ScROG question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
I'm doing my first hydro-grow with a system I built. I had planned to grow 12 plants in a 2'x4' space (SOG) but managed to kill about 6 clones.

I'm wondering now how I can take 4 or 5 plants and get them to fill in the canopy. Do I want the plants to branch out close to the base, then get them to grow through the mesh? Or do I train them straight up and let them branch out after they reach the mesh?

I'm asking because I'm working with an F2 hybrid and it seems to want to bush out on me. It would be easier I think to let it branch where it wants to branch, rather than fight it.

I'm running a 400W HPS and have a 15 gallon res. I'm using a 2 part Dutch Masters vegging nute and have the pH dialed in (I splurged on a good PPM meter and pH probe) so I think I can keep the plants well fed and adjusted. I just want to maximize the amount of canopy to capture *** much light as possible.
Any help would be great.

well, right off the bat there are two ways to achieve your SOG. the frist way is to have a rediculess number of plants in that 2x4 area "say you had 50 plants in a 2x4 tray" now that might sound crazy because each plant has no room to grow wide. but by doing so you cut your Veg time in half, and you also avoid the need to top or super-crop your plant because your only trying to get about 9 G's off each plant. but 9grams x 50plants equals Just over a pound. and a pound off of a 400watt HPS is phenomenal!

The Second Way, is have a really low number of plants and to Top and Super-Crop the plant as many times as nesacery to make it look like you have 50 plants in a 2x4 hut. Once again say you have 6 plants, if you top each plant 8times and set up a trellis/canopy. by the time your 2weeks into bloom it will look like you have 50plants in the room and you will get the same weight as the tray with 50plants! Now the only down side to doing it the second method is more time needed to Veg... Meaning more cost out of your pocket to produce the same weight, and more time between crops
:)

Actually with this many plant in this much space you might want to look into SCROG mor LST. Do a search--there is plenty of info.

Latest posts

Back