ADVISORY !!! MG soil and storebought soil with NUTES in it !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingstoned77

Puff Puff PASS!!!
Reaction score
i would like to advise anyone who is looking to start growing for the first time or who needs to buy soil quickly to stay away from store bought soils that have nutes in it allready .Miracle grow , expert grow , Scott's ...etc...... like the ones that say on the BAG feeds for 3 months or feeds upto 9 months . These are great soils for house plants , but IMO not for MJ . these nutes and the soil is designed for hearty houseplants and people who dont pay any attention to them .they can water it once in awhile and it releases the nute to the plant and little attention is required , but for MJ these soils tend to burn the hell out of your plant . I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY TOO!!! MJ growers ( like me ) look at thier plants and tend to them DAILY . i see so many people on here ( myself included ) asking why the leaves are yellow or why spots ? these soils were not meant for us , plain and simple . we can not control the ratio of nutes or when they are released . The nutes seems to build up in the soil leaving deposits too and causing Ph problems . i would suggest spending the few extra dollars and getting a better QUALITY soil , perhaps organic , and stay away from the ones with nutes in them . A good idea may be to go to your local NURSERY and ask for a few bags , or a small truckload of thier top soil . This of course just my opinion and is based on my experience and my experience ONLY . I am making this post to try and help any future grower that may be deciding to go down this road . i hope this helps and i'm sure people like STONEY , DL , and others could expand on this . if these soils are avoided i think the end result will be better . And nute schedules could be better figured out .

PEACE:D

coo thnx or the tips, but yeah i stick to nute free soil and add my organics later

I dont understand im sorry. I dont use MG soil, i use some organic soil from my nursery, but as far as nutes i do use MG plant food and bloom boost, with St mixed in. I used to grow outdoor, and yeah i would use MG maby once or twice a week. And every year i would be cutting down 9 foot tll plants with fat colas all over them. I just started growing indoors, just about done with one crop and already started another 3 weeks ago. I have been using MG nutes on all my plants and if you could see my new babies i dont think you would have a prob with the nutes. Its so weird cus i hear so many people saying MG sucks, but i have never had a problem with it, maby cus i use organic soil, who knows.

Growing good grass is all about doing what works for you... I have no thoughts pertaining to premixed, slow release soil mixes as I, personally, have never used them. I do believe they are for the grower that likes to not have to worry about their crop too much. Just water, sit back, and watch them grow. But, the real master of these slow release soils on this forum is TBG. I am sure he could talk to you all day about the pros and cons of using MG soils.

Rocker420 said:
I dont understand im sorry. I dont use MG soil, i use some organic soil from my nursery, but as far as nutes i do use MG plant food and bloom boost, with St mixed in. I used to grow outdoor, and yeah i would use MG maby once or twice a week. And every year i would be cutting down 9 foot tll plants with fat colas all over them. I just started growing indoors, just about done with one crop and already started another 3 weeks ago. I have been using MG nutes on all my plants and if you could see my new babies i dont think you would have a prob with the nutes. Its so weird cus i hear so many people saying MG sucks, but i have never had a problem with it, maby cus i use organic soil, who knows.

I'm not saying to NOT USE MG nutes . sorry for the confusion . any nute in a controlled usage would be good . i have used the MG nutes but since MG is aimed towards veggies and not MJ i always DILUTE it to 1/8 or 1/4 strength to be safe . but adding this or any other nute to soil that already has nutes in it is "dangerous" . i learned this the hard way .i just meant that soil that has it already in it , is unable to be controlled . with beginners this may be a BAD idea .* of course this is just my opinion and i'm sure several experienced growers could prove me wrong .
i am still a rookie but have learned alot so far . i just want to make some beginners aware of the trouble they may run into . and when they see problems arise , they cant figure it out . you can't control the release of a nute you know nothing about or do not know the amount that is in the soil . i made this post as precautionary advisory , that ( you could have trouble with it ) thats all . ANY grower should do what works for them and thier situation . Thanks for viewing this post folks !! i love this FORUM !!

PEACE

Here ya go rollingstoned77. Everything you see in the link i provided was grown in Miracle-Gro soil that feeds plants up to 3 months. We don't give them any nutes at all until week 3 of flower and then we use Fox Farm nutes. ;) We have even done full grows in MG soil that feeds plants up to 3 months without adding any other nutes. That is also in the link i provided. ;) http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3620

i have to agree with TBG here. we have always used MG organic choice potting soil (feeds for 3 months)with no problems. the occasional PH adjustment here and there and beautiful fat buds appear :) the only yellowing leaves i get is when i accidentaly water too much or when the plant is a bit too bushy for the lower leaves to get proper light. bottom line, yes, making your own soil mixture is best but MG soils work just as well for many of us :D
MamaG

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Here ya go rollingstoned77. Everything you see in the link i provided was grown in Miracle-Gro soil that feeds plants up to 3 months. We don't give them any nutes at all until week 3 of flower and then we use Fox Farm nutes. ;) We have even done full grows in MG soil that feeds plants up to 3 months without adding any other nutes. That is also in the link i provided. ;)
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3620http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3620http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3620

I have seen your grows and very much respect you and your abilities . You blow me away , and i have learned alot reading your posts . sad to see less pics from you too !! bummer:confused:

