How long will canna butter last?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I made some butter last week and because I don't do edibles much, I put most of it in the freezer. Does anyone have any experience with how long canna butter will last in the freezer?

Thanks

Ive went as far as 2 yrs. By that time I have used all up. How are you preparing for storage?

:48:

i make mine out of coconut oil because it keeps for a long time. i had a batch in my refrigerator for over a year. not sure if you make it out of butter. i have kept regular butter in the freezer and used it after a few months for baking with no noticeable change.

fogey, when you make your coconut oil, do you use water?

I made some yesterday and I used 3 grams of hash (dry sift), 4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil and about 1/2 cup of water.

I put all that in the double boiler and cook it at about 200F to 220F for about 8 hours (adding water throughout to keep the 2-1 ratio up).

After a few hours in the fridge I drained off the water and remelted the oil. Then, I poured it though a 90u mesh to strain out the hash and I got back about 3 1/2 tbsp of oil. Lost a 1/2 tbsp in the squeeze, probably. Couple more hours in the fridge to harden and.... bingo, all done.

Just ate a teaspoon portion. We'll see in an hour or so.

I wonder if anyone has tried to use a coffee percolator? 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of water and fill the basket with decarbed pot. The optimum brewing temperature for coffee is about 200F so that's probably the temperature that a percolator would use. If the butter didn't clog things up, it might work.

dude, a teaspoon sounds like an awful lot. i could be wrong. lol. have fun.

but, yes, i use water and a slow cooker. i put about 500 grams of cocount oil in the slow cooker and about 250 grams (all i can fit) of trim, stems, fan leaves, etc in the pot and then fill the pot up with water. i cook it overnightish on low-medium. i try to not let it boil. then i pour it thru a collander lined with cheese cloth to strain out the big stuff. let it cool a little and squeeze the heck out of it. i let that water/squeezins chill so the oil solidfy and reheat the balled up cheese cloth in more water and kinda repeat. sometimes i repeat again. it is kinda a pain in the rear but i love the cannabutter brownies. i usually get about 400 grams out of the 500 i put in. i made approx 800 grams of butter from my outdoor plant. that makes me 4 batches of brownies(80 per batch). i eat about a half of a brownie and i am good. so that is about a gram of butter per dose for me. the interweb says you munched 4 and a half grams. seeing as how you used keef/hash, you are going to be buzzing pretty good... have fun.

My tolerance in through the roof. I felt a tiny buzz but not enough. I'm going to double or triple the dose tomorrow and see if that's better. It was 3 grams of hash total so I would hope it would make 3 doses. Tonight's test was only about 1/3 of a dose so I didn't really expect much. I figure a tablespoon is a dose. That should equal about a gram of hash worth.

I just ate the oil tonight. I wonder if it's better to incorporate it into cupcakes or brownies. I may bake a couple cupcakes with the rest to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips.

Did u decarboxylate? Supposedly heat turns into the THCA into usable THC. I have found if I don't cook my brownies long enough, the potentcy is lower. I have even re-baked and found the brownies are stronger. I would say try using it to bake with.

Yes, I decarb'd first. But, I also think you are right about longer being better. I'll bake some cupcakes tomorrow.

Thanks again

Well, I'm going to give it another shot today.

I took 8 grams of low grade bubble and dry sift and decarbed it in the oven at 240F for 40 minutes.

I melted down 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) of coconut oil and added the 8 grams of hash and sift.

I have it in a small double boiler right now and I am going to cook it just like it is for a while (no water added).

However, I have always added water to the mix and then let it separate after cooking.

Has anyone ever cooked the butter/oil without adding water?

I'll let it go like this for a few hours and then and then, maybe add a cup or 2 of water and let it cook the rest of the day. We'll see.

This should make about 12 cupcakes. That's about 2/3 gram in each cupcake. Hopefully, I will get off on 2.

In the past, I have always squeezed the butter through a 90 micron silkscreen cloth but today I think I'm going to try a Buchner or Hirsch Funnel and a vacuum. I saw Skunkpharm do it that way and it looked pretty cool.

Couple observations.

With the double boiler method that I am using today, the water is boiling and, therefore, about 212F but the canna mixture itself stays at about 190F. I usually cook it (crockpot or stovetop) at about 220F.

Also, with the stovetop/crockpot method where I add water to the canna mix, the entire mixture boils and bubbles and it seems like that would agitate the hash a lot more, resulting in a better extraction. Seems logical.

i must admit, mine does boil/simmer too. i have read that it should not but i have good results. hope your experiment goes well, hackerman. i am on my 2nd brownie of the day but i got up early...

I switched over to the stove top method.

I added 1 1/2 cups of water to the canna oil and it's on the stove top on low.

The mixture is simmering nicely at about 210F - 220F. I'll let it do that all day, adding a little water now and then. I have the container covered so not all the water evaps out. Some time tonight, I'll take it off and put it in the fridge to settle.

I am hoping that will extract most of the cannabanoids.

Latest posts

Back