Dry Sift Tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get sound but no video.

It was working fine earlier. I just checked it and I also got sound but no video. It says the server is down.

@lyfe. Did the video work for you?

It was working fine earlier. I just checked it and I also got sound but no video. It says the server is down.

@lyfe. Did the video work for you?

Yes the video worked just fine

I put the sift in the freezer overnight and tried carding again. It sifted real nice while it was cold but as soon as it started warming up, it got sticky and started to clump again.

I did get about 1/2 of it sifted before it warmed up but I am getting the opposite result than what I read about.

I read that you do the final sift on a 75u screen and you keep what is on TOP on the screen, not what falls through. Supposedly, the plant matter, the stalks to the trics and the other debris fall through the 74u screen and what's left on top is just the heads of the trics.

I don't have a 75u screen so I am using a 90u. Maybe, that's the problem but the 2 pics below show before and after the 90u screen and after the 90u is definitely cleaner.

View attachment before90u.jpg

View attachment after90u1.jpg

The carding has been unsuccessful so far but the shaker is a screaming success.

I put a few ounces in and shook it for a few minutes and got 4 grams.

I discovered you can't "card" if it's all sticky. I put it in the freezer for a while and it was much more manageable. I have some in the freezer right now I will test on. The 75u screen seemed a little too small. I am going to try a 90u and see how that works.

I took a 30 second vid of the shaker. Can't use Youtube without an account so I don't know if this is going to embed.

[url]https://vid.me/da7O[/URL]
Not to beat a dead horse, but try a run on that machine with some dry ice...it definitely wont be sticky.

Hey, no problem beating dead horses. LOL

I am going to try to get some but as far as I can tell, there is only one place in the entire city that sells it????? And, they are an hour away, almost.

I will try to find someone closer who sells it. If not, I'll make the trek.

How much should I buy? I don't want to over buy and have it melt away but I don't want to buy too little, either. I assume it's bought by the pound.

Then, how much do you put in with the pot? As much as will fit in the shaker?

Thanks for baby stepping me on this. I'll get the ice because I have shaken some of this pot 5 and 6 times and I still see plenty of trics on it under the scope.

Thanks again, everyone.

I am going to try to get some but as far as I can tell, there is only one place in the entire city that sells it????? And, they are an hour away, almost.

How much should I buy? I don't want to over buy and have it melt away but I don't want to buy too little, either. I assume it's bought by the pound.

Thanks for baby stepping me on this. I'll get the ice because I have shaken some of this pot 5 and 6 times and I still see plenty of trics on it under the scope.

Thanks again, everyone.

Watch out for overloading your shaker. Remember you have a mass that will be slamming around in the box, but it will also be compromising the integrity of the plastic as it gets colder, also remember to put a couple vent holes in your plastic box, as you will be building up pressure, and I'm sure as funny as I think you'd look wearing all the hash and plant material, we really want to avoid that scenario, unless you are trying out for Americas funniest home videos. Personally I would try several smaller chunks instead of one big hunk, this will allow for more surface area to be touched by the dry ice.

Thanks again, everyone.

Buy one lb for every 1/4 lb of trim. Dry ice does sublimate as soon as you open the package, so buy it in smaller quantity packs. Break it up into small pieces and toss with your trim. I like to let the ice sit with the trim for about 5 mins and get real cold. You dont have to shake for very long either. If youre putting 2 oz of shake then use a half lb of broken up dry ice.

I'll try to get out to the ice store this weekend and get it.

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't consider the effect that the dry ice will have on the plastic. I'll watch for that. Thanks for that one. And, I also wonder how the dry ice will affect the opening size of the mesh (silkscreen, not stainless), if at all.

Since you have all been so nice with all the tips, allow me to retort.....

I was cruising around the internet today and I found a silk screen supply manufacturer that was selling framed screens in various sizes. I ordered 3 (what look to be) very nice aluminum frame silk screens, the same size as the Bubbleman uses in his process (140/107/75), 20"x24" and all three screens were under $60 including shipping. I ordered them today, they have already shipped and UPS says they will be here Monday. I'll update you on the quality and their suitability to the task after they arrive.

The name of the company I bought from is called Atlas Screen (http://www.atlasscreensupply.net/) but I presume any silk screen supplier would have them at close to the same price. This place took Paypal which I like.

I had an incredible day of sifting, today. Mrs Hackerman is coming home so I'll turn the compressor off for her sake but I will resume tomorrow. LOL I have not weighed it yet but I'll bet it's close to an ounce. LOL I found some old bubble hash popcorn in the freezer that I ran through the wash once. I put that in the shaker and got at least 3 or 4 grams. I can't believe all those years I washed my bubble once and then threw it away. Last time I made bubble hash, I got more from the second and third wash than I did from the first. Live and learn. :)

Once I get these screens, I'll run the same process as the BBman and see if it works the same way.

