pictures as promised - Cannabis Cup 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Organix4Sho

Reaction score
So from Tuesday the 25-Friday the 28 of November I was in Amsterdam, Holland for the 21st Cannabis Cup.
My trip started out pretty terrible from my point of view. I forgot my passport and macro lens (the lens that allows my to photograph trichomes, crystals, and bugs with great detail) Just about my two most important pieces.
After much arguing, flirting, and yelling with Lufthansa employees I was able to make it through.
The cup started on Sunday so I had missed opening ceremonies but EVERYONE I met was there in amsterdam for that event.
What is the cannabis cup?
I wasn't a judge so if I have details wrong feel free to correct me....
Every November, 25±5 coffee shops enter one cannabis strain and one hash variety. Anyone can be a judge, just pay 250 euros and you get to give your opinion. A few coffeeshops give out their strains for free but often you have to buy it or just get a discount on it.
In the center of amsterdam there is a "convention" where products are pushed, growhouses have stands, etc. You can buy a guest pass for 150 euros, or bribe one of the bus drivers to let you in for 100.
Every night there are events relating to smoking herbs. Dilated peoples, Steel pulse, and Kymani Marley were featured guests this year.
Pretty much Amsterdam fills up with foreign stoners and you get to meet tons of cool people (and not cool people, I cant count how many times I was offered coke this past week [sorry mods, I feel obligated to give a fair warning to all those hopeful future attendees... :confused: )
Anyway, I had a great time, and will post a few pictures on here for all of you guys.
I picked up 5 x feminized Strawberry Haze and 5 x Alaskan Ice
Read about my DNA below:
hxxp://www.greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/

I chose Greenhouse seeds because they have doen scientific research on Cannabis DNA which is exactly what we need to promote a world wide medical marijuana movement.
Oh, and their coffeeshop has a plexiglass floor with an aquarium underneath so you feel like your walking on water.... They are very professional, and unfortunately don't ship to the US. Not sure about Canada.
OH and they have won 31 cannabis cups in the past 21 years.
I am in awe of how professional these guys are.

Unfortunately, taking pictures in coffeeshops was VERY frowned upon, and having a joint in my mouth 90% of the time kept me from taking ANY decent pictures, but heres what I got. Enjoy

2008 Results: hxxp://www.cannabiscupwinners.com/hightimes-cup-winners.html
Oh, and I can NOT tell you how delightful lemon haze was :holysheep:

Questions? Feel free to ask....

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

OH and those Ganja Plants are from the Sensi Seeds farm for those of you wondering where your Dutch Passion and SensiSeed orders come from.
If you want seeds and want a good oppinion about it, go to amsterdam and visit the seed banks and make a vacation about it.
My grow journal will be up in a few months for my Amsterdam merchandise.

Wow, Organix, thanks for sharing your experience with us! And thanks for posting the winners, too. I can't believe they let you in the country without a passport. You must be one good flirt.;)

I love all of your pictures, but I especially love the one of the narrow alley full of bikes.

I'm jealous you got to smoke lemon haze. :joint:

Oh yeah Organix4Sho,
You had me a chillun into the story dude. I was all there with my popcorn, and drink. Great start, adventurous half way through, but you ended too soon, you gotta stretch this bro.

I'm digging it !!!!

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna :cool:

