Growing Marijuana Forum

Bud of the Month, Grass Monkey - Photo by Kraven!
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > Harvesting - Drying & Curing
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Lesso
Mad Scientist

Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso Lesso
Default Staggered Harvests

I have noticed that some of you take partial harvests by taking the tops and letting the undergrowth mature for a bit. I have an auto that im chopping next week and i was wondering.....is that done to let the trichomes mature or do the lowers fatten up a bit more?
I have looked at the trichs on my plant and sure enough the buds closest to the light are cloudy and the lowers are clear.
Lesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
Rosebud
Organic dirt farmer

Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud Rosebud

I know nothing about autos but I used to take the top half of a plant and let that bottom mature for a couple of weeks. Depending on the strain. It worked well.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.

2016 Grow:http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=73244

Rick Simpson oil done with Everclear thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=66245
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #3
Lesso
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I know nothing about autos but I used to take the top half of a plant and let that bottom mature for a couple of weeks. Depending on the strain. It worked well.
Did you see an increase in yield or potency?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Hushpuppy
Dr MadBud

Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy

I tried it with a couple of autos and I believe it did a little better. I do it very regular with regular sexed plants and I get some amount of improvement in both bud size and trichome ripeness. How much improvement greatly depends on the strain though, I think. Autos will typically not do as well because they have the time limit that is set by the auto trait.
Don't fear the Drift TGC#2112

Blueberry punch
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=57271
Stealth cabinet grow
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...389#post745389

Pup's new stealth closet
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=70037
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Hushpuppy
Dr MadBud

Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy Hushpuppy

I do this because I have a small space for flowering. By keeping my plants healthy up to the first cut, I can allow the plants to go another week or 2 depending on the plants and the amount of lower plant bud growth I have. I never try to continue to grow/flower the smaller "sucker buds" on the lower/heavy stems and trunk of the plants as these would take too long to get anything out of them. I divide my plants into 3 sections. The bottom 3rd of the plant is mostly stems and trunk with small sucker growth. I remove and toss all of this material and only harvest the top 2/3 of the plants.
Don't fear the Drift TGC#2112

Blueberry punch
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=57271
Stealth cabinet grow
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...389#post745389

Pup's new stealth closet
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=70037
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
HippyInEngland
Smoke Free Zone.

HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland HippyInEngland

Give an Auto as much light as you have without burning it.

24hr from week 2.

When the top is ready, the whole plant is ready, top 1/3 will give you it most potency, you then have 2 choices, keep the lower buds as reserve lower hit smokes or use them for cooking with making them into butter or saving lots of them and making butane oil.

I'm the key holder in my own prison.

Talking to myself again I found myself doing,
It's a bad habit they say,
I asked, who is they?
They said it's a bad habit.
I said ok and left.

HippyInEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #7
Lesso
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpuppy View Post
I do this because I have a small space for flowering. By keeping my plants healthy up to the first cut, I can allow the plants to go another week or 2 depending on the plants and the amount of lower plant bud growth I have. I never try to continue to grow/flower the smaller "sucker buds" on the lower/heavy stems and trunk of the plants as these would take too long to get anything out of them. I divide my plants into 3 sections. The bottom 3rd of the plant is mostly stems and trunk with small sucker growth. I remove and toss all of this material and only harvest the top 2/3 of the plants.
Very informative. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #8
Lesso
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyInEngland View Post
Give an Auto as much light as you have without burning it.

24hr from week 2.

When the top is ready, the whole plant is ready, top 1/3 will give you it most potency, you then have 2 choices, keep the lower buds as reserve lower hit smokes or use them for cooking with making them into butter or saving lots of them and making butane oil.

Yeah they get 24 hours of light. Im probably going to take the whole plant down.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
orangesunshine
Drama Free

orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine orangesunshine
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpuppy View Post
you might try removing that lower 1/3 of larf/suckerbuds, stems and lower branches at your flip to 12/12 and use it for clones---lighting intensity and penetration is at it's weakest at the bottom of the plant because it's furthest away from the light and eventually become shaded from the tops---if you do this you would allow all the plants energy to focus on flowering the top 2/3 and will give you larger flowers/tops in the end---imo it's all about the canopy and re-focusing the plants energy to grow the portion of the plant that is most desireable---in a perfect world according to me---i want the top 2 feet to be dense enough to provide complete shade on my buckets

BHC #448
orangesunshine is offline   Reply With Quote