Cleaning Hydroton Clay Pebbles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess they're called pea pebbles...they're solid, smooth, don't hold water and are chemicaly inert..

Yeah they have them at the Depot, still a bunch of pebbles you gotta wash. Cmon Puff design something?? Remember I get royalties :)

AKA river rock... i would think if you just have plain river rocks you would have to water every 1/2 hr at the max.... in ebb.... be perfect for dwc..
i use a comination of river rocks and lava rock right now.. just moving into hydroton.. couldnt afford it when i first started..
LH

DLM please send over the growrocks you trash every grow i would be happy to reuse them. i think my growrocks were a very good investment because of the fact that they are reusable. i never had a PH problem with them and if i had to buy them at every grow add to it all growing expenses then i wouldnt even grow i would just buy my weed and save all the effort

Speaking specifically about Ebb and Flow, the porosity of the Lava Rock or Hydroton is why it's better to use it. Between fill cycles, it retains water and nutrients that help sustain the plants as well as allowing maximum aeration of the roots.

I am not lazy for one! I work just as hard as you on a grow. Dont call me stupid. Thats not cool. We are here for the same reason. To learn & to stand up for a cause we believe in. Not to put others down for something stupid & make them feel bad. Anyway, I grow in an aeroflo2 & I dont have to use alot of hydroton. Thats why I use new each time. I wasn't thinking that some growers use alot more in there grows. You are right, it is cheaper for you to clean them if you use alot. Sorry about that. Everythings cool. Later

Yeah ,what r u using these days, Violet? I'm from Cali. Built bridges for 20 years there.:cool: Built the AMD building in Silicon Valley.

DLM3 said:
I am not lazy for one! I work just as hard as you on a grow. Dont call me stupid. Thats not cool. We are here for the same reason. To learn & to stand up for a cause we believe in. Not to put others down for something stupid & make them feel bad. Anyway, I grow in an aeroflo2 & I dont have to use alot of hydroton. Thats why I use new each time. I wasn't thinking that some growers use alot more in there grows. You are right, it is cheaper for you to clean them if you use alot. Sorry about that. Everythings cool. Later

Just for the record DLM3.. i never called you stupid.. and i dont think anyone else did.. but more or less the whole idea of junking it.. as pieRsquared said you can get away from the build up by boiling it..
it shouldnt matter wheather your using a cup of it or 50L+ at a time.. its still waste.. its like saying meh no need ot wash my clothes just get new ones when there dirty lol :rofl: ....
i just wanted to clear up that it was the idea not you people were calling out as "stupid" and i was one of them..
LH

DLM, i am not pesonally trashing you...I know it was a general comment you made...
As I implied, it is up to everyone to determine their own course. Every time we purchased new hydroton, we also soaked it for days, to remove any residual product or whatever on the pebbles, adding to the process.
If you can afford it...by all means, go for it...

However, I do stand by the point, that it is work, no matter what you do and that is just a point in fact...

thanks Left...While I may think it is kind of wacky..like I said..to each their own...

Adversity is what puts the many ideas out there for all of us to choose from.

SicSativa, right now, Sunshine Soil #4. With the upcoming outdoor grow, we are going to use some of the principals in the sub cool recipe and since there is a local feed and seed shop, with an owner who creates some remarkable soil for the plants that are non cannabis, he sells...we are going to check that out...with the additives necessary.

I have also read a bit about mushroom compost and while that is cheap...and readily available here...for others to know...It is supposedly too high in PH for cannabis...

We have worm castings offered every where around here...so that is the only point of contention in SubCools article, that I beg to differ with.

Everyone has a different opinion...and we get all of them...Many growers in these mountains....One of our biggest concerns, will also be deer and it is not that we think they will eat them...but the damage they do, is running thru areas, whether it is vegetables or cannabis,
We have smart pots and will build cages...for each plant.

One thing some forget, for outdoor...at this time of year. Racoons are mating and once preggers...dig for grub worms for protein.....My tenant has a fish pond and I am wondering if they will get into that....

Hey Left...Off topic...I remember a story from past about a guy who never washed his shirts...he would donate them to goodwill and go back and get them for $2.00. cleaned and pressed...I have such a ridiculous memory.....

The thing about washing your clothes, soo funny. I did run across a site (americanchronicle.com) about cleaning hydroton. It says to use isoproply alcohol to clean it best. But that would probably cost alot as well. Like I said, everythings cool.

DLM3 said:
The thing about washing your clothes, soo funny. I did run across a site (americanchronicle.com) about cleaning hydroton. It says to use isoproply alcohol to clean it best. But that would probably cost alot as well. Like I said, everythings cool.

boiling or steaming it would be the best way man.. chem free.. and if you have any tattooos.. how do they clean there needles.. they BAKE em... lol
im a funny funny man.. :D
im glad all is cool.. you hear dumb things all the time like iso...
mmmmm thats just great for the wallet and your house..
LH

I agree with you about the chem free, but alcohol does dissipate completely. As much hydroton thats used, you would think someone would come up with a quick, easy way to clean it.

DLM, that is why I used Hydrogen Peroxide...Bleach makes me sick....gives me a massive headache.

The whole underlying thing is...basically to clean.. On my grow shed thread...I showed the EZ Cloner.

When we first got the EP plant on my grow thread...it came from a guy, whose EZ Cloner was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. It makes no sense to me...when some people, want to grow and then complain about all the issues...like that one guy in our town did. He had sick plants for a reason.....

I know that D, my b/f tried all different products and some from the hydro shop...and none did the deed that well. For the cloner I use my own power, a knife and the green scrunchy pads or a brush....

I think we tried the alcohol and the fumes were horrid...and it works well on anything you make oil with, however not the mineral salts...but ya know what..I am going to look at that again for the cloner...maybe highly dilluted...?

Well if you got the coin, here you go, In industrial kitchens we used huge steamers that have drain lines. They take big perforated pans. Fill with hydroton, and steam away. Set it and forget it. I ahve seen them used on CL for restaurants that close down, etc for cheaper. But using alot of hydroton, that would be awesome, IMO.

I wounder if you could use your dish washer? That really sounds stupid doesn't it.lol Put your hydroton in mesh bags & toss it in. Set it to the baked on setting & let it go. It has high heat & pressure wash. Might work.

hahahha...I am enjoying you more and more DLM....

I am the dishwasher here...so that really might work for some....my only concern is that it might jam the things, but with all the new ones..If it were put into a mesh type of bag like you said...as long as the mesh is strong and not like cheese cloth...I think that might work..
If someone tries that, I wonder if any residual effect might still be on the pebbles .....It makes sense to me...

I would suggest someone try this with a small amount first. The industrial machines...might work..but noisy....
I have 48 smart pots, 45 gallon that I bought on CL for a tiny price compared to new. They have been used once and I will either go to a laundry mat or soak in a kiddie tub to clean those...That was a steal of a bargain...

I think you might get a calcium build up on the outside of it, but that should come right off with a good rinse.

Latest posts

Back