Size of Yield question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_2_Chronic

Gone Baby Gone
Reaction score
im trying to figure out the size of my grow box but first need to determine how many plants will i need to be able to grow to get a steady supply.

Is there some general rule of thumb that you can use like if you have a 2 ft plant you should get in the neighborhood of X amount of smoke??

I am planning on growing 3 2ft plants....

a half a gram per watt of lightis the goal a lot of people start with. those 3-2ft plants could be 3 ft wide depending how you do it. yield is something that depends on more than # and size. first grow? id be happy with an ounce of primo between all 3...good luck!

yes new grower.....however,,, an ounce for all 3 makes me wanna puke...LOL.....I hope i would get more out than that per plant with all the trouble it takes to get the herbs to grow.........

so my best bet is to train these guys to grow horizontally rather than verticly?

It is going to be hard to determine yield for a number of reasons. Your best bet is to just set it up so that you are continuously moving plants from the veg to flower cycle like an assembly line if you need something consistent. A separate growing chambers for each cycle. One for veg and one for flower. Once your first batch goes into flower start another batch in veg. If you time it right, by the time the first batch is done flowering you will have another batch done vegging and you can move it into flowering and start a fresh vegg.

Low Stress Training is also another option that can yield you a bit more.

It is not hard to grow the plant, the plant grows itself. The trouble comes from ensuring the conditions are balanced for the plant to properly grow. Once you get that down, it is easy as pie.

New_2_Chronic said:
yes new grower.....however,,, an ounce for all 3 makes me wanna puke...LOL.....I hope i would get more out than that per plant with all the trouble it takes to get the herbs to grow.........

so my best bet is to train these guys to grow horizontally rather than verticly?

No, your best bet is to learn everything you can learn. Treat your kids well--give then the right light, water, nutes, ventilation and you will be rewarded. Advanced techniques like lst can increase yield, however, I think you need to get a couple of grows under your belt before you start experimenting. Advanced growing techniques can sometimes stress your plants. I think we stress them enough while we are learning how to grow without deliberately adding to it.

It seems that often first time growers are so concerned with yield, but they do not take the time and effort to learn what they need to to help insure a good yield...

Everything you need to know is here. Start with the Resources section and then read all the stickies at the beginning of the forums.

I agree. Learn the ropes and basics before you start getting into something complicated. This way, once you learn the fundamentals and you start an LST grow, you will be able to tackle a whole slew of potential problems without having to wait for the forums to answer your questions.

Okay I get all the Read and Learn things,,, ive been scouring the forums for info and learning a great deal.. The reason I bring this up is i am reverse engineering my grow box. I want to build the grow box with enough room to get what I want.

I dont want to have to find out that i cant produce enough and have to rebuild the box later. See the logic in this?

thanks for your replies.

New_2_Chronic said:

maybe i should clarify...an ounce of primo(very best tops) and a couple more oz of bud not as primo. and like i said before, i prefer to set myself up for a pleasent surprise than for disappointment but thats me. i do understand setting your goals high and strive to achieve them...:)

hey N2C, one thing youve probably already learned in your readings, your plants will double or triple in first few weeks of flower. it hasnt been brought up in yr thread and its kinda important when planning size. i totally understand your logic...and im sure it will save you a lot of headaches later.

I'll break it down for you here. It doesn't really matter what the yield is. What matters is potency. If you learn the basics correctly you could have the potential to grow the kind of bud that puts you down after one bowl. You could have a QP of bud like that, OR, you can skip everything us "old timers" are trying to convey to you, build a grow box big enough to grow 100 plants and have to end up smoking triple the amount of bud from your big grow just to equal the feeling you get from your good stuff.

My grow box at home is 5.5 feet high, three feet wide, and four feet deep. I firmly feel the box is excessively large. Even though a few of my grows went south at the end due to reasons beyond my control, I still grew bud potent enough to have what I grew last me for an entire year. I smoke every day, sometimes two or three times a day, and I had enough for a full year.

