Second Grow "Papaya"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcane

Just Wanta Grow!
Reaction score
Just need to try Another grow, winter or not, got these 5 beans that just wanta grow..did couple changes to room[3'x4'x8'] to help with temps. room is in unheated garage, so I am kind of worried..
Insulated floor, got heater & dehumidifier, Running 600w MH-Hps Dimmable Ballast,with vented hood..
I will need all the help I can get....Please...
Questions for now..
To run lights 18/6 or 24/7 ?? Veg under the full 600w or adj.down?
Temps & R.H.should be lights on & off?
Soil available off top of my head Roots Organic 707 or Dr.Earth,sure that there is plenty more.. Any suggestions?

I hope to keep this thread going through the grow any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks

View attachment 2007-01-01 00.00.00-8.jpg

View attachment 2007-01-01 00.00.00-9.jpg

View attachment 2007-01-01 00.00.00-10.jpg

View attachment 2007-01-01 00.00.00-11.jpg

I say go for it. Once you get the growing bug, you can't stop :) First thing, veg your plants under 24hr light. Use the full 600w of MH but when they first start out, back the light up to about 2' then as the seedlings come up and begin to grow true leaves, they will tell you if the light needs to be closer to them by stretching or not. As they get more leaves going, you will need to bring the light closer to them as they will want more light energy.

Next, you may want to do a little trick that I like to employ. it is the space within a space method for moderating the atmosphere that is going to the plants. Remember that the plants will be warmed by the light and the energy transfer process of photosynthesis. While the ideal grow temps are mid 70s, the air coming into the grow space can be cooler than that. You can allow the air to be as cool as mid 60s coming into the grow space as it will warm up some from the lighting.

Where you need to do your heating and modifying is in the outer room(the garage). So you can do this simply by heating the garage space just enough to get the temps in the top of the garage to the mid 60s, then pipe your intake from the top of the garage space, rather than from the floor where the air is going to be the coldest. This may require a second centrifugal fan that will pull air from the ceiling, down and into the grow space. This is all dependent on where you live and how cold it gets there. If there is a significant amount of cold that would be hard to heat to mid 60s, then you can cheat a little by recirculating the grow space air into the garage so that the heat of the lights will be added to the garage space.

If you do this recirculating of heated air then you will need to separate the air that is feeding the plants CO2 and exhausting O2 air, from the air that is feeding cool air to the lights and exhausting heated air. This will require you to have 2 fans and 2 separate ventilation systems. You may not require the extra fan to pull air from the ceiling of the garage to the grow room so that one can be used to pull fresh air (from the ceiling of the garage to the grow space) and then exhaust to the outer world. While at the same time, the second fan would be pulling cold air from the floor of the garage to the lights in the grow and exhaust back out into the garage so that the cooler air is heated by the lights which is/are being cooled by the garage air. You will be surprised by the amount of heating that the lights do.

Now while this will work quite well during veg, it will be less effective during flower due to the lights being off half of the time. I recommend that you run the flower lighting during the coldest time, which is at night, then the heater will have to carry the load during the day. You can offset the heater cost if you employ the use of a very small flame heat source. You can use one of the very small commercial heaters that run on propane for this, and you will have the added bonus of the extra CO2 generated by the fire. Something like this might work well in this situation: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Blackcat-5033-B455-Catalytic-Camping-Propane-Heater-/321917726010

If you need some help with figuring the particulars of this setup, just ask :)

I say go for it. Once you get the growing bug, you can't stop :) First thing, veg your plants under 24hr light. Use the full 600w of MH but when they first start out, back the light up to about 2' then as the seedlings come up and begin to grow true leaves, they will tell you if the light needs to be closer to them by stretching or not. As they get more leaves going, you will need to bring the light closer to them as they will want more light energy.

Next, you may want to do a little trick that I like to employ. it is the space within a space method for moderating the atmosphere that is going to the plants. Remember that the plants will be warmed by the light and the energy transfer process of photosynthesis. While the ideal grow temps are mid 70s, the air coming into the grow space can be cooler than that. You can allow the air to be as cool as mid 60s coming into the grow space as it will warm up some from the lighting.

Where you need to do your heating and modifying is in the outer room(the garage). So you can do this simply by heating the garage space just enough to get the temps in the top of the garage to the mid 60s, then pipe your intake from the top of the garage space, rather than from the floor where the air is going to be the coldest. This may require a second centrifugal fan that will pull air from the ceiling, down and into the grow space. This is all dependent on where you live and how cold it gets there. If there is a significant amount of cold that would be hard to heat to mid 60s, then you can cheat a little by recirculating the grow space air into the garage so that the heat of the lights will be added to the garage space.

If you do this recirculating of heated air then you will need to separate the air that is feeding the plants CO2 and exhausting O2 air, from the air that is feeding cool air to the lights and exhausting heated air. This will require you to have 2 fans and 2 separate ventilation systems. You may not require the extra fan to pull air from the ceiling of the garage to the grow room so that one can be used to pull fresh air (from the ceiling of the garage to the grow space) and then exhaust to the outer world. While at the same time, the second fan would be pulling cold air from the floor of the garage to the lights in the grow and exhaust back out into the garage so that the cooler air is heated by the lights which is/are being cooled by the garage air. You will be surprised by the amount of heating that the lights do.

