Just bought an EZ Clone. Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been 17 days.

Should I change the water?

It has been 17 days.

Should I change the water?
If you don't have roots by now, I doubt you will. My last run was setup 8 days ago and I have roots already. I set up, adjust PH on second day and never change the water until I am cleaning up for the next run.

And NO, I never use nutes at all. I only use tap water and adjust the PH to 5.6 which typically goes up after day one.

All I have are the little nubs that I have had for a week.

how much light do you have over the cuts? cuts don't need a lot of light to root... from what ive read to much light will make them want to grow and not focus on shooting roots... I use a 13w cfl in a $2 clip light...

what are your water temps running? is the pump on 24/7?

only time ive ever had any issues getting roots was when temps were to high... I didn't even ph on last batch of cuts and they all rooted...

Looking at your pic I think you have the old style rubber inserts. Are they quite soft and sort of sponge like? I went through 100 of those before I finally saw a story about it.

If so these have had some issues for about a year, maybe two or so now as they absorb the water and not repel it causing the stem to get wet above the base rotting the stem. Same principle that causes mold and other issues like pythium.

There are I am sure thousands of those that were sold off to other companies who still sell them today and unless you have an extremely sterile environment, major problems.

The look of these is a dead giveaway as they are very porous.
11564.png

Stay away from those.

Do a search on Google for "Ez-Clone Neoprene Insert, Hard"

31txM%2BFtksL.jpg

Trust me when I say these EZ Cloners can be very frustrating. They seem to be a real PITA if everything isn't just perfect, but once you know and have it set up perfectly nothing beats them for ease of use, and speed.

If you would like to know how I get near 100% every run I am happy to explain, but if your just looking for 15 opinions of what people have had work for them in the past [with very little to no photographic evidence] well then add the food [to a stem that has no roots for uptake], or try out 50 other ideas.

I don't beat around the bush online my friend. I am too old to give a rattsass about someones ego or big head that is giving out bad advise, or wrong information. I am about sound advice from experience based on years and years of doing it, long before the internet was here or many of these people were even born.

I am very direct which is often confused for arrogant, and if you give bad advise I will chop you up and spit you out, often confused for condescending.

I've been told this by my closest friends, many of which I know on this very site on a personal level. Never have I been asked by any of them to change.

I am certainly not for everyone's taste, and I know that. It's a love hate internet relationship for sure.

I've watched you from a far and I like the passion you have, I can see it in your posts. If I could offer some advise to you.

Look through journals, and decide who's methods you would like to follow. If you don't see something listed that they do, ask them not a thread to ask 15 others. Don't make it harder on yourself to try and wade through bad, vs good information. I don't know anyone who isn't willing to share there methods right or wrong for that matter.

There are some very sound growers on here, and there are many who are not.

Here is a 14 day shot how it should be. NOT MY PHOTO
IMG_1233_zps7ace22ef.jpg
If you're not seeing this, then it's time to start over unless you just don't have the cuts to load it again. No harm in letting it run, but results will not be great at this point as cuts will start to wither away.

Setup of the next run will be most important, but before that looking over the cuts for why these did not work will also be key. Just don't chalk it up to well these didn't work, lets find out why.

I have a process for cleaning the unit as well which I feel is the most important thing to do properly.

how much light do you have over the cuts? cuts don't need a lot of light to root... from what ive read to much light will make them want to grow and not focus on shooting roots... I use a 13w cfl in a $2 clip light...

what are your water temps running? is the pump on 24/7?

only time ive ever had any issues getting roots was when temps were to high... I didn't even ph on last batch of cuts and they all rooted...

I have 4 standard 40w fluorescent bulbs in 2 4' shop lights. And, the bulbs are pretty old. Definitely not TOO MUCH light. I was thinking it might not be enough and was going to replace the bulbs with new bulbs.

Water temps is always under 80. Never seen it below 77. So, 77-80F

Pump runs 24/7 (except that time I forgot it overnight).

pH is 5.5 - 5.9

I am with JAM, all I use is a 23w cfl wich is plenty.

Looking at your pic I think you have the old style rubber inserts. Are they quite soft and sort of sponge like? I went through 100 of those before I finally saw a story about it.

I just checked and they are soft and spongy. The stems are not soaked inside the plug. The picture looks like it is 2 layers. Mine do not look like that. I'll make a run to the grow store and see if they have the new kind.

I don't beat around the bush online my friend. I am too old to give a rattsass about someones ego or big head that is giving out bad advise, or wrong information. I am about sound advice from experience based on years and years of doing it, long before the internet was here or many of these people were even born.

I am very direct which is often confused for arrogant, and if you give bad advise I will chop you up and spit you out, often confused for condescending.

I've been told this by my closest friends, many of which I know on this very site on a personal level. Never have I been asked by any of them to change.

I am certainly not for everyone's taste, and I know that. It's a love hate internet relationship for sure.

I've watched you from a far and I like the passion you have, I can see it in your posts. If I could offer some advise to you.

