how do you PH DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the best help around, my DWC's Ph runs "backwards" too Hushpuppy. (GH Flora)

I've tried 24/48 hour pre-mixing with and without bubbling, using Epsom VS GH grow, adding KoobBloom etc etc

No matter what, or who's advice I try, I always end up heading down towards 5.0 in 1-2 days.

Good Luck
:48:

You neeeeeeed to top your water off every day, especially if you have smaller res's. The smaller your res, the more it will fluctuate too. I try to not do less than 10gal in my DWC totes. I top my water up every night, and add back nutes once a week. It sounds just like you're not topping your water off. This is critical. :aok:

I can not wait to try that nute.. once I can afford it lol! It's a bit more pricey, but the comparison results I've seen, seem quite interesting. :D

ya, pretty much most of what I have read says the plants, once root are in the water, help to stabilize ph and sometimes goes backwards. so guess ill just get my system up and running and just kinda go from there. i'm about 3-4 weeks from being able to get clones.my room is just about read, just gotta vent it, hang my light and get the system put togeather. I've also read to add calmag last, after phing, because it tends to help stabilize ph.

a new adventure is soon afoot.

yes I will have a grow log, yes I will be asking advice, yes I will have pics.

lol DGF, of course I'm topping off the res EVERY day...
I have to add 1-2ml of pH UP every 20 hours so while I'm there, I add a lil water too.

a 5 gal tote minus roots = about 3.5 gal of actual liquid

5 gal tote.. to small IMHO :( I didn't enjoy my experience with 5 gal systems.

I do not post often but I read a lot. Do you have a water softener in your home. That can reek havoc on your phone. You stated that your aquariums fluctuate a lot. I have seen that if you have a water softener the added salt will change your phone. If you set your phone were you want it and it goes back up that is why. I also use the jungle juice three part with bud candy big bud and overdrive and have great results.

with my tanks I run a system were I never change the water. its organice in that there are tons of live plants and lots of bubbles. the plants use fish waste as food and living organisems in the gravel eat what poisons the plants put out turning it into something the fish love. that's likely why its so hard for me to break the buffer in those tanks but once its broke its broke.

Ok I under stand I have a 135g cichlid tank. It was a thought had a problem with a partner before.

5 gal tote.. to small IMHO :( I didn't enjoy my experience with 5 gal systems.

hello joe, an aside to doc, you mean 5 gal total liquid in the system or just the res itself? ie: what is total minimum liquid volume of 10gal? the whole system or just the res? <br/>
and what about adjusting pH daily, that isn't right, is it? no ramp there ???<br/>

hello joe, an aside to doc, you mean 5 gal total liquid in the system or just the res itself? ie: what is total minimum liquid volume? <br/>
and what about adjusting pH daily, that isn't right, is it? no ramp there ???<br/>

The best part about us "trying to sort Joe's float issue".... and this is the comical kicker... he just ripped it up last round and did a great job!! LOL

It's like trying to tune the clutch on a Ferrari...It still does quite well hah

attachment.php

hello joe, an aside to doc, you mean 5 gal total liquid in the system or just the res itself? ie: what is total minimum liquid volume of 10gal? the whole system or just the res? <br/>

There's about 3.5 gallons of nutrient bath in my 5 gallon tote.

Sure it ramps/floats, from 6.1 to 5.5 in about 22 hours... its just a VERY steep, backwards ramp :p

Hey Guys, I agree with DGF on topping up the water regular. I however disagree on the GH versus Jungle juice. I compared the 2 brands and found the prices are cheaper on the JJ by just a few bucks everywhere I buy it. I checked the feeding regimen for the GH Flora and found that GH recommendations are significantly higher ml than JJ during veg, and then about the same during flower.

Regardless, of what each of us might like or not, I have used this for several years and have been thoroughly pleased with my results. Everyone who tries my smoke says its among the best if not the best that they have had. So I won't be changing anytime soon.

I tried the Technaflora several years ago. I still use some of the Technaflora products as their products are good. However, I found that I got better results and easier to maintain and use, and easier to maintain the pH drift when I went to the Jungle Juice. I never have issues with deficiencies even when I allow my pH to swing farther than it should, and my plants harvest every time with very little foliage loss except at the very bottom. I don't ever suffer with yellowing off in the canopy. Some of that could be my experience with maintaining, or my water may be helping, but I think most of it is the jungle juice and my hydro system. :) But I am biased :ignore:

Hush, I am glad to know that about the JJ, which I have and will be using here in a week or so. I am almost out of the GH Flora series and was hoping that the JJ would be a good substitute.

There's about 3.5 gallons of nutrient bath in my 5 gallon tote.

Sure it ramps/floats, from 6.1 to 5.5 in about 22 hours... its just a VERY steep, backwards ramp :p

I found it!
Hello Joe. I finally got a ramp going and it's going backwards. 5.6 to 5.3 in about 48 hrs. Does this now mean I start my next change at high end 6.1 ?

IF that pattern keeps going, yes defiantly start around 6.0 - 6.1 and try not to let it go below 5.6 - 5.5

The problem comes when you assume its going to go down and it goes up (or vice versa)
If, for example, you start @ 6.0 and it goes up from there, you've locked out lots of nutrients available to the plant @ lower pH's and absorbed too much of the few @ that high pH and gone toxic. (not good!)

Bottom line is keep your nute bath's pH moving and between 6.1 and 5.6, which-ever way it wants to drift.

View attachment ebfcab60919a1ca8d4272cdd85a168af.jpg

View attachment NutrientAvailabilityChart_225x308.jpg

IF that pattern keeps going, yes defiantly start around 6.0 - 6.1 and try not to let it go below 5.6 - 5.5

The problem comes when you assume its going to go down and it goes up (or vice versa)
If, for example, you start @ 6.0 and it goes up from there, you've locked out lots of nutrients available to the plant @ lower pH's and absorbed too much of the few @ that high pH and gone toxic. (not good!)

Bottom line is keep your nute bath's pH moving and between 6.1 and 5.6, which-ever way it wants to drift.

Dam, if I guess wrong, I waste 10 gals of nuted water :-(
as i assume I must do a nute change when i go above or below range.
THANKS, Joe
and yup, 3:20, close enough, don't mind if I do :)

oh heck NO!

use pH+ or pH- to adjust

[ame]http://smile.amazon.com/Hydroponic-pH-Down-Control-Kit/dp/B00TYW6Q58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444508781&sr=8-2&keywords=ph+control[/ame]

EDIT:

I use the same nute bath for 2 weeks...

- mix-up the full strength bath
- adjust pH
- bubble 12-24
- check/adjust pH as needed
- USE
- check pH every 12-24
---add plain water and adjust pH as needed for 7 days (swing between 5.5 and 6.1)

(I usually make 1 gallon extra @ the start)
- replenish the nutes (watching so as to not burn with too much/too strong a mix)
- add water and adjust pH as needed for another 7 days.

- start over

A trustable pH and ppm meter are a necessity for a healthy hydro grow.

Latest posts

Back