Lena first time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenaV

Reaction score
Hi. Lena here. I'm a first time grower and need some help. I'm at day 25 of the seedling stage and they have not grown for the last 10 days. A few are starting to turn yellow and one has burnt tips.

My room is the size of a closet approx 4'x11'. I'm using Fluorescent lights. The tops of the plants are 18 inches from light. They are in black 1 gallon plastic pots. I have 6 seedlings 3 are white widow and 3 blueberry. I started them from seed. I'm only giving them distilled water no nutrients. I'm using promix soil (high porosity growing). I have a small oscillating fan on medium 24/7. The lights are on 18/6. The humidity is around 60%. The room temp is around 76. (At first I was having a hard time with consistent temp. Especially when light was off. I had to put in a small space heater to help. Some nights it got as low as 58). I'm not sure why they are yellowing. And pushing 4 weeks now and should be close to the veg stage but they are not growing. I'll also post pictures.

Hello lena, welcome. You can get the light closer, 18 inches is too far. Test ur ph if u can and waiting your picturessss!

When what do you plan on feeding them and how often are you watering them?

Hey, welcome...Sounds to me like they need some nutrients not sure why one would have burnt tips though. But if your not feeding them that would explain yellowing leaves, they need nitrogen.....At day 25 veg I would be watering with some nutrients at this point, are you considering feeding them?

Lena, you really need to both lower the light (s) and make your space smaller--especially if you are using fluoros. Right now, without reflective sidewalls around your grow, the light is disbursing throughout your entire space and the plants are getting very little light, especially with the light so far away. I keep my T5 fluorescent tube lighting a couple of inches away from the tops of the plants.

What nutrients did you give them and how much? Non-organic nutrients will kill the good microbes in your soil.

If that is the soil she is using, it is non organic with nutes already in it. That is what the label says.

So is that what I did wrong? Starting them in soil with nutes in it? If so, what should I do?

they look to me more hungry than burnt, but with the soil contains nutes, i would say it is a 50/50... why not flush them out really well with plein water then with low strength ferts? you can try the dutch bucket by placing it say 10 miunutes in water then 5 minutes in 1/3 strength let it drain well

Get your temps up is the first thing I do.

I am not familiar with your soil. I do not use soil with ferts and moisture control already in it.

Lena - next time try and start your seedlings in jiffy organic seed starting mix or something with no moisture control or nutrients added. Your seedlings will be fine for 2 weeks, never "feed" seedlings anything but water, or super diluted worm casting/mychorizzae tea. But just water, first 2 weeks. (Been growing from seed since I was a kid, 52 now and I don't ever lose a seedling, on a project now germinating seeds from the early to mid sixties to just around 1986 just after the first seedbanks started operating, to bring some oldies back to modern times)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Yes I would have. I inherited all my equipment including soil and nutrients from my father in-law. The soil came in a tote, and all other ingredients were organic so I assumed it was until I seen issues and asked him what kind of soil it was. Thank you for your help. Should I continue to use it throughout the rest of the cycle?

Question for future reference so after the seedlings first 2 weeks then I feed them? I've been doing so much reading and research that I'm confusing myself and I really want to succeed at this.

Hello Lena, and welcome. I cannot help you much, I use an organic soil. The best thing to help you is to make sure you keep an open mind and listen to the advice given here. It's amazing how much there is to learn!!!!! I started my first grow last year. And thses folks here are the only reason I didn't kill all my plants. Good luck to you.

Yes I would have. I inherited all my equipment including soil and nutrients from my father in-law. The soil came in a tote, and all other ingredients were organic so I assumed it was until I seen issues and asked him what kind of soil it was. Thank you for your help. Should I continue to use it throughout the rest of the cycle?

Question for future reference so after the seedlings first 2 weeks then I feed them? I've been doing so much reading and research that I'm confusing myself and I really want to succeed at this.
Yes, after the first 2 weeks Then feed, and mild, at first. Keep it simple, and never try and "force" the plant with chemicals. What I do,after 2 weeks, is up pot, from my seedling starter cup to maybe a 1 gal grow bag, with ocean forest or similar, mixed with additional perlite for drainage. Cannabis loves dry roots, crazy because of how well it does with hydroponics, but soil and hydro are two different animals. I use either jiffy organic seed starting mix or, if available, light warrior seed starting mix. It's mychorizzae is superior to most, you'll get a big, full bunch of fishtailing roots as long as you remember to add at least 1/3 more perlite or rice hulls to the mix. And always, always let your plants "dry", more important for growth and filling in than you'll ever realize if you don't learn to water properly.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I noticed this thread is older. How are your plants doing? Many mistakes will happen as you learn. Don't be afraid of mistakes. They bring further knowledge. Do remember to take it slow. Enjoy every stage of growth. If you loose that enjoyment or sleep. You are doing to much to fast. We are here when you need us. Doing a grow journal at home can show you patterns and reviel mistakes. Daily entrys. It is great info for the next grow. You then see how long it takes for different cycles. Make a grow journal here as well. We then can help you. Pictures at different stages help us help you as well. Always enjoy the grow. You get stressed. Go slower at it.

Latest posts

Back