Elvens first fogponics trial setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elven

420 Jedi
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is a small basic tutorial on my fogponics vegetative/flowering device. First of all a little about me, I have no idea what I am doing. I have not grown pot nor tended to anything that could not fend for itself on some level since I used to water my Dad's hidden pot plants when he was "away" read county lockup when I was five or so. I am posting this tutorial for one of two reasons.

1. IT FAILS :holysheep: and while I have sacrificed the required number of bulls you never know it that might not be enough by todays standards. If this doesn't work then do exactly what I didn't do and it should work fine.

2. IT WORKS :eek: Then I will know that sometimes blind luck will outdo over reading, over analyzing, and overkilling every once in a while :hubba:. If this insane experiment works then do as I did and you will :)

Materials needed (or not depending on the outcome)
2x Tough Box 27 gallon containers
1x Mist Maker DK3-24 ultrasonic atomizer and bouy
1x tube 100% Silicon
6x 3.5" netpots

Tools needed
A cutting tool for netpot holes and cable hole (I used Dremel tool with cutting disk and 80 grit sand paper cylinder)
something to spread silicon (((I used cardboard)is that even a tool? I guess in a basic kinda look that monkey uses a stick to get termites kinda way)can you tell I code sometimes :D )

I know you must be thinking MY GODS thats not much of a parts or tools list, you don't know the half of it. For those of you that are smarter than an average bear you could prob build it without any further instructions (see why I think it might fail). For the rest of us and lets all be honest we COULD be rocket scientists if we didn't smoke so much:D , here is a step by step with pics.

Lets Start.jpg
I really like these tough boxes, for this purpose. If you take both lids off, you can place the open ends together and (like we are doing) and they lock together securely.

hole for the atomizer cable.jpg
OK,if you have to do this in the quickest way possible like I did (clones were sitting on a table in rockwool). Then this is the best possible order that I could think of. Cut a small bit of the rim to make way for the cable of the atomizer.

Silicon Caulking for a seal.jpg
OK, take your "tool" and spread a layer of silicon around the rim of the bottom tough box (the one you just cut) and once you have a decent seal set aside and let dry.

Ok, now for the only part of this that could actually be considered "difficult" at least while stoned.

Lets cut some holes.jpg
Cutting the holes, not rocket science but took longer than I wanted it to. Those ridges don't make it easy, but the blocked area of the netpots keep it from being a problem. I just used a cutting disk with my dremel to get the rough shape, then used the sanding tubes to clean them up.
**STONER NOTE** make sure you dont cut the hole to big for your netpot :D I almost did.

Holes all cut.jpg
See Mom I can finish what I start.

Atomizer.jpg
OK, the hard part is over (Thank the Gods). Now just take your Atomizer

Atomizer bouey.jpg
Put it in your buoy

Atomizer and bouey.jpg
And it should look something like this.

Let there be fog.jpg
Place it in your now dry silicon layered bottom along with 10 gallons or so of water and nutes. Plug in and LET THERE BE FOG!

Top in place and net pots filled.jpg
Now, just place the other tub on top add your netpots, plants, and media and you are ready to go.

Again, I am not sure this is going to work. I will start a grow journal (look for link in signature). Even if you don't want to post please take the poll so I can start setting the Vegas odds. :D

Attachments

• bottom section complete.jpg
    bottom section complete.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 551
One more thing, for fogponics I am using Humboldt County Master A&B nute line to prevent salt buildup on the sonic disks. Just a small thing.

Cool beans man. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. One thing to think about possibly is water circulation. Will the nutrients "settle" so to say? I don't know for sure just something that popped into my head. Good luck I'll be watching this one.

Tater said:
Cool beans man. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. One thing to think about possibly is water circulation. Will the nutrients "settle" so to say? I don't know for sure just something that popped into my head. Good luck I'll be watching this one.

I have no idea I will look into that. Thanks for stopping by and I cant wait to post some updates.

add some air stones, and air pumps from wal mart

but do you believe this ultrasonic/atomizer does creates co2/oxygen itself?

I have some roma, beefsteak, 4 of tops of mother, 8 baby mothers, babies of cherry tomatoes in my DWC/aerobubbleponic it look like this but your is fancier... this what I have is all mothers, I will build other dwc/aerobubbleponic for mainly clones and go in bloom soon after cutting the mothers out... these plants I have in DWC/aerobubbleponic is doing so great... don't forget aqua temperature, like tater said it will be golden!

I think that if you can keep the nutes from fouling the disc, this is going to be a great system. I live in an arid climate and have had one of the decorative mist things in my home for about 4 years. It can use 2 qts of water a day when the RH is really low. Although the addition of an airstone may benefit your plants, the water is not stagnant--it kind of bubbles around the disc.

Keep us all up to date.

papabeach1 said:
add some air stones, and air pumps from wal mart

but do you believe this ultrasonic/atomizer does creates co2/oxygen itself?

I have some roma, beefsteak, 4 of tops of mother, 8 baby mothers, babies of cherry tomatoes in my DWC/aerobubbleponic it look like this but your is fancier... this what I have is all mothers, I will build other dwc/aerobubbleponic for mainly clones and go in bloom soon after cutting the mothers out... these plants I have in DWC/aerobubbleponic is doing so great... don't forget aqua temperature, like tater said it will be golden!

