Watering schedule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey MP,

I've been using 5 gal fabric pots, and with out amended soil I water roughly every week. Never had a problem with over or under watering my plants, I wait until either a) the plants are beginning to wilt, or b) the pots become extremely light, or c) when the top 2-3" of soil become dry.

Since I began using amended soil I may be running into possible over / under watering problems. The strain I am growing is Satori, and she is known to go extra heavy on the h20.

The plants have been in these pots for approx. 3 weeks, transplanted up from small 1/2 gal pots. So I went from 1/2 gal pots, to 5 gal pots..

These satori's begin to wilt 3 days after I water, so I have been watering every 4th day, roughly. Example, water on the 1st, then again on the 5th. They make it through the 2nd,3rd,and forth day, but need water by the 5th. They take 5 liters of water, with slight run off that I wipe up with paper towel, so less than a cup.

Am I waiting toooo long to water? Do you need to water any differently when growing with organic amended soil?

I'm having a hunch that im letting the soil dry out too much, and would be better off watering every third day, even if they only hold 3 liters of water. Any suggestions?

I do not like to let them get to the point of wilting. I would be for watering every third day.

Hi Next, I wouldn't go by days, i would go by the plant. Stick your finger in there. If it is dry water, if not don't. If a plant is wilting and you feel the soil and it is wet, you have overwatered.
over and under watering look the same on the plant. Do you have saucers under her?

Thanks for the replies, ladies!

THG - I have been nervous about overwatering so I waited until they started to droop, figured it was a fail safe way of not over watering.

Rose - I have saucers under them, I use my finger to test the soil mainly because I can't lift the pots due to the plants being tied down.

I can still feel a little moisture down at the 2-3" mark, but the plants have also started to wilt at that point. For some reason it seems the plants wilt quicker, and I can't let them dry out as much when compared to unamended soil.

I have 2 options I think.. water more frequently like THG suggested at every 3 days.

Or, what about giving them a liter of water on day 2, then a full watering on day 4? To try to prevent the top from drying out before the bottom of the pot.

Latest posts

Back