Fellow dirt grower's What pot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
So I grow in dirt and I am in the process of finding what POT works best for me. I am flowering in the classic hard black 5 Gal and in the 5 Gal cloth POT as well as I got one AIR pot ( has a lot of holes) . I wanna see what works best for me.

What do my fellow dirt tokers flower the girls in?

Black plastic
Cloth
Air pot
Other- What

Why do you use that one? Just trying to hear ideas get a discussion I have heard the sales pitch. Wanna hear the truth
Thanks Stank

I use smart pots and love them and will never go to anything else. I started with 5 gallon and now i find i handle the three gallon ones a little better. They last a long time...i haven't worn one out yet. A drip saucer is a must and a tiny learning curve, but i really like the root structure they give... almost all feeder roots.

What makes a smart pot cost $10 when a root pouch is $2.50 for same size with handles? The smart pots are that good worth that much more?

The saucers are proving difficult in my tight area as well as water consumption yikes.

Anything with holes in the bottom, I use 1 gallon ice cream pails. I also have 4, 1 gallon Geo pots, they are similar to smart pots, just a little thicker. I find I use more water with the fabric than the plastic pails due to more evaporation.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-5-Gallon-Soft-Sided-Container/dp/B002JUOWB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1421118061&sr=1-1&keywords=smart+pots&pebp=1421118186236&peasin=B002JUOWB2[/ame]

Really good prices Hamster, they don't ship to Canada though.

Hamster, that is the problem we have, always have to check to see if places ship to Canada, shipping costs are usually high and now with our dollar losing value it gets harder all the time to find a good deal in the USA, which sucks because it cuts the selection down a lot.

Thanks MR1 I can buy em local for $2.50. They are called Root pouch.
Glad you explained that to our USA tokers

Here`s my way of growing :
Sunshine Mix #4 is the "soil" I use.
Seeds are scarified in a toilet paper tube w/sandpaper inside.
Seeds directly into soil, about 1/4-3/8 inch deep, in 2 inch coco coir pots.
When ready, pot and all into 6 inch coco coir pots.
When ready again, pot and all into 5 gallon square plastic pots.
NO transplant shock using this method.
Works for me anyway.
Later. Peace.

Do have some fabric pots on order, should be here today or tomorrow. Next grow gonna use half plastic and half fabric pots.

I got a few cloth pots as a gift a while back and really like them. I have been reading that you can make your own cloth pots from landscape cloth. I am going to order some here soon. I am ordering some heavy duty fabric like this and give it a try. I am pretty good with a sewing machine, but some people apparently staple the cloth and it works. In my reading woven needle punched landscape cloth was recommended, so I looked for that. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNQ5R4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1HHYPCL51QYFW&coliid=I1V47DWUMZ0Z28&psc=1[/ame] Another of the advantages other than price with making your own is that you can size them exactly the size you want and are not forced into the sizes you can buy them in.

Since my space is small and I need virtually every inch of it. I went to Big Lots and found a container that pretty much fit my space and then cur it down to use a one big drip tray. I have also used trays made for pet bowls, wet boots, and simple serving trays as drip trays. You loose a lot of floor space using round things.

Greetings

This is one I like ,yrs back used to grow in strawberry baskets lined with
the black weed fabric. At the time I used a 400 w in 3x3 area and straight flower after 1wk
then what happens is air pruning so the plant breathe almost like a fish and stay short and
compact and keep a little short root system and overall stature. Good for clones or seeds. I've
seen on some hydro stores or dollar store baskets that are open walled then line up with the
weed fabric, superior air penetration, just keep a small reservoir for soil at bottom for capillary
action. Coupled with a good fert program be astounded at what could be done in a small space
with this methodology.

Atomic Dog

I read that the smart pots allow air pruning.which is the root will hit a hole and stop growing forcing new roots to start growing,which provides a healthier root system.instead of hitting the side's and circling the pot and causing root bound.seen a picture of one in plastic pot versus air pot.much healthier root system I'm sold

I read that the smart pots allow air pruning.which is the root will hit a hole and stop growing forcing new roots to start growing,which provides a healthier root system.instead of hitting the side's and circling the pot and causing root bound.seen a picture of one in plastic pot versus air pot.much healthier root system I'm sold

Correct. I have done a side by side with a plastic pot of the same size. Same strain, nutrients etc. Smart Pots had bigger fuller buds and yielded better.

I you don't have landscape cloth, the polyester cloth from the 70s &80 works well, I use it in gardening all the time.

Latest posts

Back