If your secretly trying to get the information so that you can grow to sell, you might as well turn yourself in now. Greed will be your downfall. If you are growing for personal use, once you optimize your procedure you will have a sufficient and steady supply of grow.

New_2_Chronic said:
Okay I get all the Read and Learn things,,, ive been scouring the forums for info and learning a great deal.. The reason I bring this up is i am reverse engineering my grow box. I want to build the grow box with enough room to get what I want.

I dont want to have to find out that i cant produce enough and have to rebuild the box later. See the logic in this?

thanks for your replies.

I would figure about 1/4 to 1/3 grams per watt at first. You will (should) get better as you grow more crops. The watts per gram is the first thing to consider when you are planning the size of your room.

What you need to do is to come up with a plan, based on the info you have gathered in your reading--room size, type and size of lighting, type and size of ventilation, growing method and medium, strain, etc, etc. Then we can advise you from there. Everyone here is eager to help, but you need to make the basic decisions yourself and then run the plan by us to see if it is a sound one.

I'm a rank newbie but I feel your pain in trying to plan your operation. It gets expensive quick and if you don't have the tools to make a custom build easy then the cost savings don't mean squat. I ended up cobbling a system together over about 6 months and even though it meant waiting to grow anything I am so thrilled with my setup I just can't even explain it. I bought a 2*4 hydrohut and for the amounts I wanna grow (4-6 ounces twice a year) I have more than enough room and light. I even have tomatos, herbs, cucumbers and a couple varieties of lettuce in my tent along with the grass. All thriving if I may add that :D The hut cost me $229. At some point you may decide that your sanity and peace of mind are worth that much too.

Good luck with your grow bro!

See heres the thing...Go and read and learn for 1 month while saving money to drop on this. It will cost you a good bit by the time yuo harvest on so many little things... So wait at least 1 month. Come to these forums read, read, read and when your ready you should not haft to post questions like this.. And also during your first grow you will learn so much so on your second grow you can be a pro... Just stick in there bro..

Thank you all for your input, believe me I know the value of the "been there done that" people.

i am a technical engineer and know that expertise comes with experince. I plan to try out a grow with this one plant first. see what kind of results i get.

When I started this I have been a long time pot smoker and more specificly the good stuff....schwagg never did anything for me. I got tired of spendng all my hard earned money on the stuff and decided i should do what our forefathers did and "Grow It".

I had this preconcieved notion that its just a plant, get some dirt (I sprang for soil though...lol) water it, give it light, nutrients and food...after all....Its just a plant. then the buds grow, you cut em and smoke em...easy as pie right?...I could of never been so wrong,,,

I gave google a hollar...because as you all know....google knows... found MP, read about 5 posts and realized that there is alot more to this than meets the eye.

Now I dig deeper into MP and find that this plant, well its actually a flower...go figure....and this flower is much like us, they have male\female sexes, water demands, lighting demands, nutrient demands,. I find that this flower likes being on a schedule,much like our days and nights.

So you think I can conquer the world now? Not hardly..... There is a load of information here that would take me forever to sift through, so my plan is simple,,,,,,get the overview and suggestions, then do it, if i screw it up, do it again...Keep doing it until i get it right...learn by doing....hasnt failed me yet,,,,,,ill get it down with the help of MP and you fine people of course!

By-George I think he's got it!

That is exactly the mentality to have going into the project. You will fail at one point or another with at least one aspect of the grow, it is almost 100% guaranteed. What matters is what you learn from the experience. This is science after all. I am sure you will do fine. Germ like ten seeds, see how many root, and go from there. Out of 10 seeds you will most likely see 5-8 sprout. After they sprout chances are half will either hermi or be male so that leaves you with about 2-4 plants to learn with, which is a great start. You don't have to invest an excessive amount of money into growing them and if you make it all the way through the grow, you should hopefully have enough green to keep you satisfied until your next grow starts.

Latest posts

Back