Thanks Papa :D I actually have 2" airstones and a good airpump. I was waiting to see what happens before I add them. Dont want to change to much to fast :D.

Well unfortunately one of my babies died :eek: from lack of water apparently when you use rockwool it requires a bit more direct water. :holysheep: so on monday morning I woke up to a dead plant (see grow journal) Sorry i didnt photo journal much. I was in a huge hurry. I made a T of 3/4 PVC pipe with blocks on the top part. then added a threaded end that screws into my water pump. Once the glue was dry I drilled three holes and screwed in aero sprayers. Here are a few pics. hope they help explain what I did.

aero sprayers.jpg
One view

different angle.jpg
another one

The one HUGE issue is now that there is more direct water the silicon seal isnt working anymore. I have had to add tons of silicon to prevent an all out flood. I think I have figured out how to fix it. I am going to add a plastic skirt to the inside to overlap the gap. I will update again when I can.

/me heads to his closet to grab some towels and put on his rubber boots.

/hands towels to Elven

Hope you don't need these.

OK so my idea for a skirt worked! :holysheep: Here is the addition for anyone who wants to follow my steps. I leave it in picture form just in case the second Dark Age has left the internet working and reading is not yet relearned :D.

All scratched up and nowhere to go.jpg
Roughed up the area around the bottom rim of the top tote (the one that holds the plants)

Add tons of silicon.jpg
Add tons of pure silicon on the scratches and add the rubber skirt (I cut about 5 or so inches) and put more silicon to fill in the gaps and make give a nice taper effect that wont hold much water.

Now I have a skirt.jpg
Let dry and be dry!

Skirt in action.jpg
Skirt in action;)

Well until I update my system again (prob next weekend) See Ya. :D

EDIT: I also added my 2" airstone to the nute and it really helped the RH in the grow area. I am getting close to 40%.

Tater said:
/me heads to his closet to grab some towels and put on his rubber boots.

/hands towels to Elven

Hope you don't need these.

Never got that bad Tater but thanks man. :D I am glad that it my fix worked.

Me to. I'm still waiting and watching lets see you grow something in there.

Tater said:
Me to. I'm still waiting and watching lets see you grow something in there.

I was trying (see signature) but I think I have killed them all. My fault over nute, but I will be picking up a few more clones this weekend if I did indeed kill them.

Hey Elven,so you are using a misting along with the fogging ??? not tottaly fog then??
And how many heads is your fogger,1,3,5, or more ?I have a single head fogger I want to play with also but it doesnt put out enough fog for the tote I want to use so i'm looking for at least a triple head,found a 5 head on uhg:(: ebay.
Good Luck and Happy Mojo ;) Thanks in advance
ozman

ozman said:
Hey Elven,so you are using a misting along with the fogging ??? not tottaly fog then??
And how many heads is your fogger,1,3,5, or more ?I have a single head fogger I want to play with also but it doesnt put out enough fog for the tote I want to use so i'm looking for at least a triple head,found a 5 head on uhg:(: ebay.
Good Luck and Happy Mojo ;) Thanks in advance
ozman

Thanks for stopping by Ozman, At this moment it is not 100% fog I found that the rockwool is not penetrated by the fog well. I do not plan on using rockwool once I get my own mother going but until then not much choice. At that point I am hoping that the fog will be sufficient but if not then the sprayers are there in case :D But I am using a three head ultrasonic fog generator. I might move to five next time cuz overkill is AWESOME.

andy52 said:
I Would Use The Rapid Rooters Instead Of The Rockwool.jmo

Actually I am not going to use any medium for my clones so that when I put them into the hydrotron or whatever its just the roots and the fog. that way there isnt any medium that will change my PH :D one less thing to worry about.

i personally have better success when i use the root riot cubes rather than without.don't know why,but if it works for you,keep at it.i am kinda experimenting with this idea anyway.i will know for sure in several more weeks.the dude at the hydro store tole me to be careful on the nute level and not get it too high as the cubes sometimes will get moldy.good luck my friend.

I have done some research on fogging,most all reports state that around 500 ppm works best,I don't plan on using any medium,I plan on letting my roots just hang and absorb the fog as they see fit.this is pretty new territory.My theory is to grow bigger and better thats the plan anyways,also I like the idea of using less electricity compared to e&f or anything that would use a pump.
I will be keeping a eye on your progress this is how theory becomes fact or fallacy.
Best of Luck
ozman

ozman said:
I have done some research on fogging,most all reports state that around 500 ppm works best,I don't plan on using any medium,I plan on letting my roots just hang and absorb the fog as they see fit.this is pretty new territory.My theory is to grow bigger and better thats the plan anyways,also I like the idea of using less electricity compared to e&f or anything that would use a pump.
I will be keeping a eye on your progress this is how theory becomes fact or fallacy.
Best of Luck
ozman

I have been talking to the guy who builds the cloners at http://www.fogponics.com/ I am going to use the neoprene collars for my cloner, then move them to the expanded clay pellets, we will see. I will be putting a how 2 on my cloner when I actually use it :D.

Latest posts

Back