Look through journals, and decide who's methods you would like to follow. If you don't see something listed that they do, ask them not a thread to ask 15 others. Don't make it harder on yourself to try and wade through bad, vs good information. I don't know anyone who isn't willing to share there methods right or wrong for that matter.

Not a problem, my friend. I have been a screaming success at everything I've done most of my life. I sold my company and retired a multi-milly before I was 50. I am pretty thick skinned and arrogance is my middle name. LMAO It is very doubtful that anything you (or anyone else) say will offend me or upset me. So, lay it on me, brother. LOL

However, I do like to listen to the opinions of others.... ALL others, even the stupid ignorant SOB's that have no clue what they are talking about. You've heard the expression, "Out of the mouths of babes"?

So, I listen to it all and take each with a grain of salt. It becomes very clear very quickly on a forum like this who knows what they are talking about and who is full of themselves (and plenty of bull).

You're obviously well informed and your posts are well written and easy to understand. Like I said before, Lay it on me, cause I'm all ears. LOL And, even though I will sometimes forget to say thank you, it is always appreciated.

IMG_1233_zps7ace22ef.jpg
If you're not seeing this, then it's time to start over unless you just don't have the cuts to load it again. No harm in letting it run, but results will not be great at this point as cuts will start to wither away.

Setup of the next run will be most important, but before that looking over the cuts for why these did not work will also be key. Just don't chalk it up to well these didn't work, lets find out why.

I have a process for cleaning the unit as well which I feel is the most important thing to do properly.

I am definitely searching for why it didn't work. Temperature seems to be really important and I was pushing the envelope at 77 - 80F. I can arrange for a cooler environment next time.

I can pull some more cuttings from the mothers. They have only been in 12/12 for a couple days. I'm sure it's early enough to pull a few more cuttings.

However, in the interest of experimentation, I would like to leave some of these to see if they die or if they eventually grow roots.

Thanks again.

If so these have had some issues for about a year, maybe two or so now as they absorb the water and not repel it causing the stem to get wet above the base rotting the stem. Same principle that causes mold and other issues like pythium.

There are I am sure thousands of those that were sold off to other companies who still sell them today and unless you have an extremely sterile environment, major problems.

The look of these is a dead giveaway as they are very porous.
11564.png

Stay away from those.

Do a search on Google for "Ez-Clone Neoprene Insert, Hard"

31txM%2BFtksL.jpg

Trust me when I say these EZ Cloners can be very frustrating. They seem to be a real PITA if everything isn't just perfect, but once you know and have it set up perfectly nothing beats them for ease of use, and speed.

If you would like to know how I get near 100% every run I am happy to explain, but if your just looking for 15 opinions of what people have had work for them in the past [with very little to no photographic evidence] well then add the food [to a stem that has no roots for uptake], or try out 50 other ideas.

IMG_1233_zps7ace22ef.jpg

Great post and very happy to see another member here who is at best Far Beyond Newbie(FBN) ...but I still stand by my initial advice....
"Understand what you are doing... is simple "Cambium Engineering" the simple process of growing roots out of the underlying tissue of the plants outer skin(bark)
do this best requires darkness as the hormone(epi....?) to be totally active needs no light, so once you get hassles with you ezy thing ...paint it black and clean each run, after with common household bleach.
One of the most VIP this to learn is to cut your clone to the right "size" and trim excess leaf off is a skill to master, or better just copy the way they do it in dispensaries ..l
ol "

ps and yes.......... I to have had STEM ROT from some strange DIY foam plugs, of late many DIY cloners are using pool toys(?) cut to disc as an alt

Hackerman, I wouldn't give up on them. You have the start of roots there. You have gone this long, give them a bit longer. I know that hammy says that Larry can take 3 weeks to root. I'm sure that there are other strains that take that long as well.

I will have to let them go for a few more days because I am busy with other stuff, anyway. All that bud from last week's harvest needs to be trimmed and put in jars to cure. And, I have 2 gigs this week and one this weekend (pray for sunshine on Sunday. We play outside).

The bad news is that I need my soil clones to survive so I had to turn the temp up a tiny bit. 70's is a little cold for soil cloning. So, the EZ Clone temps are going to go up for a couple days.

I will play it by ear but I have to give priority to the soil clones. I need those for my next crop.

Just to be safe, I am going to pull a few more clones from the mothers before they get too far into flowering.

I'll keep updating. Thanks everyone.

Funny, ever since the temp went up, they started sprouting roots. I am thinking it was not the increase in temp but rather, "just their time". The oldest clones are in day 24.

I mean, everything says less than 80F. This is over 80 almost all the time now.

Most of them have improved (see the first pic).

Check out that second pic. Can you say, "face this side toward misters". LMAO. I rotated them all now that I have seen that.

Everything looks nice and green up top (pic 3).

The soil clones (pic 4) are coming along nicely. They are the same age as the EZ Clones and almost every one has roots coming out of the bottom. Looks like I had 100%. Actually, I lost one to overwatering but I have 8 more that I took out of the EZ Clone and stuck into soil. When the EZ CLone looked like it was going to work really well, I took the worse 8 cutting and replaced them with 8 better cuttings. Most of them had less than 1/8" of stem sticking out of the neoprene plug. Probably wouldn't have done very well. But, I couldn't toss them out so I put them in soil. Those all have roots, already.

