and the plants love the,all you can eat buffet.i will never grow any other way.so efficent.if i were you,i would use the weighted air stones.so much easier.they are reound and come in various sizes.i use the big ones.no mess with gluing.just drop em in, and they are easier to take out and clean.the airstones do get a build up on them also.

Thanks Andy. I have grown in soil before but not DWC. I was really impressed with the journals and results, so I figured I give it a try.

Below is my air stone. It is the biggest I could find, measures 4 1/2 inches across and the dark blue section is 3 3/4 inches. Its pretty heavy but I siliconed it, anyways we will see. This is the air pump I have to use. Hopeful to get another bean sprouted in order to use both outlets of the air pump.

100_0870.JPG

100_0871.JPG

100_0872.JPG

that will work my friend.but i'm telling you that the industrial air pumps rock.i use a 650 gpm for up to 8 plants and it rolls the water with plenty of air bubbles popping.instead of using a posibly toxic glue to secure the airstone,why not just drop 1 in the bucket.the ones i use cost about 4-5 bucks apiece and are worth it.i too was gluing stones at 1st,nadda no more.you are on the right track and keep it up.i do have some aquarium pumps for spares.the industrial ones rock.pm me any time bro,i'm here

I do envision some improvements with this set up especially if I like the results. I have seen some bigger air pumps like yours Andy but thought they were probably to big and noisy for my set up. How noisy is your pump Andy? Can you hear it with the door closed? Just trying to get some idea if I would need to sound proof it some if I go to a bigger pump.

hey bro,no problem with the sound.i sit my pump on a piece of rubber matting.i sometimes put my hand on it to make sure its working.it only cost 60-70 bucks also.i use a manifold with it to run multiple buckets or air lines

I have a question about DWC. Is it possible to use all organic nutes with this, say like different guano teas, or EWC teas as the nutrient solution, instead of using the run of the mill hydro nutes with water? I've never really seen anyone mention it before, so i thought i'd ask. Thanks

yes there are organic nutes to run in hydro.just not sure of the names right now,kinda buzzed and tooo fugged to look

solarz said:
I have a question about DWC. Is it possible to use all organic nutes with this, say like different guano teas, or EWC teas as the nutrient solution, instead of using the run of the mill hydro nutes with water? I've never really seen anyone mention it before, so i thought i'd ask. Thanks

This is my first DWC solarz but from what information I have read people do organics in DWC. I think GH even has some additive (Black Diamond or something like that) that they say to hang in the reservoir. But I have not tried it.

andy52 said:
looks good to me.i also grow using DWC.its so easy and the plants love the,all you can eat buffet.i will never grow any other way.so efficent.if i were you,i would use the weighted air stones.so much easier.they are reound and come in various sizes.i use the big ones.no mess with gluing.just drop em in, and they are easier to take out and clean.the airstones do get a build up on them also.

Andy,,is there somewhere it shows you how to build this DWC that you are using? Sure would be nice to know how.

I'm not talking about an organic line of nutes...i'm talking about using a guano tea that has been brewed. So i guess i'm asking if i could use my "own organic" nutes to use in the DWC bucket.

Example: using High N bat guano mixed with liquid karma, molasses, and water to use as my bubbling nutrient solution??

solarz I would think that as long as your nutrient solution was able to be agitated and aerated enough everything should be all right. If you try it let me know how it works

i've been thinking about making just one 5 gallon DWC bucket and use strictly guanos, castings, liquid karma and molasses mixed with water as the nutrient solution. I want to do this and compare the growth rate to the MassP coco buckets that i am currently running. I just want to use the same additives that i put in the coco buckets with the DWC. I think i may try it out here within the next week, as soon as i can find a top for the 5 gal bucket i currently have.

solarz said:
i've been thinking about making just one 5 gallon DWC bucket and use strictly guanos, castings, liquid karma and molasses mixed with water as the nutrient solution. I want to do this and compare the growth rate to the MassP coco buckets that i am currently running. I just want to use the same additives that i put in the coco buckets with the DWC. I think i may try it out here within the next week, as soon as i can find a top for the 5 gal bucket i currently have.

I think that, that would be an interesting study. Both of these ways seem efficient, Mass P's and DWC. I don't understand why your teas shouldn't work. Let me know the out come or start a journal. I am just looking for the easiest with the best outcome.:D

solarz, molasses will gum up ur system eventually. look into carbo load by adv. nutes. 100% organic

cowboy,all ya need is a 5 gal bucket,a airstone,some air tubing,net pots hydroton.you will need a tds and ph meter also.i rarely use my tds meter as have the mix down.i do once in awhile check to make sure its ok tho.i do use it as i bump up the nutes,just to be sure i do not have too much.oh,i use distilled water until i get my RO system hooked up.tired of hauling water,lol

docfishwrinkle said:
solarz, molasses will gum up ur system eventually. look into carbo load by adv. nutes. 100% organic

doc, I don't quite understand what could gum up in a DWC, besides the air stone? I am new at this DWC stuff and just wondering? I could understand some clogging in a drip or spray system.

These pictures were taken roughly 24 hours apart,after being placed in my DWC. There seems to be significant plant growth already.:hubba: I needed the pictures in order to tell since I am constantly in my room lately.:D

100_0868.JPG

100_0888.JPG

pcduck said:
These pictures were taken roughly 24 hours apart,after being placed in my DWC. There seems to be significant plant growth already.:hubba: I needed the pictures in order to tell since I am constantly in my room lately.:D

Damn man the girls looks great and is growing really fast. Any way you could take a picture of the root system as well? I'm curious to see how large they actually get.

you had better put them in flower before they get too big,because they do shoot up.not now,just talking about later on.do not let them get away from you.

Latest posts

Back