gro-kashi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grokashi =Bokashi. sounds like they are making it at home. plenty of u tube stuff.
First you buy a quart of EM-1 Then I mixed the quart in 5 gallon wine jug added 1 quart of molasses and warm water. ferment for 2 weeks and you have 5 gallons of concentrated em-1. Then buy a 40 pound bag of rice or wheat bran. mix some concentrate with more molasses and water. enough to get brand wet. Put into a tub with plastic bag liner squeeze air out and seal for 2 weeks. After fermentation its ready. use wet fresh .Dry out the rest in the sun, so it does not mold. You have now made 40 pounds of Bokashi and enough EM-1 for the whole year for 50 dollars.
and it is fun making it.
put some in ground when planting and spray plants all summer.
or buy a little bag on line for $15 . enough for 1 plant.
EM-1 29 dollars delivered free. EBay, wheat bran $15. grain elevator. 5 gallon carboy 2 dollars at yard sale. molasses 8 dollars a gallon. GFS

It just hit me if its chunks about the size of a small pea they are using rice pellets . I almost did that. You do not want the pellets. Get wheat bran flakes not pellets. the flakes soak up the em better. it's used for horse feed so the make pellets out of the bran. not the right kind.

First you buy a quart of EM-1 Then I mixed the quart in 5 gallon wine jug added 1 quart of molasses and warm water. ferment for 2 weeks and you have 5 gallons of concentrated em-1.

What you have brewed is AEM and not a concentrated EM-1.
Also brewing time is dependent on temperature and not just the amount of time.

So, Grokashi and Bokashi are the same thing? Currently reading up on Bokashi. Duck I will be PMing you as I get into this more. Going to be moving to Oregon before the end of the year and then I can get serious and not have to worry all the time about being illegal. I will want to be ready for an outdoor organic grow and most of this stuff takes time.

Good luck THG. Sounds like an awesome move. My Wife said Oregon is beautiful.

I actually love Idaho and would love to stay here if they were not so....backwards. But I truly believe that I will die before Idaho legalizes MMJ.

I am not an expert. how about concentrated AEM. because you dilute it again when using it. and yes it has to be in as warm area.

I actually love Idaho and would love to stay here if they were not so....backwards. But I truly believe that I will die before Idaho legalizes MMJ.
Same way i feel about Redneck *** Texas. Lol

Been reading up on Bokashi. Bozzo, what you are describing is the Bokashi Bran (where the EM grow), not Bokashi, which I take to be the finished product. Bokashi=fermented organic waste.

It is quite interesting that you can do this with pet waste, too, for ornamental plants.

Bozzo, I know nothing about AEM--will check it out. I just want to get better with this organic stuff, but still struggle to know what my plants want or are lacking when they are not happy.

like I said. I am no expert. All I know is my pot plants and tomato's have never looked this good. And the only thing I did different was put some of that AEM bran in my holes and spray some on every week. As advised by Umbra. He and Duck are the experts.
Some people drink the stuff for a probiotic. Some add to compost pile. It speeds up the decay time. One post said add to hydro reservoir cleans out the crud. It's pretty amazing stuff.
All the grow stores sell micro stuff for 30 dollars a jar. I decided to try making it .I would go broke if I shopped at them stores.
Wheat bran not waste. They feed it to horses. that's why you put it in a tub sealed up ,so it will ferment.

I take that back. I did not make the starter....but you can

plants need less nutrients also

THG u blew my mind when you said pet waste.. That is amazing that it can turn potentially toxic waste into food for plants. Wow.

"Can I use Bokashi culture mix to get rid of my pet's droppings?

