5 gallon 6 bucket DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raidernation

Reaction score
Im growing 4 purple kush 1 bubba kush under a 600w aircooled hps. 6 five gallon buckets with a gh pump 2 outlets split.
Im waiting on 3 sour grape clones 2 are gonna be in dirt a little miscalculation.And I have 3 white sharks that didnt root yet.
The purple kush I got from the dispensary has spider mites!!
Im feeding gh nutes .5tsp-1tsp grow micro i had to cut it in half i got nutrient burn,one of the purps im testing the lucas formula 1tsp-2tsp micro bloom at half strength and the bubba kush im using 1tsp-2tsp grow micro it doesnt seem affected.I just lowered the water level yesterday an inch below the net pot and i got rootsAll ph'd to 6 and this would be day 6

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

lookin good! Exactly what I want to do, just need to wait to get my own place here in a couple months. Good luck with the babies! kush is a great strain that has very nice buds and the smoke especially is really really one of my favorites!

thanks cougs i know kush is pretty bomb huh the purple that i saw last time was actually all purple

How are you getting the solution up into the media, drip, pressurized spray or bubble bursting like Irish uses?

Also, are these rooted clones that you transferred to the hydro system or are you cloning directly into the hydro net pots with the clay balls for a medium?

Thank you for your help.

I will be using clay balls or coco chips in my first attempt at hydro using the water farm kit in a single bucket and need all the help I can get in regards to a watering cycle plan. Can you give me any advice there?

DJ This is just the simple version bubble bucket I used rooted clones.Pretty simple.I had a little problem overfertilizing but i cut that in half now everythings flowing good.With deep water culture the roots grow more into the solution instead of the media its only there to hold the plant either way the media will still be wet from the bubbles and roots taking up water.But you def want the roots growing out of the net pot thats when i noticed growth.I only have 1 that didnt show roots yet check it out its the shortest. the waterfarm kit is a continuous drip system with a rez for top offs no?

DSC00028.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

Raidernation,

I'm not sure I understood your meaning. I think you said you root the clones first and then transfer them into the medium in the bubble bucket to grow them. Is that right?

So for the bubble bucket to work you have to have high volume air flow creating the bubbles and the nute level high enough for the solution to splash up onto the bottom of the lid when the bubbles break. Is that correct?

How far below the top of the bucket do you let your nutes get before topping off?

Thank you.

DonJones said:
Raidernation,

I'm not sure I understood your meaning. I think you said you root the clones first and then transfer them into the medium in the bubble bucket to grow them. Is that right?

So for the bubble bucket to work you have to have high volume air flow creating the bubbles and the nute level high enough for the solution to splash up onto the bottom of the lid when the bubbles break. Is that correct?

How far below the top of the bucket do you let your nutes get before topping off?

Thank you.

That is basically how I do it. I generally keep the nute solution at the bottom of the net cups until the roots grow through. As the roots grow, you lower the level of the nute solution. When plants have a good root system, I generally keep about 3 gals of nute solution in each 5 gal bucket.

What size air pump are you running? Unless it is a large pump, you may need more air. In veg, each of my buckets has its own dual outlet air pump with 2 8" air stones. Each pump puts out 2660 cc of air a min. The air pump for my flowering room is a large commercial air pump (110 L per minute output) with a 12 port manifold. Each bucket has 2 8" air stones. The health of your root system depends on providing enough air to the nute solution.

Raidernation said:
The purple kush I got from the dispensary has spider mites!!
I have found it saves a lot of headaches to assume ALL clones from clubs/unknown sources have mites/powder mildew. I quarantine mine for 9 days (I treat'em every 3 days,3 treatments) and dip them every 3 days in miticide/fungicide. Haven't had any problems since.

Very nice set up, should be a big producer:hubba: Green luck 2 ya!

Raidernation,

How big are your pot lids in inches and how big of a plant do you usually grow? I haven't bought any lid yet and am trying to decide what size pots I should get.

Thanks for the great post.

THG,
Your input on pot size would be appreciated too.

I don't have any air pumps, but I'm thinking of buying PETCO's largest ones with 4 outlets, 4 check valves, 4 air stones and 4 pieces of 78" long tubing, all for under $25USD ($22.49 + S&H on-line). (That brings up another question -- which works the best, air stones, bubble walls or just fastening the tubing down in the bucket and letting the air come out in bigger bubbles?) Then I would use two pumps using one to power the siphon pump in the water farm drip rings and the other one to aerate the solution. That way I would have at least one level of redundancy should something mess up with one of the pumps -- unless both pumps went out at the same time I'd have either the bubble system or the water farm drip system going. Also, that is the setup that my mentor uses so I'm going to follow his lead until I know a whole lot more than I know now.

Also, do you run the bubbles 24/7 or on a timer? Since the bubbles and water farm both are putting highly oxygenated water on the balls, do the balls need a chance to drain like in an ebb & flow system or can they run constantly like an aero system?

Thank you for your patience and help.

DJ Get the water level 1 inch below netpot its better if you set it up and get a feel for it
top offs-there not drinking much yet
airpump-go with the strongest one
airstone-use one
bubbler-24/7
res temp-my temps are pretty high but with the good airflow doesnt show any negative effects

Thanks BK these plants are growing almost 1 inch a day ima let it go for another 3.5 weeks looking for 3 oz a bucket

Raidernation,

How big are your pot lids in inches and how big of a plant do you usually grow? I haven't bought any lid yet and am trying to decide what size pots I should get.

Thanks for the great post.

Didnt you get the waterfarm system?it should come with everything that you need square pots right?try to check that out first i could give you advice but the only person thats gonna make the final decision is you

Day 9 Pk 1 inch a day

Pk Day 9 (2).jpg

Bk Day 9.jpg

Looks like 10" pots to me but hard to tell. I use 6" inch pots with no problems.

Raidernation,

I am using 5 gallon round buckets and will use pot-lids. I just got the water farm kit with the siphon tube assembly, the drip ring and the stationary out side tube that you secure to the lid and run the siphon tube assembly down through.

The ring is 8" in diameter so I'm thinking the pot probably needs to be a couple of inches bigger. Is that right?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Mine are 6"
the net pots that i use from bghydro just come in 6" 8" and 10" all fit on 5 gallon buckets
if that helps

Latest posts

Back