Would like some first time growing advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Budget For A First Time Grower

• £0-£25

• £25-£45

• £45-£75

• £100-£150

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheHerbApprentice

First Time Grower
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post.

Within the next few months i am looking to grow a few plants as a hobby.

I would like some advice on...well basically everything from start to finish.
I know this is alot to ask for someone to just blurt out to me on one post so i was going to do it in stages and ask each stage and get a variety of responses so i can choose the best one.

So my first question on this thread is.

Where is the best place for me to grow indoors?

Attic, Back Building ( solid concrete and metal roof ) etc.

Also, what size wardrobe for the cultivation of about 10 plants?
(I was hoping to have a cycle going on with plants flowering on top and the bottom half just sprouting.)

My last part of my question is, what would be best for a low budget first time grower, hydroponics ( ebb and flow ) soil growing etc.

Any advice is welcome and if you feel like taking me under your wing and making messaging me a regular thing with advice as i go through the stage's that would be brilliant!

Thanks guy's and girls looing forward to using this site!

Hey Guys went to sleep not thinking i would get replys and BAM i get lots of them, thanks! :)

Right so i've decided a two door wardrobe that will either be placed in the atttic or the concrete out building which does convenientlly have our smoke up room right next to it! :)

What should i use to line the wardrobe to get maximum light coverage?

Much love

Hi there! Im new too! I cant answer your questions directly, but Im sure someone will be along shortly who may have some questions for you to help determine the best route. Kinda like when the doctor asks you questions to get to the bottum of things. Anyways, may I suggest that you look into autos, only because then you dont have to have 2 grow spaces, and for sure look at flourescent lighting. Like I said, Im sure someone else will be able to assist you.
:ciao:

welcome and Happy Growing....soil is allways easyier for first time growers..get the basics down then step into something ya may like...Best advice I can give is Read read read...start your grow with what ya have..and build upon it..read all the stickies in the general indoor growing and the resources...I would be happy to help ya in any way I can..feel free to PM me with any questions and or concerns..I would be happy to assist you in finding answers...this is an exciting hobby and is very rewording if done correct...if not can be the most frustrateing...But remember you have to go threw the growing pains of getting started...Hope to see ya around.untill then take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Hey vdog you should make the tt xx in that link so its not live, or a mod will do it for you. (no live links)

nova564t said:
Hey vdog you should make the tt xx in that link so its not live, or a mod will do it for you. (no live links)

oops! done! thanxxx
did u check it out atleast?

edit: crap its changed and still live, delete!

4u is correct , soil would be better for you ,
so next would be where can you grow in your house ? i use a closet.
money will be the need of how big your space is , seeds are cheap , the bigger the space the bigger (more lumen's )light needed , so find a space .

No I didn't, re post with xs so I can check it out.

Welcome to MP.
I think your budget is way low unless you have mad DIY skills. Spend a lot of time reading grow journals and grow room set ups and then look around your place and at your resources and then come back and run your ideas past the forum members.

OldHippieChick said:
Welcome to MP.
I think your budget is way low unless you have mad DIY skills. Spend a lot of time reading grow journals and grow room set ups and then look around your place and at your resources and then come back and run your ideas past the forum members.

:yeahthat:

And dont forget to check the Shed:giggle:

a closet, a 2 gallon container, some soil with good drainage, ro water with a ph kit, a healthy auto seed, 4 cfls, and a desk fan. Simple and a great way to start is my vote!

vdog said:
a closet, a 2 gallon container, some soil with good drainage, ro water with a ph kit, a healthy auto seed, 4 cfls, and a desk fan. Simple and a great way to start is my vote!

Thanks man this looks like something i can whip together within the next few weeks! :)
Might try this idea of set up just to get into the "grow" of things ;)

4u2sm0ke said:
welcome and Happy Growing....soil is allways easyier for first time growers..get the basics down then step into something ya may like...Best advice I can give is Read read read...start your grow with what ya have..and build upon it..read all the stickies in the general indoor growing and the resources...I would be happy to help ya in any way I can..feel free to PM me with any questions and or concerns..I would be happy to assist you in finding answers...this is an exciting hobby and is very rewording if done correct...if not can be the most frustrateing...But remember you have to go threw the growing pains of getting started...Hope to see ya around.untill then take care and be safe:bolt::bong:
Thanks man that is great to hear im so glad i signed up to this!
A whole community full to he brim with people who love the same thing as me!
Ill most deffinitly pm you when i need help, thank you very much mate :)

Hi HA,
Welcome. It is a fun hobby to be apprenticing in. It is addicting, growing, not smoking.
Read all you can like the folks above me said.
I think, get some quality soil and get started.

Rosebud said:
Hi HA,
Welcome. It is a fun hobby to be apprenticing in. It is addicting, growing, not smoking.
Read all you can like the folks above me said.
I think, get some quality soil and get started.

Thanks! Im trying to take in as much information and advice as i can, by the way guys i edited my original post with an update on my decision in orange with a few more questions :)

TheHerbApprentice said:
Hello everyone this is my first post.

Within the next few months i am looking to grow a few plants as a hobby.

I would like some advice on...well basically everything from start to finish.
I know this is alot to ask for someone to just blurt out to me on one post so i was going to do it in stages and ask each stage and get a variety of responses so i can choose the best one.

So my first question on this thread is.

Where is the best place for me to grow indoors?

Attic, Back Building ( solid concrete and metal roof ) etc.

Also, what size wardrobe for the cultivation of about 10 plants?
(I was hoping to have a cycle going on with plants flowering on top and the bottom half just sprouting.)

My last part of my question is, what would be best for a low budget first time grower, hydroponics ( ebb and flow ) soil growing etc.

Any advice is welcome and if you feel like taking me under your wing and making messaging me a regular thing with advice as i go through the stage's that would be brilliant!

Thanks guy's and girls looing forward to using this site!

Hey Guys went to sleep not thinking i would get replys and BAM i get lots of them, thanks! :)

Right so i've decided a two door wardrobe that will either be placed in the atttic or the concrete out building which does convenientlly have our smoke up room right next to it! :)

What should i use to line the wardrobe to get maximum light coverage?

Much love
flat white paint

whats the measurements of the wardrobe you plan to use? that will determine how much light you need. your gonna want as close to 5000 lumens per sqft of grow space. hope this helps

WELOME THA!!!!

Pass on the CFL's...junk IMHO. Read read read...as others have said, and then you'll have a better idea of what to ask about. I started with a 400metal hallide and some junk soil and was greatly disappointed when my bagseeds hermied...put a bit of time, some money and patience into your operation and you should avoid this!

slowmo77 said:
whats the measurements of the wardrobe you plan to use? that will determine how much light you need. your gonna want as close to 5000 lumens per sqft of grow space. hope this helps

Ill post the measurements when i get home so look for an update soon :)

I'm with OHC--your budget is on the low side. Don't know the exchange rate now, but your highest figures are probably still low by half or more (you are probably going to need double your highest figure).

I would not grow in an attic--it gets incredibly hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Like mentioned, you need to determine the size of the space you will be using since lighting and ventilation needs will be taken from the sq and cubic footage of your space. I would also suggest HPS lighting rather than CFLs--CFLs simply cost more and do less. Your ventilation is as important as your lighting--get what you need now. I recommend exchanging the air in your space 3-5 times a minute.

I would also encourage you to go with reg seeds rather than autos and known genetics rather than bagseed (they often hermie). I think that 10 plants may be a bit optimistic for a wardrobe--I run about 8 plants in a 3 x 6.5' closet with 2 600W HPS lights.

What kind of high are you looking for?

Latest posts

Back