White pistils turning brown prematurely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that watering procedure isn't correct, not even close IMO..
you should water until the entire container is "saturated", then allow it to "dry" out before watering again.
"2 cups, twicw per day"... is just wrong. Not sure where you got it, but either a miscommunication, or just misinformation..;)

Ok here's my opinion; stop watering every single day the way you're currently doing it. When you feed/water, soak the soil ENTIRELY until you begin to see runoff from the drainage holes. If you're giving the plant 2 cups of water at a time it's only getting to the shallow roots. The plant will use up that 2 cups of water like you'd drink a teaspoon of cough syrup.

I'd honestly be running about 2 gallons of liquid into one of those pots for each feed/water.

Edit: Damn! Hick beat me to the punch while i was typing! haha

mmmm.. "3 gallon pots" shouldn't require more than 2-3 quarts to 'saturate'... but certainly more than 2 cups :)

EDIT.. you owe me a coke partybro'...:rofl:

I'm just so used to my 5 gal pots, sometimes they are insatiably thirsty...

one coke COMING UP!

Same thing happened to me, Arty. The plant turned out to be hermie. At the time I was thought the light burned the sensitive pistols, because not all of the hairs were burnt.. The bud turned out to be fine - it's still drying, havent tried it yet..

Well, after checking every inch of this plant. I am happy to say " I have no banana's today".

At one point I thought I saw two, but when i tweek them off. They had white pistils sticking out. Its all Woman.

I just flushed it with 1 gallon of water only. Let it run off. I will leave it be, until I see dry spots on the soil.

To answer Hick. 2 cups is not by direction. Rather how much it takes, for the soil to moisten. The plants are near 4 feet tall. Pretty bushy, and lots of pistils. Nothing ever seemed wrong, until now.

Anyway, live and learn. Let me say thanx to everyone. Even Hick, that seems to be phoning it in, :p .

So, how often do you guys feed your plants? How often do you water?

Oh wow...I had a feeling! Im coming for my shed 4U2! :hairpull:

:p
;)

With soil if you watch close enough the plant will tell you when it needs water. A few hours dry wont hurt it like hydro. The leaves will lose turgidity and start to drop. But give it some water and bam, right back on track. I do this with my outdoor plants all the time. I water them like every 2-3 days, just flood em and forget about them. Soil is lees forgiving as long as you feed it nutes only now and then and water every few days or when the pot is light.

OGKushman said:
Oh wow...I had a feeling! Im coming for my shed 4U2! :hairpull:

:p
;)

With soil if you watch close enough the plant will tell you when it needs water. A few hours dry wont hurt it like hydro. The leaves will lose turgidity and start to drop. But give it some water and bam, right back on track. I do this with my outdoor plants all the time. I water them like every 2-3 days, just flood em and forget about them. Soil is lees forgiving as long as you feed it nutes only now and then and water every few days or when the pot is light.

Nah, I think 4U is still dead on with the hermie diagnosis....

I feed with full strength of nutrients every second week, the week in between i just use ph'd water.

just stick a finger in a drainage hole and if you feel moisture it's not ready for more water/nute solution.

Ok, now let me say once again. This is my first grow. So, I do appreciate the help. I would like my first grow, to finish with lots of healthy buds. Lets see.

So, I want to understand it, without any mistake.

For example: Week 1 - Saturate the soil with nute water, once that week.
Week 2 - Saturate the soil with water only, once that week.
and repeat.

Is that correct?

We cant tell you when to water, the plants will tell you.^^ *You may need a soil moisture meter. But that schedule sounds much better then 2 times a day.
Roddy said:
Nah, I think 4U is still dead on with the hermie diagnosis....
How do you figure, he is sayin he is overwatering and that he checks the whole plant for herm flowers but only sees hairs... Now if he reports flowers now or seeds later then we will know, but for now it appears to be overwatering and over nute'in. :p

OGKushman said:
We cant tell you when to water, the plants will tell you.^^ *You may need a soil moisture meter.

HOw do you figure, he is sayin he is overwatering and that he checks the whole plant for herm flowers but only sees hairs... Now if he reports flowers now or seeds later then we will know, but for now it appears to be overwatering. :p

Not so much when, but my question is, one week water/nutes, one week water?

Yeah, I look all over. No sacks. Just pistils. Lots of pistils, only. Its also only on 1 of the 2 plants.

