clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zigggy

Reaction score
good morning guy's,,,,got an easy one for yea ??????? can you over clone a clone ,,,what mean is I don't have a mother plant(never had)when I flip a plant to 12/12 I take a few clones (1 or 2) off each plant,,,so what I have now is a bunch clones of clones of clones been doing this for a while,,,im starting to notice my girls are not as vigorous as they use to be ,,,nothing has changed ,,same lights ,,,same nute's,,,same water source(check the ph every few weeks)same soil,,,,should I pick a mother and use her,,,or can I just keep cloning from cloned plants ,,,as always thanks in advance for any help ,,,zig

forgive me I'm a little high,,,,would I need to grow a plant from seed and use her a mother ,,,as the current plants are clones of clones ,,,thanks

Well, you could do either. Many of us take clones from clones. I never really had room for a mother plant and I like to try different strains, so I never kept a mother plant. But as you have seen, clones of clones can lose vigor after x number of generations. At this point, you would probably want to "start fresh" by getting some fresh stock--either a clone from a plant that hadn't been cloned or a new plant grown from seed. Whether you keep a mother or just clone clones again will depend on your individual circumstances. It usually takes several years for a clone to lose vigor.

I may be wrong but my understanding of clones is that the clone you get is the same as the plant you took it from, including its age. If that's correct and you've been pulling clone from the clone from the clone then your current plant would be as old as it would be from the first plant you started many generations ago. I believe when a plant gets to a certain age the cells are just old and tired, causing the loss in vigor and yield.

Good question Zig..I have always wondered the same thing.....:confused2:.....

thanks guys,,,,,,,,off to single seed to spend some money

Just to inject some science. Cloning will eventually lead to a weakening of the genetics of the plants. This is due to (typically) normal mutations in genes over time. different stressors, viruses, environmental factors, and even age, can cause these small mutations in the genes that lead to a weakening of the plants. I would think it would take many generations for this to occur but given the different environments that these plants get put in, the stressors could cause disastrous genetic changes within a short time for some and possibly a very long time for other plants. I personally wouldn't clone a single plant more than 5-10x before starting new again.

I've been cloning my WW since 07, I start new moms from the clones maybe once a year, really haven't noticed any change yet.

Fellow growers,

Hemp Goddess and Rosebud recommended Satori {Thank you...}
4-5 years ago when I was new here. So with say, four crops a year, for 4-5 years,
it would mean that my Satori clones are 16-20 generations old.
The last crop was one of the best and I haven't noticed a weakening of the high either.
I don't want to go to Mandela again so ...
I guess I'll keep my Satori strain till I just get tired of her.
Interesting question.

With seeds available here now I don't see a problem as there are a million choices!
I was cruising seed banks this morning like I do every morning...
and they all look so good... I change my mind every day.

Postscript: Sorry I got my math wrong.
I didn't count 6 strains I trashed because they were weak,
plus I forgot to add my 'Oregon Grown og' strain that I grew as much as the Satori.
Since I only grew two Satori crops each year, my Satori clones can't be more than 8 -10 generations old.

My Satori are fine and will last a long time.

Thank you...

The 'Greatly Relieved' Poet...

Latest posts

Back