What's in Roddy's Garden Today??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have to stale the Kandy Kush up, she was falling all over herself towards the end...only breakages were more purposeful (taste test) than accidental, and that taste wasn't counted in final harvest, I figure we actually yielded more like 10oz

It does take a month longer, but this just means I get more time to enjoy the babes' grow lol...so far, not too bad with plants being healthy though. Not saying there wasn't issues, just that they were relatively simple fixes and more a scare than an issue!

My Big Band is soooo very happy, her leaves are pointing straight up toward the light, all nice and green! I attribute this to transplanting from a 5gal pot to a n 18gal just before budding (actually, I transplanted her a week into budding lol)....the new soil feeding the babe seems to be the ticket! Future grows will end in either a 10gal or 5gal smart pot, doing tests now to determine.

I loved that Kandy Kush, my first genetics grow and she was great fun...have another in veg right now! The high beats everything I've grown or smoked recently, and has won the praises of all my friends lol...awesome!!

Rod bud 2 001.JPG Here's some pics from the current grow, surprised the camera did this good lol. This is the WW, she's looking good!

Rod bud 2 002.JPG Each of these nuggests are like pine cones in shape and size, this should make for a good harvest size!

Rod bud 2 008.JPG Another shot of the WW's many colas...and a glimpse at the Big Band in the background. Notice her leaves all pointing upward!

Rod bud 2 006.JPG Although this pic doesn't do anything for showing buds, the Big Band has some really beautiful billowy bulbous buds which have a very fruity smell to them! I liken her to my Pineapple Express in both plant structure and bud, but I'm thinking the addition of the body lighting will boost her yield considerably....maybe 6 oz of her??

Rod bud 2 007.JPG This shows the last of the 3 in bud room at this time, the Train Wreck! She's a hefty 34" tall and 32" around...SWEET! I tied her down during veg, this made for the plant to be bushy,,,she has a bit of a bend to her main stem from the tying down lol I'm looking for big results from this one as well, she's really beautiful looking (just starting to show signs of buds). Light in foreground is the 400w used for body lighting.

Roddy said:
View attachment 161552 Here's some pics from the current grow, surprised the camera did this good lol. This is the WW, she's looking good!

View attachment 161553 Each of these nuggests are like pine cones in shape and size, this should make for a good harvest size!

View attachment 161554 Another shot of the WW's many colas...and a glimpse at the Big Band in the background. Notice her leaves all pointing upward!

View attachment 161555 Although this pic doesn't do anything for showing buds, the Big Band has some really beautiful billowy bulbous buds which have a very fruity smell to them! I liken her to my Pineapple Express in both plant structure and bud, but I'm thinking the addition of the body lighting will boost her yield considerably....maybe 6 oz of her??

View attachment 161556 This shows the last of the 3 in bud room at this time, the Train Wreck! She's a hefty 34" tall and 32" around...SWEET! I tied her down during veg, this made for the plant to be bushy,,,she has a bit of a bend to her main stem from the tying down lol I'm looking for big results from this one as well, she's really beautiful looking (just starting to show signs of buds). Light in foreground is the 400w used for body lighting.
How do you attach photos singly with captions like that? Also, you said first genetics grow... Do you mean first seeds you've bought? Or is genetics a seed bank? How's the taste, is it a fruity or deisel-like flavor? I liked ICE for the buzz, but blue mystic is by far my favorite tasting so far... Not had but like four strains... Bubblelicious was good, but blue mystic was like a berry flavor! GREAT! BTW... How long are you vegging these ladies to get them this big!? How many this size would jam into a 3x3x6 tent do you think?

Gixxerman420 said:
How do you attach photos singly with captions like that? Also, you said first genetics grow... Do you mean first seeds you've bought? Or is genetics a seed bank? How's the taste, is it a fruity or deisel-like flavor? I liked ICE for the buzz, but blue mystic is by far my favorite tasting so far... Not had but like four strains... Bubblelicious was good, but blue mystic was like a berry flavor! GREAT! BTW... How long are you vegging these ladies to get them this big!? How many this size would jam into a 3x3x6 tent do you think?