Now while this will work quite well during veg, it will be less effective during flower due to the lights being off half of the time. I recommend that you run the flower lighting during the coldest time, which is at night, then the heater will have to carry the load during the day. You can offset the heater cost if you employ the use of a very small flame heat source. You can use one of the very small commercial heaters that run on propane for this, and you will have the added bonus of the extra CO2 generated by the fire. Something like this might work well in this situation: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Blackcat-5033-B455-Catalytic-Camping-Propane-Heater-/321917726010

If you need some help with figuring the particulars of this setup, just ask :)

Thanks for the info Hushpuppy. My electric heater was drying my plant leaves out while lowering the humidity down to 24%. Not good. I like the draw the heat from the ceiling as my ceiling is 12' high. I'm off to home depot.

Nice grow room you have there mrcane.

Thanks H.P. lots good info; first thing look at putting a T in my exhaust to redirect back to garage..

I've been thinking about doing a y valve in my exhaust. So I can allow some exhausted air back into the bedroom. For the winter months, it will help with heat. Shouldn't take much air.

I'll be tuned in for this grow. I have three papaya beans left, I had two females last time, but a light fell and the two papayas ended up getting culled. Needed to cut a few plants out, and the poorest ones got the draft card. I may pop mine soon, can't decide what to run next run.

Yes you definitely want 24/7 and do not want the heater in the room with the plants, i took HP's advice about heating the room the tent/closet is in rather then heating the closet/tent itself,

O.K. put a Tee in the exhaust couple baffles misc. parts $45. installed ..think this will work well, does not direct all the air but lot of it.
Might be till after T-Day to pop em, weather depending, we might camp that week..

:watchplant:Greenest of mojo Cane... I will be watching...:watchplant:

Thank you Rose, we really want to see if we can grow year round.. And grow some decent bud.. The first grow was Not so good for smoke but we are learning...and learning to cook with it..

Glad to help fellas :) if you need any specific ideas just ask :)

Mrcane, be sure and keep us updated with results with your baffle setup. I'm curious as to how much it affects temperature. This is something I may have to do before starting my next grow. For now, I have bypassed most air from the hps cool tube, keeps me warm.

I forgot to mention how much i enjoy papaya. It is lovely. Nice smell, taste and buzz. Mellow but can be really stoney. I had a couple of different phenos and a twin.

Yep..Thanks again Hushpuppy!!
Yarddog I hope to keep a log this time because, I can't remember anything..
Rose I'm excited, I love Papaya... WIll see how it goe's..

Yep..Thanks again Hushpuppy!!
Yarddog I hope to keep a log this time because, I can't remember anything..
Rose I'm excited, I love Papaya... WIll see how it goe's..

awesome for your second grid I started my for despite winter also but I'm growing in a closet so it a lot easier to keep the temp regulated. Been going for about two months with no with temps yet that I can tell. Keep an eye on them though and green mojo:)

Awesome response Hush! I will definitely be using that info, i got a grow going in similar conditions to you cane, winter, in basement with no insulation... But I do love winter...

Thanks for the info Hushpuppy. My electric heater was drying my plant leaves out while lowering the humidity down to 24%. Not good. I like the draw the heat from the ceiling as my ceiling is 12' high. I'm off to home depot.

Nice grow room you have there mrcane.

Was planing on using the heater, when lights are out. My ceiling is 8',and my thought was to put heater up high.. The room is insulated so it should not take much..

the problem is it will dry out your plant and your medium too much you are better off heating outside and pulling in the warmer air

yeah it would be difficult to regulate if its placed in the grow room. You would high heat on top being blown down onto the plants (which would also be blowing O2 saturated air down to the plants) would dry them out while very cold, unmodified air would be coming into the bottom of the space. Not good for the girls, will stunt growth of many plants.
If trying to modify the garage air is too much, get yourself a tent or build a plastic walled (or insulation walled) next to the grow room and put the heat into that space and use that space to mix your heat and cold intake air, so that it is modified.

That is what I have. I have a small work room that is 12'x5'. On one end is a 4'x5' space that is my flower room. The rest of the space is my work/storage/veg space. I have to go outside to change my mind :eek: But I use an air intake from another room of the building and have my heater in the workspace with fans circulating within the room to stir the air to modify the temps and humidity. Then it is drawn into my flower space at mid 60s and is heated by the lights so that it is mid 70s at the canopy. I have my filters on the intakes at my ceiling so that the heated and CO2 depleted air get drawn out through the lights to cool them. I think this is fairly efficient for the facilities that I have :)

I have a small heater in the shed that is programmed to come on if the temp is lower than 65. I haven't seen it harm my plants any. It isn't up on top of them though. Just a thought MrCane.

Latest posts

Back