Yes. We do not recommend using Bokashi fermentation to process animal feces because there is a small risk that organisms in the feces if then processed and placed in a vegetable garden could cause problems. If you are going to process that material and place it in the ground for ornamental plants, it will work well and get rid of the odors and mess that can be hard to otherwise handle. You should mix the feces with other plant material, leaves, or wood chips so that the Bokashi culture mix has a rich amount of material to process. Then after fermentation bury it in the ground covering it with about 8 inches of soil. "

**That pdf is GREAT, thanks pcduck!**

I forgot one use. people spray AEM on their dogs .....Gets rid of the dog smell. same with pee spots. So they say LOL

I forgot one use. people spray AEM on their dogs .....Gets rid of the dog smell. same with pee spots. So they say LOL

My dog got a hold of a skunk. I grabbed my handy spray bottle of AEM. Within 10 minutes the smell was gone:)

They also use AEM on oil spills.

Been reading up on Bokashi. Bozzo, what you are describing is the Bokashi Bran (where the EM grow), not Bokashi, which I take to be the finished product. Bokashi=fermented organic waste.

It is quite interesting that you can do this with pet waste, too, for ornamental plants.

Bozzo, I know nothing about AEM--will check it out. I just want to get better with this organic stuff, but still struggle to know what my plants want or are lacking when they are not happy.

Correct with the bokashi bran/bokashi.

Just don't get real hung up on the semantics, it's all just different forms of the very same thing. Think dry yeast vs liquid yeast vs starter dough, if you bake.

The EM-1concentrate or AEM (expanded EM-1), or the bokashi bran will all get you to the same place, just at slightly different speeds and methods of application. It's all the same microbes.

I really like the bokashi bran (think dry yeast), because it's so easy to toss a handful into my worm bins, add to my soil mixes, or just sprinkle it around. You can also make a *blend*, like adding some alfalfa meal and/or kelp meal to the wheat bran. Dry it well and seal it well and the stuff lasts for years, or so it seems.

I do wish they offered smaller amounts of the concentrate, like an 8oz size. I mean, enough AEM for a 40# bag of wheat bran only requires ~4oz of the concentrate. This is just going by memory, but I do remember that close to 1/2 of the Qt of concentrate expired after I had made and used a boatload of the stuff. I am just now coming to the end of all the bran I made back in 2010 (2-40# bags worth).

I'll order some when the temps drop a bit for shippinng. Like in Sept or so, but before it freezes.

Wet

add yeast food to it ,it will just keep growing. a wine maker friend said at least. I heard of one bakery that has been using the culture of yeast for generations. they toss the scrapes in a bin and brew a new batch.

Correct with the bokashi bran/bokashi.

Just don't get real hung up on the semantics, it's all just different forms of the very same thing. Think dry yeast vs liquid yeast vs starter dough, if you bake.

The EM-1concentrate or AEM (expanded EM-1), or the bokashi bran will all get you to the same place, just at slightly different speeds and methods of application. It's all the same microbes.

I really like the bokashi bran (think dry yeast), because it's so easy to toss a handful into my worm bins, add to my soil mixes, or just sprinkle it around. You can also make a *blend*, like adding some alfalfa meal and/or kelp meal to the wheat bran. Dry it well and seal it well and the stuff lasts for years, or so it seems.

I do wish they offered smaller amounts of the concentrate, like an 8oz size. I mean, enough AEM for a 40# bag of wheat bran only requires ~4oz of the concentrate. This is just going by memory, but I do remember that close to 1/2 of the Qt of concentrate expired after I had made and used a boatload of the stuff. I am just now coming to the end of all the bran I made back in 2010 (2-40# bags worth).

I'll order some when the temps drop a bit for shippinng. Like in Sept or so, but before it freezes.

Wet

Trying not to get bogged down with semetics, just trying to understand. My understanding is that Bokashi is what you get when you use Bokashi bran and kitchen waste (bokashi meaning literally fermented organic waste). The bran with its EMs is the "catalyst"--kind of like sourdough starter?

When you speak of concentrate, I assume that you are speaking of liquid EM1 that you can buy? I will probably start out with a bag of premade Bokashi bran and then, like you, make up a big batch with wheat bran, molasses and EM. I do see that Amazon has a 12 oz size of EM1, but that is the smallest quantity I found. However, there are a myriad of uses for it.

Thanks for the clarifications.

THG the bran is just the carrier for the AEM. Many things can be used. Such as wood shavings.

Latest posts

Back