For the pics, I load them using the manage attachments, then in the menu at top, see attachments...this will show you each picture you uploaded for that post. I attach one, then put in any info and move to the next! :)

Genetics, yes, this would be the first grow using bought seeds (other than bought in a bag lmao). She was a bonus seed (UFO) in an order a friend made, he gave me the seed.

Taste....a bit diesel-like tasting, but has a sweet side as well! Great taste, she has just enough "punch" to take your breath away, but doesn't hurt you!

Veg...as long as it takes to reach desired hieght, around 32" or so. It often takes around 6-8 weeks or so. I also tend to let them veg as long as needed due to room restrictions at the time, so some veg longer than I expect...and some not as long!

For a room that size, I'd say not many lol. The Kandy Kush alone took up about 3'x5' of grow room!

Roddy said:
For a room that size, I'd say not many lol. The Kandy Kush alone took up about 3'x5' of grow room!
:rofl: yeah I'd say I may have issues getting more than one into a 3x3 tent! Thx again man!

But for the yield and high, you could always veg to desired height for your needs! I'm currently vegging one which will go into and stay in a 5gal smart pot, we'll see if this makes a difference in size or yield.

Have been sick the last few, so sick I couldn't smoke anything...but tried really hard to smoke the PEx since it has the smoothest draw...so I haven't had a look-see at the gals very much. Went into the veg room today and inspected, WOW! My LSD has 14 nodes at 16"sq, one OG Kush has 12 nodes in 15"sq while the other seems to be a different pheno, she is straight up and almost stretchy looking, but still the same 15"...just no bushiness. Next up is the Great White Shark which is growing upward more than outward, but has had some strange nute issue from get-go which has killed all the large fan leaves...only the large fan leaves. She too is 15" tall, but not bushy...yet. All these gals came out of the ground Feb 1.

Will try to get pics in a bit...

I think I'll veg to about 18-20" and flower six of the ladies in 3 gallon pots... Although I may decide to go larger since I have the extra room... I have been jamming eight 11" pots into the tent, but with 6, maybe I can do 5 gallon pots... I'll check up on that! Have you ever "recycled" soil? Suggested? I just don't know how tossing six 5 gal. pots of dirt out after only two months of use would make my pockets feel!:D

It'll be more like 3 months (2 months budding) and the pots I've used had little recoverable soil since the roots were so thick throughout....yes, even the 18gal tubs. I suspect the roots to fully take up the room in the smart pots I am now using, leaving even less recoverable soil. And yes, soil is expensive, but think about how much the end product is in comparison!! :D The trade-off is quite manageable if you keep your eye on the prize!!

With the smaller area, if you're game, try a smart pot in the 3gal beside a 5gal regular pot and see if you notice a difference. I believe (no proof) the smart pots will grow as big of plants in smaller containers since the roots are thicker and have more uptake ability! This boils down to you having room for the same amount of ladies in less soil...less money spent on soil! I doubt you'll gain room for more ladies since, as far as I've noticed, my gals are growing LARGE in their new pots! I am currently trying this experiment using 2 sizes smart pots...10gal and 5gal...to see if there's a difference or if I'm wasting money myself.

:ciao: Roddy..looks good for what we can see....Have ya tried useing the force flash on ya camera when shooting under HPS?...Try and hold the camera at the same level as the light and shoot pic with flash on...I have to take a crap load of pics to get a few good ones...hope this helps...take care and be safe

:48:

Yep, 4U, but the camera is really cheap and just no good. I have a very expensive one here, but it's needing repair which I am impatient to get done!! Heading upstairs to take pics of the veg gals now, should come out fair since less light interference, we'll see!!

THANKS, my friend!!

Well, took some more pics.....not very good ones, I am afraid. Can't believe how junky this camera really is.