@ktownlegend
The plants are SuperSkunk from Sensi Seeds. 8 weeks veg and they were on their 7th week of flower.
@ KingKahuuna:
Thats funny you said that I ended abruptly, I started smoking the rest of my Super Lemon Haze about halfway through and immediately had to get up and run around. Sitting in front of the computer doesn't mix well with these Sativas haha.
Anyways I think I described the main idea of the cup pretty well, the competition between all of the local coffeeshops, and the atmosphere is just stoner heaven.
Whats the one bad thing about amsterdam?
Bikes. I can not count how many times I was almost run over head on by a biker. The streets in amsterdam are as big as sidewalks in America, walking down the street its almost like cars have no bounds, and if they need to run you over they will. After a day of walking around almost getting hit by bikes, cars, subways, etc I decided to just use public transportation instead. I can only imagine how annoying all of the weed tourists are to the dutch. I know driving behind out of state plates (cough texas cough) going 40 in a 65 because its raining on the way up to fresh snow at Vail really pisses me off!
Anyways... more about the cup... my impressions:
It seems to me there are only 3 Serious contenders of the cups entries. Its like how Ferrari, BMW, and Mercedes almost always are top 3 in Formula 1, or Manchester, Madrid, and Barcelona in football. Sorry I don't know any american sports analogies.
These coffeeshops are Barneys Farm, DNA Genetics, and Greenhouse Seed Company.
In my previous post I talked about how the floor of Greenhouse ws an aquarium, well the entire place is very modern, well furnished, good lightng and ambiance. Multipercolated 7mm glass bongs float from table to table along with a stationary Volcano station for those wishing to truly taste the herbs. The weed prices are some of the cheapest out of all of the coffeeshops, 12 euros a gram for their highest quality, and yes, if you want 0.1 of a gram they will sell it to you. I was able to get 0.25g of about 20 different strains so that I could sample each one before I shelled out the dough for my seeds. The drinks and food are also some of the cheapest and most delicious in Amsterdam.
When I bought my seeds (strawberry haze, and Alaskan Ice [Stable F1 of Pure Haze x White widow] I received cannabinoid activity from each strain: Time vs Voltage graphs of Terpins in Resin and Cannabinoid profile, along with high resolution pictures of the strains' Trichomes at 20x magnification. They make these graphs using Gas Chromatography which will detest all organic (carbon containing) molecules. At the shop they showed me the Amplified fragment length polymorphism which is a basically a DNA fingerprinting technique for each of the strains they started off with (the F0s, Mothers and Fathers of the selection of F1s they sell and breed)
This kind of scientific mapping allows every new strain to be traced and compare with the genetic makeup of the composition from it's parents. The Gas Chromatography allows for a very accurate reading of THC, CBD, and CBG which gives you a MUCH better idea of what kind of plants you are looking at.
This coffeeshop is paving the road for the future of marijuana for patients and non patients alike.
Something I could not get answered, is how they garuntee 100% femenised hermaphrodite free seeds. I will continue my research and try and inform you guys when I know.
Greenhouse seed company rally took the cake for me. They other guys have a good practice too, but I just don't see the passion and use of modernism that GHSC uses. They received funding from the dutch government for research of medical marijuana trying to target Marijuana genetics to particular diseases and symptoms. For example, they have entire strains dedicated to reducing blood pressure
Can you imagine what kind of progress the health care could have if we ust had a little bit of weed to smoke instead of taking advil for every ache and pain. 50 years ago people were dying of diseases and infections that modern antibiotics (from NATURE, not synthesized in Dr. Jekyll's chemistry lab) have cured. Im not saying weed can CURE diseases(maybe it can who knows), but maybe it could help us from not eating so many synthetic chemicals. We just need some doctors to step out and FIGHT for the medicinal value of marijuana and get it off Schedule 1 list.
Sorry about that healthcare rant....
Anyways, If you plan on going on vacation and want seeds, why not combine the two and go to amsterdam. Would I rather be in Hawaii? .... actually yea I'd rather go to Hawaii, but I would say every stoner should experience this event.
To clarify, no I wasn't paid by greenhouse to write this, I am merely VERY impressed with their SteveJobs-esque innovation and application to cannabis.
If you DONT live in the US I am pretty sure you can order from these guys, they have reviews of the seeds by people who have bought them, and grow journals of select strains for you to read about before you purchase... ALL ONLINE
Anyways, if I think of more Ill post it. Gotta finish my Train Wreck.
Peace

if you like Green house so much you should ckeck out MR.Nice seeds;) the owner Shantibaba created GH then he partnered up with Arjan and then they had a falling out. so he sold out GH to Arjan and took his genetics leaving GH with a thriving buiseness with no genetics. most of the strains GH has now were bought back threw MR. Nice and re-worked into most of there current strains.
also for anyone who's interested you can buy both Green House and Mr. Nice
at Gypsy Nirvana Seed Boutiqe :hubba:

Oh very nice. thank you so much dude.
Arjan was one of the nicest people I have met and I got to talk with him and hear his small business strategies to a successful marijuana introduction in modern day society.

you can get Gh seeds in US at seed-bay.co.uk or its growhigh.com. Got white rhino and lemon skunk. The rhino took 2 weeks longer but I'd say was a better smoke. Yeild went to Lskunk. Thanks for those pics bro, in the cab. what strains on the right?

Organix4Sho said:
Oh very nice. thank you so much dude.
Arjan was one of the nicest people I have met and I got to talk with him and hear his small business strategies to a successful marijuana introduction in modern day society.

Really glad you had a great time Organix but oh boy Arjan has done a job on you hasnt he?

He has given nothing to the canna industry,not one strain of his own and has an ego the size of an average sized death star.

Try his Arjans Haze (read:Hay) and you'll have the measure of Greenhouse genetics.

Again,really glad you had a great time as Amsterdam needs to be seen but don't go on about what a great guy he is as he's a total tosser and I know as I've had first hand dealing with him.He's all mouth and advertising and thats it!