Plus, I took another 18 cuttings last week when I got all paranoid that I wouldn't have enough survivors for 16 plants. LMAO Those are only about 4 days old. Check out that temp and humidity reading under the dome. LOL

So, even though I only need 16 plants for my next crop, it looks like I'll have about 50 clones to choose from.

Then, what to do with the rest. I can't toss them. LMAO

Overall, the clone closet looks pretty nice.

I can remember the days when we just pinched off cuttings with our thumbnail and stuck them in starters. Had more that 70% usually, even with that amazing technique. LOL

Check out the last shot. Another experiment. Here's a stem. Not much more. LOL I left as little on as possible without actually stripping the stem clean. LOL Any bets on whether this roots or not?

View attachment bubbleclones081814-3.jpg

View attachment bubbleclones081814-5.jpg

View attachment bubbleclones081814-6.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-1.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-2.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-3.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-4.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-5.jpg

View attachment kushclones081814-6.jpg

I need to get these clones out of the bubbler. I think it's been long enough. I believe it's been over 30 days. Some of them are showing signs of hunger. The water doesn't smell just perfect. I try to air out the water every day for at least a few minutes but it is still getting pretty old.

I also see some slime here and there.

The worse thing I see is nodes growing on the roots right at the stem. I don't remember what that is.... but I don't think it was good. LOL Check out the one close-up shot and you'll see them.

I think the soil clones are close enough so I might as well do the switch to veg tent thing.

I am curious to see the root growth on the 3 types of soil clones and the EZ Clone.

I have gigs tonight, tomorrow and Thursday night so I will be drunk/hungover until Friday. LOL I have the dirt mixed and ready so I'm half way there. I planned on putting these clones to veg on Sept 1st so I am pretty close.

View attachment kushbubbleclones082614-1.jpg

View attachment kushbubbleclones082614-2.jpg

OK, the results are in. And, the winner is.......[drum roll].

Well, you decide. But, I would say the 50/50 mix of Fox Farms Happy Frog Potting Soil and Fox Farms Light Warrior Seed Starter Mix.

The first 3 pics are the FF Light Warrior alone. The second 3 are the 50/50 mix and the third 3 are the Happy Frog alone.

We have to keep in mind that not all the cuttings were equal so the baseline for the experiment is a little crooked. LOL I had over 100% success (don't ask) and lost only 1 cutting out of 42. Naturally, I have way too many clones now. LOL I only need 16. :) These are all 30 days old (actually 33).

Still, overall I would say the Light Warrior alone was nice and it drained very well (like most starter mixes) but it didn't have the nutes in it that the other 2 had so the plants were definitely lighter green on all 6 plants. And the roots don't seem as bright white as the others and they don't look as big and fat.

The Happy Frog potting soil alone was just a little too hot. I lost one and had some leaf burning on most of the others. Still, the roots look as good as any in the group.

The 50/50 mix of the 2 seemed to work the best. Nice color. Nice plump roots. Nice green plants.

Unfortunately, I would say the EZ Clone was the clear looser. LMAO Although the roots formed nicely (see the pics in the post above this one) I don't think they compare to the soil clones. Plus, I'm not sure if I damaged any roots while transplanting them. This might be better for hydro.

Just for S and G, I am going to clean it up and do another run. I am going to clean up the bottom branches of the mother that is wilting and clone those branches. They are about 2 1/2 weeks into flowering so it should make a nice experiment.

So, at least for this strain, I would say the 50/50 mix is the 1st place winner. The reward was the prime spot in the veg tent, where they all went today and for the next 30 days.

View attachment 082814clonecontestlw-1.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontestlw-2.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontestlw-3.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthh-1.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthh-2.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthh-3.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthf-1.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthf-2.jpg

View attachment 082814clonecontesthf-3.jpg

View attachment 082814vegtent.jpg

Here we are, 4 days later and look how nicely all the soil clones have adapted to the new 3 quart pots. That's the 18 plants in the center.

The 6 across the back and 6 along the sides are the plants that were cloned in the EZ Clone. Look how they are struggling to adapt to their new environment. Going from the water to the dirt was a pretty good shock. They are not growing well and can not even be compared to the soil clones. In fact, they looked better last week. LOL

This little device was fun to play with but it goes back into the box and onto eBay for some other lucky tester. LOL

Plus, I still have a bunch of survivors sitting in clone limbo waiting for space (last pic). LOL

I do still have 1 clone in it. I think we are at almost day 45. No food. No misting. Just the EZ Clone life support system. LOL Still, it looks pretty good. I'm just going to leave it in the EZ Clone indefinitely. LOL We'll see how long the roots get. She looks pretty good right now.

View attachment 090214kushclones-2.jpg

View attachment 090214kushclones-3.jpg

View attachment 090214kushclones-4.jpg

View attachment 090214kushclonesleftoverbubbler-1.jpg

View attachment 090214kushclonesleftovers-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back