Tent Growers Club....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using your fan that way is not going to work. You are going to need it sucking air out--otherwise you are never going to be able to get negative pressure and you will have odors everywhere. I would recommend either getting a smaller fan and a speed controller. You can build a box to house the fan and help control some of the noise or hanging it will cut down on some of the vibration. You do not need an intake fan--most of us do not use one. Do not connect the filter until you need it. You might want to read up a bit on setting up ventilation. Good ventilation is almost as important as your light.

Do you have an air coolable hood? I do not believe that you are going to be able to keep the temps in the tent 5 degrees of ambient temps without....and even then, a 600W in a 3 x 3 tent is going to result in pretty good heat.

I didn't quite understand your last question about watering?

Just set up my first tent. I'm not thrilled with the heat though... I don't have all equipment I need though...

Temps got to 83 after 20 minutes. I have a bum ducting job just trying to mock set up and play with it.

Equipment is as follows:
Gavita 600 Pro New E Series
Gavita El2 controller
3x3 Gorilla Grow Tent
8in Hyperfan for exhaust
39in Phresh Filter
8in Hyperfan for intake

Filter is to big for tent. So I ran it outside of tent with fan on it blowing in. Prefilter is cut to fit and on inside of filter. I'm using 6in ducting to reducer to the fan. Noticed lots of pinholes and light leaks in tent around stitching windows corners and zippers. House temp was 70 to 72 degrees. Forced air air conditioning. Filter was sitting by tent. I am wanting 5degree diff between ambient and tent temp. Was not using intake fan when I did this test. Was more of a lets plug everything in and see it run yes run though. Got to wait a week or so before getting more stuff like intake filter, pots, duct tape, propper ducting, circulation fans etc.

Thought El2 was broken cause thermometer wasn't plugged in all the way. Didn't want to turn fan on full blast cause lots of vibration to the floor (upstairs apt & 1am). Play with it more tomorrow. Trying to get pictures but phone takes pics that are to big. Windows at&t go phone. Trying to resize pics with aps but they want file size greater than 50 (kb?)

Will post more later.

Do you guys use a shop vac and saucers for watering or some type of flood tray?
I'm anxious to get this tent roaring.

I've got one grow in and working on my second grow with my tent. It's 32" x 32" x 84" tall. I'm using a 6" Hyperfan and 6" filter inside the tent, I'm pulling air through the bottom of my tent and and ducting the warm air through the floor of my house. The tent is inside my closet. I've never seen my temps above 82 degrees F nor below 60 degrees F and humidity runs around 40 to 50%. I'm using an LED light so I believe that helps keep temps manageable. Oh and I run my fan around 40 to 50% depending on how my temps look.

When I first set up the tent I was bummed to see I had light leaks just like you mentioned. I believe you would have a hard time finding a tent that didn't leak some amount of light. I got in the tent and had myself zipped up inside with the bottom air vents open and all the lights outside the tent on as well as the blinds on all the windows open. I couldn't see the hand in front of my face, pitch black. So a little light leaking out doesn't mean light is getting in, so just check and see if you have the same results.

I soil grow using fabric grow bags (5 gal) with my grow bag sitting in a plastic tray, like you would eat boiled crawfish or shrimp from, about $3.00 each from Academy Sports.
When I water I never pull the water from the tray but simply allow the water to be pulled back into the soil, it's always gone in a couple of hours. I water heavy, and allow the soil to become fairly arid before watering again, usually every other day as much as two days between watering. Let the soil and plant talk to you.

Good Luck,

Peace

Joining the Tent Growers Club! I am moving my grow from my master bedroom/bath to tents in a spare bedroom. I have had my 32" x 32" for a while, but never used it except to veg with in the winter months. Now I will be going all tent. So, any words of wisdom you all can pass on.

I have ordered a 3 x 5 Secret Jardin for flowering and will be using the 32" x 32" for vegging. I have a 30,000 lumen T5 that I am still going to use to veg. I will be running LEDs in flowering--getting me into the 21st century as someone on here put it :giggle:. After much discussion and thought, I am borrowing a 768W Apollo Purple Sun and going to buy another light--maybe a different type or brand. A new Mars II 700W (from an authorized seller) went for $232 last week on e-bay while I was shooting the sh*t with my daughter and not paying attention.