Rod bud 2 003.JPG This is the LSD by Barney's Farm, she's about 16" tall and around, nice and green, very happy with tons of nodes and branchings.

Rod bud 2 004.JPG Looking almost like the LSD's twin, here's an OG Kush by Reserva Prevada. Also about 16" tall and around, also very happy and green with many nodes and branches.

Rod bud 2 005.JPG This is also an OG Kush, notice how she is more upright and stretched looking even though under similar conditions save pot size which is 5gal smart pot instead of 10gal like the other.

Rod bud 2 006.JPG Last one here is the Great White Shark, this pic shows nothing of the issue with the drying and dying large fan leaves which seems to have slowed. Might have fixed her nute issue.

Now for a few budding gals??

Rod bud 2 008.JPG Here's the Widow, the brownish looking leaves on her are actually turning purple...to give an idea as to how worthless this camera truly is. Buds tight and covered with white crystals. 53" to top of cola.

Rod bud 2 010.JPG You can't even see the golf ball sized buds on this, the Big Band...but they're there! the cola should be quite impressive! Her leaves are still pointing straight up, she is as green and happy as the day I put her in budding, around a month ago... 34" from pot to top.

Rod bud 2 011.JPG Train Wreck just beginning to show her buds! She is soooo thick and lush...WOW! HUGE...36" tall and around...and growing! She should get taller.

Roddy said:
It'll be more like 3 months (2 months budding) and the pots I've used had little recoverable soil since the roots were so thick throughout....yes, even the 18gal tubs. I suspect the roots to fully take up the room in the smart pots I am now using, leaving even less recoverable soil. And yes, soil is expensive, but think about how much the end product is in comparison!! :D The trade-off is quite manageable if you keep your eye on the prize!!

With the smaller area, if you're game, try a smart pot in the 3gal beside a 5gal regular pot and see if you notice a difference. I believe (no proof) the smart pots will grow as big of plants in smaller containers since the roots are thicker and have more uptake ability! This boils down to you having room for the same amount of ladies in less soil...less money spent on soil! I doubt you'll gain room for more ladies since, as far as I've noticed, my gals are growing LARGE in their new pots! I am currently trying this experiment using 2 sizes smart pots...10gal and 5gal...to see if there's a difference or if I'm wasting money myself.
sorry, should have clarified... I meant two months flowering because I'm going to wait until just before flip to transplant into the bigger pots...Do you think I really need 5 gal. pots to fill a 3x3 tent with 6 plants? Or would 3 gal. suffice? Just trying to conserve where I can you know! I'm thinking about perhaps doing three in 3 gal. and 3 in 5 gal. and see if there is a noticable difference! Thanx for the input!

I'm a size guy, I feel bigger pots=bigger plants/yield. I've heard arguments otherwise and am glad others can do as well or better in smaller pots, I think this means more work as well which could mean more mistakes for us lesser experienced growers since this means less soil which obviously means more feeding/watering. This is my opinion and could be flawed, would love to hear differing views if so here!!

However, I am feeling the love from these smart pots, thinking I wasted my money on the 10gals and will be picking up more 5gals...

One thing I have felt has helped me was transplanting before bud....but now will instead be refreshing the soil since need for bigger pot doesn't look needed with smarts. I filled the smarts to 3/4 and will be topping off at bud. I hope it works as well, but also feel the better root system will help here, will be adding some bat guano and molasses as needed!

Ok, something was said about soil waste (throwing away 5gal pots of soil)...I've thought about this and, what about emptying the used pot onto the compost pile for a recycling?

Roddy said:
I'm a size guy, I feel bigger pots=bigger plants/yield. I've heard arguments otherwise and am glad others can do as well or better in smaller pots, I think this means more work as well which could mean more mistakes for us lesser experienced growers since this means less soil which obviously means more feeding/watering. This is my opinion and could be flawed, would love to hear differing views if so here!!