Tho i am not only commenting on MG soil alone , there are alot of other soils out there with nutes in them . Scott's brand , Expert Grower , etc... all available at walmart or lowe's .I just know myself when i started , and other beginner growers go out an buy the first cheapest thing they see . and then can't resist adding additional nutes and other things to SPEED up thier grow or get bigger plants and buds. YOU , yourself said you wait till week 3 of flower to add nutes , so if you vegge for 8 weeks , that is the 3 month window that MG soil gives you on the bag , so i can see how that works for you !
AGAIN this was just what i learned from my experience and have seen from quite a few others on here , so i made this post as a advisory or a piece of info for new growers , beginners , rookies, etc... to maybe help them from making a mistake that i made as a rookie . THO i am glad i made this mistake out of the gate , and on bagseed , also this has pushed me STRONGLY towards organic !!!
thanks for reading my stoner rants . i appreciate it !!! LOL

PEACE :D

yeah myself used miracle grow for the soil with 3 month food in it but I didn't use any store bought nutes until all the little food pellet things were good and gone so I didn't burn my plants that way.

I used MG with my first attempt at growing and did NOT get very good results with it. But, since I've changed the lighting, and the way I planted, I'm having excellent results with it so far! My plants are a week and a day or two old and they are now starting (as of this morning) to show their second set of veg leaves. They don't look like babies anymore! LOL!

Anyway, the point is I think it's all in how you use it. Of course if you just plant them and let them sit nothings gonna happen (well, it might, but not what you want). And of course people, please, if you use MG or another nutrient rich soil PLEASE don't add nutes to that mixture. It just makes it worse.

~Metalchick

rollingstoned77 said:
[/color][/b]

I have seen your grows and very much respect you and your abilities . You blow me away , and i have learned alot reading your posts . sad to see less pics from you too !! bummer:confused:

Tho i am not only commenting on MG soil alone , there are alot of other soils out there with nutes in them . Scott's brand , Expert Grower , etc... all available at walmart or lowe's .I just know myself when i started , and other beginner growers go out an buy the first cheapest thing they see . and then can't resist adding additional nutes and other things to SPEED up thier grow or get bigger plants and buds. YOU , yourself said you wait till week 3 of flower to add nutes , so if you vegge for 8 weeks , that is the 3 month window that MG soil gives you on the bag , so i can see how that works for you !
AGAIN this was just what i learned from my experience and have seen from quite a few others on here , so i made this post as a advisory or a piece of info for new growers , beginners , rookies, etc... to maybe help them from making a mistake that i made as a rookie . THO i am glad i made this mistake out of the gate , and on bagseed , also this has pushed me STRONGLY towards organic !!!
thanks for reading my stoner rants . i appreciate it !!! LOL

PEACE :D
It's all good mang. ;)

i`m in a bit of a pickle now myself with this MG moisture control compost. i transplanted into MG 2 weeks b4 flower and now, 3 weeks into flower my gals have rust coloured patches coming from the centre of the leaf and spreading out. they are a good 5 ft and look healthy with no burnt tips or anything.
i`ve posted in the sick section and all i have had is being told to get them out of the MG soil. but as i`m in 3 gallon pots, would i need to go to 5 gal to transplant, or is there another way to sort this? sorry for bouncing in on this post but i need help, and as your all talking about MG soil, it seems a good place to get some answers. or solutions.

Never had a problem with them. The problem is everyone saying use this or use that and the new grower wants to try out different things. You just have to learn how to read your plants. Learn to tell when you are over or underwatering, over or under fertilizing, etc..

My opinion on MG as a first time grower is USE IT if you wanna learn about growing, maybe not the easiest to start with, but from everything i have learned MJ isnt the easiest plant to grow either, and while using MG i learned a whole lot as a first time grower and dude I experimented with my plants on all types of environments and surroundings, ill be updating my journal and you can see how good my plants are doing on their third month. Since then i switched to Organic MG and added permalite plus sand,for my second grow and clones, ill let you guys know how that goes in flowering.

So if you want the easiest way to grow MJ, then MG might not be the soil for you..

It's me, one of the new growers trying everything!
I have been a big user of MG (my husband calls it my "Blue Kool-Aid") on my huge outdoor non-MJ garden for 8 years, and had some of the MG soil on hand as I started my first grow, mostly hydro.
So far so good, but the advice about not adding nutes may save these babies, as I probably would have if I hadn't read this!

Mj1.jpg

mj2.jpg

MergeLeft said:
It's me, one of the new growers trying everything!
I have been a big user of MG (my husband calls it my "Blue Kool-Aid") on my huge outdoor non-MJ garden for 8 years, and had some of the MG soil on hand as I started my first grow, mostly hydro.
So far so good, but the advice about not adding nutes may save these babies, as I probably would have if I hadn't read this!

IF i helped to potentially save this one grow or any other by posting this thread , i will be happy .those are 2 very nice looking plants ! keep up the good work !!!!

PEACE:D

Im new to this stuff, i just need to know am i doing this right or not.....this is my old fashin inddor setup....hope you heads like.:)

fam2 004.JPG

fam2 005.JPG

fam2 008.JPG

fam2 009.JPG

fam2 010.JPG

Latest posts

Back