Lights for vegging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was curious on what type of light or how strong i should use once i start vegging. I have 2 27w 5500k daylight cfl "they say = to 100w. They are very bright but i dont beleive its 100w. Anyone with the knolledge of lights that might be able to help me or point me in the right direction.Im gettin a 250 hps soon should i veg with that or get stronger cfls..... any ideas? any input is appreciated thnx.

hi there ,,,well first off
how big is your veg/grow closet/room ? as wether in veg or flower you are gonna need a minimum of 5000 lumens sq ft ,,you will find out how many lumens is on each bulb on the side of the box ,,,,
lots of people prefer to veg with cfls ,,,flos..or mh ,,better light spectrum but you can also veg under hps ,,,,goodluck:48:

Like uk girl siad you need about 5000 lumens per sq foot so what ever will get you closest to that is what you want t do. You can get a 400 watt metal halide for about $150 thats like 30,000 lumens. Or you could spend $100 and get like 4 3ft floros with two bulbs each thats like 16,000 lumens

If your on a budget go to youtube and search how to build a grow light. I use something similar for veg cept I "doubled the recipe" So to speak
The key to useing fluros is for about the first 2 weeks keep the light right on them and you will notice they get very bushy and dont stretch. After two weeks I moved the light 2 inchs from the top and it was like it stored up growth and then started growing vertically at an astonishing rate and has been ever since. My veg box is on 24 hours and every morning new leaf growth is toutching the bulb, its truely amazing considering the fixtures are 10 bucks a piece at wal mart.....hmm maybe I could do a write up.....itd be awsome to get a sticky!!!!! But remember keep em close and KEEP EM ON.

I've read in a thread somewhere that the "minimum of LUMENS that you should have in veg per sq. ft. is 3500/ flowering is bout 5000" I believe it was on this forum? You should search it...

Latest posts

Back