anyone interested in talking about raw salts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first need to figure out how to attach an excel spread sheet...hmmm

tried to down load a screen shot program and got a virus instead.. but luckily Norton caught it

anyone recommend a screen shot down load that's virus free..thanks

major elements I use

all of which can be purchased at crop king or custom hydro nutrients or at your local farmers co op

calcium nitrate yara green house grade
magnesium nitrate
potassium nitrate
mono potassium phosphate

potassium sulfate
magnesium sulfate (aka Epsom salt)

potassium chloride

then you have the micros

you have 2 options

A) use a micro nutrient mix that is pre-blended / good for directly adding into res (not good for concentrated liquid premix)

B) measure each micro nutrient individually (only method for mixing liquid concentrates)

most hobby gardeners who mix there own use the direct addition method

most commercial garden farmers use at least 2 injectors with a 2 part concentrate, one injector per consentrate

like this;
http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB192225/Dosatron-Fertilizer-Injectors

if you got the $1000 the injectors are the boss

no more res changes no more ph adjustment no more root disease no more air stones no pump except your well pump if your on a well

example of 2 part injector system:
2 trash can each holding 30 gallons of concentrate
the mixing ratio is 1:128 which is 1 oz per gallon

meaning it takes 1 ounce of each of the 2 concentrates to make 1 gallon of nutrient solution

all together youll get 3840 gallons of solution for what might cost $25 maybe...
honestly the raw salts are so cheap and last so long ive never done the math to compare the cost of store bought junk

ok this is a picture of the spread sheet I use for some of my figuring
as you can see this chart I entered in the GH 3 part line along with liquid kool bloom, Mg-s (Epsom salt) and cal mag (botanicare) and I also have the Gh flora nova listed

I got this from custom hydro nutrients.. but im not sure he offers it any longer

the other program I use is hydro buddy

http://scienceinhydroponics.com/2013/02/the-first-free-hydroponic-nutrient-calculator-program-o.html

unless your a math genius you will need at least one of these two programs

a quick understanding on how the chart works

theres another page you cant see, its where you enter the % of each element you plan to use

after that's done you simply enter the number of ml for each product or substance in the column nearest the name of the product

in this case I entered 5 ml per gallon of each of the 3 parts Grow micro and bloom and also Epsom salt which would be measured in grams

so the result is to make 40 gallons of solution I would add 200ml of each of the 3 part and 20 grams of Mg-S to achieve my personal desired ratio

then on the left in the large section you can see the list of the elements

each one has a number.. that number is or should be exactly what your actually feeding your plants for each individual macro and micro nutrient

take a long look at the picture... find the numbers... 5mls,,,, 200 mls,,,, 40 gallons,,,,, 20 grams.... all on the righ smaller boxed section

so you can see mixing your 3 part for veg 1:1:1 at 5mls/gln

will yield

N92
P35
K120
Mg 32
Ca 66

for veg you might find the Ca and Mg to be a bit low and the N could go up also

which would be different if I was using calmag as you are multi

to make 50 gallons of my veg formula I would add

calcium nitrate 75 grams
magnesium nitrate 55 grams
potassium nitrate 43 grams
monopotassium phosphate 11 grams

wait 30 minutes stirring well on and off
then add

micro mix 3 grams
magnesium sulfate 25 grams
potassium sulfate 8 grams

this is added directly to the res of 50 gallons .. just measure the weight and dump the powder in the res

making sure to separate the sulfur salts from the Ca just long enough for it to dissolve

when I measure I go ahead and do it for several res changes

I just measure it and put each in its own individual baggy and label it

I would have 4 or 5 or whatever sets of pre-measured baskets containing each of the salts in individual baggys , so when its time for a res change the weighing is already done and ready... I just dup it in the res

I don't use CalMag in veg

Another GHE ratios that I've used in veg is 3g :2m :1b

What is your micro mix ?
Do you keep your micros pre mixed in salt form ?

3;2;1 will yield less Mg since youd be using less bloom

since you said you like the 1:1:1 ratio if G:M:B of GH that's what I recommend to you.. if you want my 2 cents

imho the N could still be slightly higher but that's a good ratio

If it was me... I would mix the Hoagland flower formula like this

although personally I like to get the iron up a bit more 1.8 to 2ppm keeps nice and dark green... anything over 2.0 ppm I start to see zinc lock out

altgarden.com has a liquid iron supplement they call "just iron"

I believe its chelated 5%

and I believe (for what ever reason) it actually lowers the ph when mixed.. I assume its got some kind of buffer maybe idk

buts its reasonable priced if you didn't want to buy the dry and all that

keep in mind this is based on my experience in my garden in rockwool

so there may be differences in nute requirements for deep water culture

I would guess there relatively small differences but still

either way I think you could do with some additional Mg and maybe a little Ca unless your source water is loaded

Latest posts

Back