Enough defoliation??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonChick

Reaction score
I am in my third week of 12/12 for these four indoor plants. Two I planted from germinated Giga Bud seeds on February 23. The two smaller ones were planted on April 23. One is a Critical Cheese and the other is Blue OG. All feminized seeds.

My question has to do with whether I have defoliated enough. I have good amount of buds on the the two Giga Bud. Smaller less numerous buds on the two small plants.

I have an exterior plants of Ultimate Purple. It too has many buds but all small.

I am using the Hydrotek line of products to feed my plants.

View attachment IMG_4955.jpg

View attachment IMG_4956.jpg

View attachment IMG_4957.jpg

View attachment IMG_4960.jpg

View attachment IMG_4962.jpg

View attachment IMG_4974.jpg

View attachment IMG_4975.jpg

Why would you take away their food source at three weeks flip? I can't answer your question as I don't defoliate.

just because some don't. don't let that discourage you. I like what you have done and see where your girls will enjoy your work. However I do wait until week 5 of bloom before I defoliate ...Don't worry on size of buds at this time. they will get bigger every day

:48:

So I am a noob. Anyone here explain further what defoliation is?

According to google it is removing the leaves from (a tree, plant, or area of land), for agricultural purposes or as a military tactic.

Is this necessary for growing?

I call it chicken legging. Taking the lower leaves and small stems (that won't bud) off to promote growth in the upper (buds) part of the -land. I have never gone to extremes with it and actually taken leaves that can still catch the sun. We did some this year but not as much as usual.

Hope your indoor girls get some good bud. That outdoor plant looks about right. Those "shade leaves" are little solar panels as long as the sun is hitting them.

From reading the articles I posted, it is more recommended for indoors than outdoors.

Oh yes, pruning from the bottom? yes. If you're growing under LED, lots of folks take off leaves strategically for more light penetration. I don't really know if that works or not.

Your plants look really nice.

I call it lollypopping. Only during veg. I like to keep mine stress free during flower.

Thanks for the links Hack.. I'm checking it now. :D

I defoliate but only in veg. I remove the entire bottom quarter and thin out the middle to get better penetration.

They look fine to me I wouldn't take anymore off you can cause stress which would make them hermaphrodite you were all good to defoliate up until 12 12 once you flip that switch do not take no more leaves off look up on YouTube grandmasterlevels Leaf stripping technique I think you'll be quite surprised Me myself I stripped the hell out of them just before I flip

As a rule never in flower, however I have one now that's out of control which is a good thing but I am having to take some that I just don't feel I can leave. Limited to say the least.

Latest posts

Back