I mean,the guy actually had a doll made of himself!

A cannabis Napoleon!

Rockstsr that's wwaaaayyy funny! I've been over there twice. I like the atmosphere and menu and of coarse service at sensi. At greenhouse they actually will go through a big spheel about how they are the only ones t have this that Aryn can't spell it travelled through the Hindu Kush mountains to get this come on. All the big coffee shops have scientists that r cross breeding ECT. Not that u would need a scientist but at greenhouse they just come up with some funny *** stories ESP. if Franco is there then you have the two biggest egos in holland. LOL An ownwer of a coffee shop in japan bought that friggen bobblehead for $5,000 US !!! Is that insane. No other coffee shop says there theonly ones to have this or that! I guess every shop has White Widow now they all tasted burned the same but of corse GreenhouseSeeds is the only one with the original right??!!!! Don't get me wrong I've gotten seeds from them several times but I was on vacation not at THERES FRANCO THERES ARAYN who a what matters is that they all keep up the good work in the grow rooms and not selling dolls that u can't even smoke!

Oh Organix,great pics and glad to c that u had a good time. You realy can't go to the Dam and not have a good time I think it is impossible. Glad u got to try all the free vapos and bongs. Did u get to try the vortex bong? Volcano? Isn't the floor at by a trip. I went there on shrooms and WOW!!!

SoFlnightlight said:
Rockstsr that's wwaaaayyy funny! I've been over there twice. I like the atmosphere and menu and of coarse service at sensi. At greenhouse they actually will go through a big spheel about how they are the only ones t have this that Aryn can't spell it travelled through the Hindu Kush mountains to get this come on. All the big coffee shops have scientists that r cross breeding ECT. Not that u would need a scientist but at greenhouse they just come up with some funny *** stories ESP. if Franco is there then you have the two biggest egos in holland. LOL An ownwer of a coffee shop in japan bought that friggen bobblehead for $5,000 US !!! Is that insane. No other coffee shop says there theonly ones to have this or that! I guess every shop has White Widow now they all tasted burned the same but of corse GreenhouseSeeds is the only one with the original right??!!!! Don't get me wrong I've gotten seeds from them several times but I was on vacation not at THERES FRANCO THERES ARAYN who a what matters is that they all keep up the good work in the grow rooms and not selling dolls that u can't even smoke!

Hi SoFlNightlight,

I had my first dealings with Arjan at the Wembley Hempfair 3 years ago when I approached him to ask what he knew of Hemp Streak Virus,a really nasty growroom problem.

Well,I showed him a sample of White Widow that I thought was infected,which I had sealed in plastic as virus particles are transmissable just through physical contact.

He wasn't familiar with it,ok,no worries,he sells seeds and is not a virologist but he then asked me was it greenhouse white widow and I said it wasnt and upon hearing that he changed completely and started banging on about inferior genetics,kept repeating it like a f*cking mantra and he really did my head in,trying to tell me I wouldnt have it in my grow if I'd used greenhouse as my seed source which I know is ** as I'd been researching this plant malady but was just hoping for a positive id from him.

huh,fat chance,guy doesnt know diddly and it shows!

And oh yeah,saw the 'bubblehead' video and oh what an apt term!:p

Sorry if I'm ranting folks but arrrrrgh Arjan grrr!:hitchair:

SoFlnightlight said:
Greenhouse doesnt have the Original WW Mr. Nice seeds has the Original but it goes by Black Widow now. every strain GH started with they got from MR. Nice and reworked them

hey what's up Pothead420? Glad you threw in your 2cents,cause I've been trying to find the black widow!I read in another growers forum obout that plant and would suit my needs with DWC. About a year ago I got Lemon Skunk from GH seeds and now they hve Lemon Haze. The pic that they show is the same pic from the skunk. I watched a video of Arajn and Franco growing about a thousand plants for the 2008 cup. Maybe Organix can answer this question. Did GH have an abundant source of Lemon skunk at the cup? I personly think they just changed the name because you know all those haze lovers! I'm gonna go and check the genetics on the LH and see if its the same as what I got. Don't get me wrong I got 10 beans and over the past year got 6for6 germanation rate. They were female seeds as well. Grew like 4feet tall indica good taste and the female beans(10) were only 24 uroes. The price has prob.gone up now that it is considered a haze. But I have never grown a haze from seed in 9 weeks Total!! Thanks for letting me ramble on. thanks 420 4 the info about Mr Nice. Question for u all. How do you give another poster thanks?? Thanks peeps!!

IF U GOTEM SMOKEM!!!-

Latest posts

Back