gro-kashi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck, what are some of the other things I can use? Can I mix the carriers...say like some wood shavings, some bran meal, some kelp meal, etc? I do have wood shavings--been planing some pieces of (well aged) pine to make a butcher block top for an island. And I usually can get chips from chain saw leavings. I thought that I had read somewhere that wood chips were not as good as a lot of other things. I will be in the big city tomorrow or Thursday and could get some wheat bran....but don't really want 50# of it.

if your chain saw is dull ,you will get saw dust instead of chips. lol. but a 40 pound bag of wheat bran is only 15 dollars. I have a bunch left. it will keep if kept dry.. A lifetime supply. I would call ahead ,everyone does not carry it. Save a lot of driving.

Where did you get your wheat bran bozzo? I hate to drive all over town looking for things.

the grain and feed store. or grain elevator.

I would not use chainsaw chips, I am not sure what the bar oil would do.

Like Bozzo mention grain elevator.
Rice hulls and I would imagine shredded newspaper would work too. I would not use kelp kinda expensive. Newspapers I would just spray the AEM, don't want a gooy mess. Something some what inert but absorbs water. Vermicilite would probably work also.

Like Duck mentioned, the rice hulls or the wheat bran. In my area, the wheat bran is much easier to source and the same $15/40# bag. Rice hulls are from the brew shop and a bit more expensive.

I would sorta avoid wood chips. They don't absorb liquid all that well and a lot heavier to boot.

When I mentioned the alfalfa and kelp meals, I just added some to the wheat bran. Like a couple of handfuls to a batch of bran.

The wheat bran for sure would be the best bet for your first attempt.

Wet

We are in farming country. I will look at a feed store when I go to town. Thanks. I'll have more questions as I go on. Plasma--didn't mean to monopolize this thread. Would you like me to start another one?

They would eat the bar oil. Wouldn't they. Everything I read says they do and its an environmental use application of sane product.

Latest posts

Back