So, since I have always grown someplace that I could just mount anything I wanted to on the walls, I will probably be asking about things like....how do you keep your cords neat and off the floor and stuff like that. Also, I have always had an air cooled HID light for flowering--the LEDs will run substantially cooler than my 1000W HPS. I have 1 4" and 2 6" fans. The tents will be sitting right next to each other. Thinking of venting them together, but do have the option of using the 4" in the vegging tent, which is where it is now. Ventilation will probably be a trial and error thing. It is still not too warm here yet, so cooling is not a problem. I will probably pull cool air from the crawl space again....but going to see if I can access the heat ducting vent rather than cut another big hole in the floor.

Looking forward to all the advise and wisdom that I can glean from you who have been using tents (and LEDs) for a while.

Peterevans--great looking buds!

Cant wait to see your LED GROW THG. Wanna hear what you think when its done. Deffently will be watching.

Well I have had great luck with my 32" x 32" x 84" tall tent. I'm glad I went with a 84" tall tent, gives me enough head room to keep my fan and carbon filter tucked away at the top of the tent. I've only grown Indica's but feel like I have enough vertical room for a sativa in the future. My 576 watt LED has worked great in this tent. My first grow I had 3 plants in the tent, one too many for sure, this grow I'm growing two, much better.

My goal is to just grow one plant inside my tent but increase my yield. For my third grow I'm going to try my hand at main-lining or fluxing. I want to optimize my LED by keeping my cola's at the same elevation.

I envy those folks that are lucky enough to grow outdoors. One day perhaps.......

Peace

do tents run cooler with plants in them with transpiration? Will using 8 in ducting with my 8in fan instead of 6in ducting make much difference?

That's an interesting question. I ran my setup a few days before moving my plants into the tent. I really can't answer the question about the temps, if there was a difference it wasn't enough to notice, humidity did rise percentage points, but again not a great deal. 8 inch fan should be good if you have the room.

Just to be clear I'm ducting out the tent to fan that is sitting on a filter and pushing air into the filter outside of the tent.
I have a 10 & an 8 in fan so I will get an 8 in exhaust filter and a run of 10 in ducting for my exhaust. If I have to I will get an 8 in intake filter for forced air so not all the air is burning the plants via the vent in bottom of tent.
My vision is to be able to set my EL2 controller to 78 degrees and have ambient house temperatures running at 70 degrees. In the dead of summer my can keep my house at 68 if I wanted.
Does anyone run forced Air into tents. I have the ports for it. Is there a big difference between 8in and 6in ducting.

do tents run cooler with plants in them with transpiration? Will using 8 in ducting with my 8in fan instead of 6in ducting make much difference?

I think the light you are running runs real hot. Not even sure if I know anyone running them in tents.

Joining the Tent Growers Club! I am moving my grow from my master bedroom/bath to tents in a spare bedroom. I have had my 32" x 32" for a while, but never used it except to veg with in the winter months. Now I will be going all tent. So, any words of wisdom you all can pass on.

I have ordered a 3 x 5 Secret Jardin for flowering and will be using the 32" x 32" for vegging. I have a 30,000 lumen T5 that I am still going to use to veg. I will be running LEDs in flowering--getting me into the 21st century as someone on here put it :giggle:. After much discussion and thought, I am borrowing a 768W Apollo Purple Sun and going to buy another light--maybe a different type or brand. A new Mars II 700W (from an authorized seller) went for $232 last week on e-bay while I was shooting the sh*t with my daughter and not paying attention.

So, since I have always grown someplace that I could just mount anything I wanted to on the walls, I will probably be asking about things like....how do you keep your cords neat and off the floor and stuff like that. Also, I have always had an air cooled HID light for flowering--the LEDs will run substantially cooler than my 1000W HPS. I have 1 4" and 2 6" fans. The tents will be sitting right next to each other. Thinking of venting them together, but do have the option of using the 4" in the vegging tent, which is where it is now. Ventilation will probably be a trial and error thing. It is still not too warm here yet, so cooling is not a problem. I will probably pull cool air from the crawl space again....but going to see if I can access the heat ducting vent rather than cut another big hole in the floor.

Looking forward to all the advise and wisdom that I can glean from you who have been using tents (and LEDs) for a while.

Peterevans--great looking buds!

