how many days should I flush???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedginfool

Reaction score
Ive got 6 plants in a phototron which is only 21 inches dia but 38 inches tall, plenty of lighting, Im 46 days since germination and have been pruning them regularly and they have really been doing great, looking like little bushes. the tallest of them is almost 14 inches the smallest is 10. the system has an automatic water system which just senses when it is dry and adds more nutrient. the plants are growing in pure spaghnum moss with a base formula mixed in and then nutrient fed every feeding 15 days into full strength feedings i started noticing pale green color and yellowing and wilting then burning tips i assumed this was overfertilization and gave it distilled for a day or 2 and it looked better so i went back to the recommended dose. STUPID it immediately turned yellow again. anyhow ive been flushing now for 6 days and 3 are looking like they are unharmed a little droopy and lightgreen 2 of them are still a little yellowed but im sure they wont be slowed down too much. 1 looks real bad still very yellow curled with a dark line in the stem turning to a stain.
should I continue flushing?
any input would be appreciated

can you post any pics?

sounds like you over ferted, for sure, and gave the soil a nute lock-out.

flush the girls thoroughly till run-off comes out clear - for the most part - with treated water (tap water has sat out and climatized, then been ph treated).

give straight water for a week and things should pick up...

then, you can go back to 1/2 strength of whatever you were using and go from there. it's not very common you can go by suggested schedules... you just gotta know from experience. some plants take more nutes than others and are heavy feeders, while others are pretty finniky.

thanks vancouver guy but sorry no pics. Ive been using distilled water the whole grow most of it is the sodium free kind which i dont know if it is the right thing to do or not but the ph has been right at at least what i think is 6.5 according to a cheap aquarium color comparer which should be perfect i think anyhow. I dont see how the ph could be the problem using distilled the whole time. but like i said it has been 6 days of distilled water only most plants are looking like maybe you could start back up with 1 half strength or one quarter strength? I guess what i am asking is do i have to worry about undernourishing the healthier looking ones by continuing with straight distilled water? to save the one that looks like it might die anyway?

you have to treat all the plants on an individual basis... just cuz 1 plant is having problems, doesn't mean they all have the same prob... understand?

ya... for sure start giving the healthier ones food again. just go easy at first.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
you have to treat all the plants on an individual basis... just cuz 1 plant is having problems, doesn't mean they all have the same prob... understand?

ya... for sure start giving the healthier ones food again. just go easy at first.

but what do you do when they are all in the same pot? add the water to the individual stems i imagine huh?

oh no:eek: ... u should put them in separate pots next time.

in this case, just go ahead and give them all nutes. if some die off, so be it. let this be a learning experience. separate pots from now on.

so go ahead and give them all nutes. if the one survives, great.

give like a 600ppm strength for nutes and don't go above 1000ppm -might be your medium causing you some problems, too.

make sure you let the soil dry out COMPLETELY after the flush too. the roots need the air after the flush. wait till it looks like it's starting to wilt from lack of water before you give anything again... and watch for mold.

i dont know about letting it dry out completely that might take a whole day. these things do use like at least 6 cups of fluid a day. I know when they are out of water it has a sensor that turns the pump on when it is out of water and i can see the bottom of the pot through a dip stick tube i put in. this moss would still be wet 24 hours after the sensor said it was dry maybe even 36 hours.

make sure you dont water unless they are ready. if you water when there wet then you will compound the problem. better to let dry and perk up and go back to drroping because they NEED the water than to hurry and flush agian and overwater.

be patient...they might look bad now but its not to late to fix. wait till the soil drys fthen eed with str8 h20 and see how they look after a few days(if you know you overferted). if not better, THEN flush when dry agian and nute 1/4 to 1/2 your normal dose then go from there. if they come around but look only yellow then you know your good and only need more food not more flush. easier to fix an undernurishment problem then an overnurished problem.

remember less is more!

alot of rooks' get impatient because there plants dont look perfect and they overcorrect the problem and make them worse in the end.

goodluck

Latest posts

Back