Why does the PH change so dramatic ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
Ok so I bubble my water for sometimes up to 4 days to get the chlorine out. I just bubble tile I need to use it. I will adjust the PH down to 6 then the next day check it and it be 8 so I drop it back down to 6 make sure 100% next day back at 8 . Just tap water in a 5 Gal bucket with an air stone?

I thought I was just stoned so I tryed it on the next batch of water and did the same thing. It's checked with digital meter and backed up with drops 8 is blue 6 is yellow so big difference.

I read duck talk about calcium in water before but don't get it

Yep, sounds like Calcium or additional elements in the water causing stability problems...been there, done that :)

If I understand you to say you are just bubbling your water, know that water alone (especially tap) with bubbles will increase in ph because of the oxygen. Try your experiment with your nutes and if the recommended dose will not hold within better ranges, you're going to need to use store bought water. I use distilled

You are using ph strips to test? not reliable at all, I never bubble my water, I fill a water jug, add nutes, let it sit for 30 mins, correct the ph and water the plants, you need to look into getting a digital ph meter.

Dman is right on - I learned that one the hard way- almost-Saved only because the digital arrived in time for me to see just how wrong my strips were. Not off a little - Completely Wrong!

Blind leading the blind. Where in my post does it say test strips guys?

Checked with drops backed up with digital PH pen
I'm using PH up from hydro store

Whats with the blue and yellow comment, drops or strips, they are all useless.

Blind leading blind? Really buddy, LOL your funny, you should drop the attitude, people are just trying to assist you, the attitude just turns them off, you clearly need the help so maybe a little more understanding would be a good idea.

Was a joke bro . I didn't think you of all people would have gotten upset. It came of wrong as the internet doesn't show .

The digital meter was backed up with drips 8 PH is Blue 6 PH is yellow.

I wanted to know why is it PH to 6 and goes back up to 8 in 24HR nothing but air stone.

Was a joke bro . I didn't think you of all people would have gotten upset. It came of wrong as the internet doesn't show .

Sarcasm doesn't play well in print, a smiley face helps people know you were kidding :D Dman is just trying to help.

I assume you have city water, since you mentioned chlorine...take a Calcium test of the water, see how high it is...you can get a cheap test kit at a Fish/aquarium store.

So is it just high calcium that does this? Will It ever level out?
I need to figure this out as I wanna start " playing" with DWC . I'm scared the DWC bucket is gonna need to be adjusted daily .

:) :( That's all I get on my iPad

A few things could do it, but Calcium is on the list...and cheap to find out if that's what's wrong. If you have a TDS meter, that reading would give us a feel for your water quality also.

One way or the other, you have to get the answer...not guess. So facts are better than wasting time on a bad grow, it's probably something in the water...and hydro would be out of the question unless you invest in a RO system.

So your saying cause of the crazy swings a hydro grow would be out of the question. I wouldn't be able to keep the PH from day to day. I would have to use RO or Distilled water and add nutes .

Will have to find this cheap calcium test kit. Or get it tested.

The digital meter was backed up with drips 8 PH is Blue 6 PH is yellow.

I wanted to know why is it PH to 6 and goes back up to 8 in 24HR nothing but air stone.

Who uses drops and a colour chart to back up a dig meter, I live in Toronto so i was following you to help you out but i have lost interest as you come across as a know it all that posts questions that show you are cluless, good luck, im out.

Who uses drops and a colour chart to back up a dig meter, I live in Toronto so i was following you to help you out but i have lost interest as you come across as a know it all that posts questions that show you are cluless, good luck, im out.

Sorry to see you go Dman, you're a very helpful member with tons of knowledge....have a good weekend.

So your saying cause of the crazy swings a hydro grow would be out of the question. I wouldn't be able to keep the PH from day to day. I would have to use RO or Distilled water and add nutes .

Will have to find this cheap calcium test kit. Or get it tested.

I'm saying if you're having water stability issues, I would get to the bottom of it before I'd ever start a hydro system. RO comes with it's problems too, you have to add all the the elements back into the water. And it wasted 3-4 gallons for each clean gallon produced.

Stank you owe Dman an apology, do the right thing and square up with the man :cool2: It's always best to make friends in a small community, MP is a bunch of cool friends willing to help people out...unless you screw one of their family :evil:

Stank you owe Dman an apology, do the right thing and square up with the man :cool2: It's always best to make friends in a small community, MP is a bunch of cool friends willing to help people out...unless you screw one of their family :evil:

LOL, thanks, but its not like that, I dont think he screwed me, I got rubbed the wrong way by your comment StankDank and I prob over reacted, I will forget it if you will, sometimes we miss read something and we are all capable of over reacting.

Either way, lets solve the Ph issue :)

I have to adjust my Ph every day (in flower) and I have a small enough grow I use distilled jugs of water.

obviously a different situation than stank's bubbled tap water but I'm always "all ears" when it comes to ph drift threads

PS
I bet its an age thing. (half the stuff he says rubs me wrong but I don't think he means it that way...)
stank, early/mid 20's?
almost everyone else, 35-50?
:48:

Either way, lets solve the Ph issue :)

I have to adjust my Ph every day (in flower) and I have a small enough grow I use distilled jugs of water.

obviously a different situation than stank's bubbled tap water but I'm always "all ears" when it comes to ph drift threads:48:

I've dealt with PH drift for years, constant battle when bubbling nutes for a 24 hr period. When I was running well water high in calcium, it drifted up 2 full points...I run rain water now and it drifts 1 full count down, if I keep bubbling it it drifts more. The drift certainly tells you what it's doing in the soil/media later...run off tests become critical if not organic growing.

non organic DWC 5gal tote

which is where stank is headed (DWC) I believe.

hard to imagine fighting the water along with the roots/nutes

Latest posts

Back