Getting ready to chop...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Y.D. It has been a long go, three months in flower. Still have one that is two weeks or more to Go...

Congratulations I feel your pain I went about 14 weeks in flower myself. Looking good man I know your a happy guy.

so what causes longer time needed in flower? is it light, nutes? mine says it flowers for 9 weeks what would make it go longer or shorter for that matter?

so what causes longer time needed in flower? is it light, nutes? mine says it flowers for 9 weeks what would make it go longer or shorter for that matter?

I have no idea,Strain I suppose but from what I get is that the sativas are longest...Just want to do something shorter..

The flowering time for any strain is totally dependent on the genetic traits of that strain AND the genetic traits of that plant's parents. All landrace strains (original to their own country or territory of origin) will have developed certain genetic traits as a result of natural evolution over thousands of years. Once these landrace strains are crossbred to each other, these genetic traits get all mixed up and create a multitude of varieties of plant strains. The dominant traits within the genetic make up of a particular strain will decide how long it takes to flower. It can be anywhere from 7wks to 16wks depending on the strain. The breeder should have this information.

Hushpuppy is right of course, thanks HP. nice to see you.

I just wanted to add that breeders aren't always honest about finishing time. If they claim it only takes 8 weeks to flower they will sell more seeds than if they say 10 weeks..NOT all breeders but some, I might be wrong about that, but from hanging around MP for a while I think it is true.

Cindy 99 or Pineapple express are known early finishers. They are more sativa leaning which is weird as sativas usually take longer then indicas to finish.

If there is one thing to learn about growing it is patience. It is hard to wait but it is worth waiting for.

looking good mr cane. i have to agree about nirvana too. i grew out their bubblegum as my 1st real grow. i had 9 plants and not one even came close to tasting like bbgum. i did dry and cure proper too. live and learn. look at dna genetics. i grew em out twice with several strains and was blown away. sleestack and la con are some of my favs, however kandy kush is not.

ive been sitting on a 10 pack of columbian black for 2 years now because i don't know if i can flower them for 6 months!

hey Doc, are you kidding, they take 6 months to flower??? That better be the one hit wonder when its done :eek:

i wish i was kidding hush. gage green makes a hybrid that takes 14-18 wks, but mine are 100% landrace. coming from near the equator it's pretty much 12/12 all year so yes 6 months flower is not unheard of. i've never grown out a landrace sativa, but if you've ever smoked any columbian red, gold or black then you know its worth it for the private stash. anise and pepper tones and a mind blowing trip makes me wanna start it now but space does not allow for it at the mo. a pinner will destroy multiple veteran smokers. i am lucky to have been gifted these. sorry to derail the thread mr cane

So the first plant been hanging 3 days is dry enough to burn, Not harsh seems to be on the uppie side of things ... Now What? Jar it up? Bag it?

3 days seems really really fast to me.

It takes 5-7 days of hanging for me to get things "dry" (stems break, not bend and little leafs crumble)
Then I put it in a Ball Jar with a hydrometer and shoot for 61% RH

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digital-Hygromter-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKQVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444495927&sr=8-2&keywords=digital+hygrometer[/ame]

The moisture in the stems takes a lot longer to draw out and rehydrates the buds and I often need to leave the jars open to let more moisture out.

:48:

View attachment PICT0015.jpg

Thanks Joe will keep em hanging stems are still bendable... That looks nice, it is that time of year to do your canning...

I would love to have some of that Colombian Landrace IF I had the space to do it. Its all hybrids for me with my space.

Drying is the more challenging part of this. You don't want to dry them too fast or too slow. You also don't want to leave them drying too long and you don't want to get them in the jars too soon. I feel my buds after a few days to see how they are drying. I try to get my buds dry enough to where they feel just some crispy outside but still some soft inside, then I jar them up, seal them for 12hrs, then open the jars and feel the buds.

If the buds have gone back soft and damp with some moisture in the jar, I didn't dry them long enough. I take them out and dry a couple hours on a screen then re-jar. If I open them up and the buds have gone back soft but not "wet" anywhere, they are just right. I leave them in the jars and open and air the jars every 12 hours for the next 7 days. Then I open and air jars once every 24hrs for another 7 days. Then If I have the opportunity, I open and air the jars once every 48hrs for 7 more days. Then I start smoking :)

Thanks HP Lots of good info.. have been hanging 4-5 days now got that crunchy feel to them. Have all sizes of jars..should it be fairly loose in jars??? .. Hope that they are not to dry..

I don't compress at all just lay the next buds on top, giggle the jar a bit, rearrange with chopstick(s), put more in.

I put my top/main cola/branch in a separate jar by itself.

I keep my main colas on their stalk and as tall as the jars will allow. So my "mains" jar(s) are usually 5-7 stems/branches.

Finally, all the popcorn or small colas I cut down to the individual buds.

You will be surprised how much moisture there is inside those buds.

:48:

Yeah I like to keep them loose in the jars so that there is room for the air to evaporate the moisture. I personally cut all of my buds away from the stems until I get within a few inches of the tops where the stems get small.

Latest posts

Back