How do you figure, he is sayin he is overwatering and that he checks the whole plant for herm flowers but only sees hairs

Although he is saying he's watering/feeding twice daily, the amounts sound small enough minimal damage would be done, but yes, could definitely be the problem. However, I could be reading this wrong, but it seems the OP says he's suddenly seeing these pistils change brown, which tends to put me on the hermie track...especially since it's one of the two and only on a few buds, as I thought was said? Not saying you're wrong....but I think 4U is right :rofl:

Now if he reports flowers now or seeds later then we will know,

Right you are, and Arty should be watching close lol!!

Arty...watering is a matter of as needed, check the weight of a dry gal ready to be watered, then pick that same gal up after you water fully (should see saturation to a bit of run-off). This will give you an idea of how she feels and when to water. Feeding is every other watering for me (water one time, feed next...repeat....rinse) for me, works good imhe! My gals are in 7-10 gallon pots and are generally watered/fed every 3rd day.

Roddy said:
How do you figure, he is sayin he is overwatering and that he checks the whole plant for herm flowers but only sees hairs

Although he is saying he's watering/feeding twice daily, the amounts sound small enough minimal damage would be done, but yes, could definitely be the problem. However, I could be reading this wrong, but it seems the OP says he's suddenly seeing these pistils change brown, which tends to put me on the hermie track...especially since it's one of the two and only on a few buds, as I thought was said? Not saying you're wrong....but I think 4U is right :rofl:

Now if he reports flowers now or seeds later then we will know,

Right you are, and Arty should be watching close lol!!

Arty...watering is a matter of as needed, check the weight of a dry gal ready to be watered, then pick that same gal up after you water fully (should see saturation to a bit of run-off). This will give you an idea of how she feels and when to water. Feeding is every other watering for me (water one time, feed next...repeat....rinse) for me, works good imhe! My gals are in 7-10 gallon pots and are generally watered/fed every 3rd day.

Yeah, I looked very carefully, and saw no trace of Hermie's. I am pretty much convinced, that I was over doing it. I flushed both pots with water only, and will wait for dry spots. I was thinking of using 5 gallon pots, but in the beginning. I had too many plants under 1 light. This was due to me underestimating, how many seeds would germinate and make it through the Vegetive stage. S space was limited.

My next grow will be 5 gallons. Plus, I just got my refund. So, I am buying some grow tents, and another 600w lighting system.

I grow in 3 gallon growbags and have for all my 6 or 7 grows. The least amount of time between waterings for me has been 3 or 4 days-usually it's more like 5 days. I use nutrients every other watering.

Your plants need to dry out more between waterings. Let them go until you can stick your finger into the soil and it feels dry almost all the way to the end of your finger. Then, water them using drip trays and let them sit for about an hour and there is a decent amount (10% of the amount of water you poured through them) of runoff in the drip trays.

I have no idea if this is related to your brown pistils but cutting back on your waterings will have to help your plants. And everyone else has said it before, but I'd love to see pictures of your plants. Then you'll get some spot on advice. Good luck.

AG

Yeah, I looked very carefully, and saw no trace of Hermie's.

They won't show right away, if hermies!!

This is just my opinion(I am not a soil grower) on pot size. If you are in limited space, I wouldn't go to bigger pots as the plants will naturally want to grow bigger with bigger root space. You can almost say that the root mass will determine the canopy size. You should be able to stay in 3 gallon containers and still grow 4-6' tall plants. :)

You should be able to stay in 3 gallon containers and still grow 4-6' tall plants.
If you are in limited space, I wouldn't go to bigger pots

I wholeheartedly agree with you, my friend, but IF you're growing them to 4'-6' already, a bigger pot will help with upkeep imho and experience. You control size with time of veg more than the pot size does....again, mho

That is a good point. As I said, I am a hydro grower so soil growing is a limited knowledge for me. I grow in containers that are less than 2 liters and still have trouble keeping them under 5' tall by the harvest. :doh:

I took a few pics, but the focus was so poor. It shows nothing. :(

Hermies, I doubt it. I sure as hell hope not. I have come this far. The plants for the most part are looking great.

Thats why it surprised me, when i saw those brown pistils. Its grown close to 4 FT. Its getting thicker, and the leaves are not turning any weird colors.

Thanx again Everyone.:smoke1:

Latest posts

Back