Thanks again all. Wish I could share this with you. :)

Well, it was less than I thought. Just over a half ounce. Still, not bad for a bunch of old bubble hash pot I had stashed in the freezer. I tossed just about everything I had into the shaker today. LOL Probably sifted 10 or 12 ounces of misc garbage.

The final destination for this sift is butter or glycerin. The next big question is... should I decarb the sift like I do regular pot before I make the butter? I do remember Skunkpharm decarbing sift. They did it for a little less time than the plant (about 25 minutes at 240F for sift). With plant matter they go about an hour at the same temp.

I hate to waste this much sift so I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

I plan to put 16 grams into 32 tablespoons of butter (2 cups) and cook it in my Magical Butter machine. I would rather make glycerin than butter but glycerin is not the best at absorbing the cannabanoids (not nearly as good as butter) and I don't want to waste all this sift.

View attachment drysiftstash.jpg

You have to decarb it still. Thats the only way o know of the activate it for ingesting.

Yeah, that's the way I feel. The magic Butter Machine says it decarbs in the process but I don't trust it. I don't think it gets hot enough in the MBM for decarb.

I am going to run a small test today. I'll decarb a couple grams and make a firecraker or something to test the dosing and decarb time.

Going to try to get some dry ice today as well. :)

Cool. Thanks for the tip on the screen supply.

buddy of mine does a lot of sifting with all his crazy sticky and uber crystaly trim, shake and popcorn buds. he found that if you get a nice cure on your bud and trim, grind it up with something like a medi container, not a grinder with keif catch, and just grind everything up really good and dump it on your top screen, he only uses one screen, thats 90u, and he spreads out the pile of weed and work it a little then let it sit out ontop of the screen for a while, comes back an hour or 2 later and cards it over the screen, just being gentle and the occasional good flick or 4 to clear the screen, it helps out a ton with the whole gum-up effect, just gotta take it slower then you are, let it dry for a while and if/when it starts to get uber sticky again let it dry more then come back to it, he uses another screen to put ontop so while it is drying it wont collect dust as well, basically a breathable lid so to speak. it will take him a few days to sift a QP or so but it makes for easier work without the gum effect and needing the freezer. and what ever is left up top of the screen he collects and makes pucks for rosin. still lots of goodies up on that sifted shake.

I am following your every word. Where did you get the screens and what are you shaking it with? Thanks Hackerman.

I think what ever dry sifting method you use, I believe if you have access to dry ice that using it with the material will help you to get considerably more. The reason I say this is because there are 2 types of resin glands on the leaf. the ones that are stalked and the ones that grow right against the skin of the leaf. when you use the dry ice, it freezes them off the leaf by freeze drying the leaf. if you do just the dry sift and work the material, you only get the stalked trichomes. That is why there is enough resin left in the material for making rosin.

Not knocking that method. If that works the way you want then do what works for you. I just like getting all of the trichs on the first run. I get great yields from the dry ice method :)

I am following your every word. Where did you get the screens and what are you shaking it with? Thanks Hackerman.

Are you talking to me?

Sorry, I didn't see the post.

I get screens from 2 places. I buy the bulk silkscreen fabric on eBay.

For framed screens, I bought from Atlas Screen company. http://www.atlasscreensupply.com/

Beautiful 24 x 36 aluminum framed mesh for just over $30.

With my little plastic box above, I put it in a paint shaker and let it rip. However, I found that the rough abuse of the trichs broke a lot of them and I just couldn't get full melt bubble from the shaker. However, if you are real gentle and use the framed screens and a card, it results in much better quality. It just takes longer.

Beware when/if you buy screen from silkscreen houses. Their industry measures the mesh a different way than the filter people do.

Mesh is the number of openings in 1 running inch. Micron is the actual size of the particle that passes through the hole. A micron is one millionth of a meter (or one twenty-five thousandths of an inch).

Filters are rated in microns (although, micron is officially an obsolete term for measurement. It's, more appropriately called a micrometer, now). Silkscreen is rated in mesh size. They are very different (almost opposite) so make sure you Google a mesh to micron conversion chart like this one...

http://www.showmegold.org/news/Mesh.htm

to make sure you are getting the screen you want.

Fascinating :stoned: Am I mistaken when I say I have seen the word "micrometer" used as the name of an instrument for measuring microns. I have seen one that was electronic that you put it to whatever is being measured (the meter has a side of the head that is used for inside measure, and a side for outside measure), push the button and it automatically adjusts to fit and gives you the readout on a LCD screen.

Yep. that's the way I always saw it as well. I also own manual micrometers.

However, a quick Google of the word Micron will show a bunch of articles about how the International System of Units declared in 1967 that the term micron was officially revoked and that micrometre (French) or micrometer (English) would replace it.

Personally, I grew up using the word micron and I don't care what they say, I'll stick with it. LOL

Latest posts

Back