However, I am feeling the love from these smart pots, thinking I wasted my money on the 10gals and will be picking up more 5gals...

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have flowered in 2,3,5, and am currently flowering in 8 gallon pots. I have fit as many as 30 plants under my 2 600HPS and as few as 5 into roughly the same amount of square footage. So now I am seeing the advantages/disadvantages to both sides of the argument. I'm sure there are many things I am overlooking but these are just a few things I thought about.

Small pot&plant combo pro's:
1) a sick or destroyed plant affects your grow less because it represents a smaller portion of your total potential yield.
2) overall everything weighs less. When you are high and tired it is not fun moving around 8 gallon pots with large plants and wet soil.
3) The chance for more variety. More individual pots means you could grow as many strains as you have pots in your flowering room.

Large pot&plant combo pro's:
1) Many legal growers are limited in the number of plants they can grow. Obviously larger plants and pots would be the better choice for better yield. Also, if you are growing illegally and are busted, the number of plants being grown could factor into the charges.
2) Watering is easier. Much easier to water 5 plants than 30.

I think your question is a very interesting one Roddy and I would bet people could debate here about pot size to the end of time:D

-SSF-

(PS-plants are looking great!)

You should absolutely recycle your soil! Doesn't even need to go into the compost heap, but that's the very least you should do.

I just picked up some smart pots (I've never used them before) and I'm prepping to use them- but 2 things I've been told are they should be your final transplant and they are a pain to clean out because of the way the roots grow into the sides of the pot.

But more importantly, you can get away with smaller pots (so ask me why I bought the 7 gallon smart pots :eek: ).

Looking great Roddy! Good luck with them!

SensiStarFan said:
2) overall everything weighs less. When you are high and tired it is not fun moving around 8 gallon pots with large plants and wet soil.

There's a "NO HIGH" rule when it comes to time to work on the plants...watering, feeding, moving around or anything at all. I know a mistake means someone isn't gonna be happy... :doh:

Roddy said:
Ok, something was said about soil waste (throwing away 5gal pots of soil)...I've thought about this and, what about emptying the used pot onto the compost pile for a recycling?
There's a "NO HIGH" rule when it comes to time to work on the plants...watering, feeding, moving around or anything at all. I know a mistake means someone isn't gonna be happy

By the way I'm a size guy too I prefer the bigger pots. And I recycle my soil. I use pro-mix BX and I add nothing to it. I grow and flower my plants using GH-3 part nutes. At the end of flower I do a flush for a few days with just plain 6.5 ph water to not only flush the plants but flush all the excess nutrients out of the soil. Then after harvesting I shake the root mass into a huge plastic tub and then re-use that soil.

How can you NOT work in your garden high? I get high on purpose to work in my garden, makes it so much more fun.
-SSF-

Your ladies are lookin' awesome Roddy :aok:
SensiStarFan said:
How can you NOT work in your garden high? I get high on purpose to work in my garden, makes it so much more fun.
-SSF-
:yeahthat: Being baked in the garden is just great. I love occasionaly smoking with them too, it's like bonding :rofl:

Being high with the ladies is allowed, being high while tending to them isn't lol...I smoke with my ladies every day, sit and watch them grow...I know their every inch...but I just wouldn't want a simple highon mistake to rob me of much hard work and irreplaceable meds.:eek: :doh:

And trust me, I'm prone to stupid mistakes without being high!!:D

And THANKS, my friend!! I am really having a lot of fun learning all this stuff!!

Well, it worked out that poor ol Roddy was sick as a dog and couldn't make an order during the promo :( I order with a friend to split shipping etc, and just couldn't get together to make the order. Sad, but life...

Yesterday, however, I was able to get with my bud and we ordered a few seeds:

MY ORDER...5 Barney's Farm Vanilla Kush and 5 Barney's Farm Red Diesel....all I could truly afford at this time lol

Next batch will be dropped soon, going to be fun deciding which to grow next.

Latest posts

Back