Biggest thing I am still struggling with transition wise going from HPS to LED is flipping them early and defoliating a bit. You really have to manage your lights foot print well. The plants need to be a certain distance from the lights in order to get the right blend of spectrum. They also seem to eat less.
Hope that helps.

Cool then I will be pioneering this. Plz wish me luck don't want to get another light. Thanks for your input everyone. How close to the ceiling do you guys feel its safe to keep the light? I've got 84 in celing may be able to get another foot out of it but will have to vent hot air out the side.

Cool then I will be pioneering this. Plz wish me luck don't want to get another light. Thanks for your input everyone. How close to the ceiling do you guys feel its safe to keep the light? I've got 84 in celing may be able to get another foot out of it but will have to vent hot air out the side.

Good luck with the your grow. I can't offer any advice on your grow light and using it inside your tent. I have no idea how much heat the light produces. I love new technology and the progress that is being made in is awesome. I would keep seeking information from others that are using your light and their opinions.

I have a tent that's 84" tall. In my setup I have my carbon filter that is mounted to the top supports of the tent with my 6" Hyperfan coupled directly to it. From there I run my 6" flexible duct out the top of the tent through through the floor of my room to the crawl space below my house. My LED grow light is suspended below my carbon filter and exhaust fan where I can lower it accordingly. I pull fresh air through the intake vents at the bottom of the tent and exhaust it through the top of the tent, I always have negative air pressure in the tent and I run an osculating fan inside the tent as well.

I believe most inside growers would agree that you want to PULL air through your filter as opposed to PUSHING the air. If you don't have room for both the filter and the fan inside your tent I would consider mounting the filter inside your tent and have the fan on the outside, that way you would be pulling air not pushing it.

Peace

still drying/curing 3 x cheese phenos in the buckets with the Boveda humidity packs.

I love bovida, curious why you chose 49% instead of 62%, that's what I run. If your curing and the RH is <60% your out of the cure zone according to my knowledge. Do you cure at >60% and then store and smoke @ 49% because that's the way you like your buds?

Well this is my first tent 3x3. Has plasma for a veg light. Need to grab picture of it with hps in it. The light is warming up and goes through lots of colors..

Well I have finally posted my first picture. Been trying to post pictures in forums forever. Happy moment.

View attachment WP_DS20150520.jpg

I have pretty much everything I need to start my first run. I need bigger air pots. For after they are established and some kind of water catch so I can flush if or when necessary. Still need to get ducting to get heat out when I go to flower. And I need seeds / clones.

Do your tents have light leaks. Funny I called gorillagrowtents and the lady was all surprised I had light leaks. Not the first time she's heard it I am sure.

My tent leaks around zippers, stitching on pocket, and corners. No leaks through main material except around the interior pockets stitching. Wish they would add some more Velcro flaps over zippers and corners. Other than that tent looks like it will hold up.

Where should I hang my temperature and rh probes in tent. They have little sombreros so the light don't interfere w/reading. I'm guessing my light will be 24-30 inches above my crop.

]Just to be clear I'm ducting out the tent to fan that is sitting on a filter and pushing air into the filter outside of the tent.[/B]
I have a 10 & an 8 in fan so I will get an 8 in exhaust filter and a run of 10 in ducting for my exhaust. If I have to I will get an 8 in intake filter for forced air so not all the air is burning the plants via the vent in bottom of tent.
QUOTE]

No, ventilation is not generally run that way. People generally have the filter in the tent and pull air through it. It is almost impossible to get negative pressure and maintain odors if things are connected as you have explained. If you are not air cooling your light it goes, filter, ducting to fan, fan, and ducting to outside. A lot of people do not have room for all that inside their tent, so just put the filter in the tent and the fan outside the tent.

You can see some light around the zippers in my tent, also, but it is minimal. I did find though that when I went in the tent and had someone zip it up that the much weaker ambient light did not penetrate the zippers in. It is just that there is so much light, it is so concentrated, and it is so strong in the tent that it is visible when other light isn't.

I am going to go with
Exhaust:
tent > 10" ducting > Inline filter ( ducting connects to both ends of filter.) > 10" fan > then final run of ducting.
Intake:
Intake filter > 8" fan > 8" ducting > tent > ducting to top of canopy.

Both fans have dials. I am planning on leaving vent open in tent sucking out tons of air and injecting some air into tent to clear heat out.

Latest posts

Back