How To : "GERMINATE YOUR SEEDS"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HippyInEngland said:
Here i sit in amazement how cannabis has survived all these thousands of years on its own without someone to make sure her seeds fell to the ground the correct way up.

+1

i dont think it matters how u do it. I used the paper towel worked like a charm. when putting them in the dirt my hands were kinda shaking so they all ended up goin in the soil diff ways...some were tip down some were sideways. All of them, however, found there way out.

Helpful topic. I normally put my seeds in a glass of warm water. After about half a day to a day, they should sink and eventually crack.

Sweet I just did this. Time to wait and hope it works =D

I just soaked by rockwool cubes shook out some water and dropped em in. I put them in a grow tray with a dome and put them in my storage area. I have six out of eight about 1-2 inches out the top and i can see the last two about to break the surface. Now I just dont know what to do, wait til the last two come up and remove the dome, and add some light?

No, no, no....... its the little people, they do it ...I swear ! lol

i had tap root get stuck to paper towel. droping it in dirt works just fine. i might put my next seeds in paper towel until the seed cracks then drop it in a jiffycube I dont want to mess with it too much and i saw on here somewhere about the seed haveing fuel well I dont wan tto waste the fuel pluse once I have a mother I will just clone her. last grow that I started I planted about 52 bag seeds that was a lot of seeds in paper towel to sort through. i love growing pot its just awesome. it should be legal and once it is I will have about a dozen house plants...Im talking just letting thoes mofos grow lol

Capt. Skinx said:
Also, genetics of hemp seeds sends the tap root in a 180 degree turn upon popping, so always put your seeds in your grow medium TIP UP, as they will turn down naturally. I you face them tip down, it will have to turn twice and loose precious growing energy (vital during primary seedling development!)
Wow...I laughed out loud when I red that...I thought something weird was going on when I planted them tip down.

HI,

Thanks for the informative post Aplasia... With all due respect, IME marijuana seedlings do not require or benefit from any nutes until they are about 3 weeks old with 3-4 sets of leaves developing. Nature designed things so that the seed contains all the nutrients that the seedling requires for this period. They will tolerate organic amendments in the soil, but many strains will show slight nute burn if the mix gets a bit on the 'hot' side ie... FFOF soil... Most strains do fine in FFOF but I've seen several over the years that slow down and get slight nute burn if grown in their rich, organic soil. I like to use a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Foxfarm Light Warrior and I've never seen a seedling not thrive in this mix...

Over the years I've tried a little bit of everything to see if seedlings would benefit from product A or product B.... and the ONLY time I've ever had problems with unhappy seedlings is when I use anything on my nute bottle shelf...

Peace!:cool:

Happy Growing!:cool:

I am using indoors for veg, then trans outdoors in soil for flowering. My question is: If I germ. on/in a growth cube, should I leave the hydro/indoor medium cubes?..and, plant the root/cube combo??...or, should I hydro with a cube/soil combo? Further, if I use a sterile soil medium indoors, should I place some native soil at that bottom of the medium?..or, just stay with SuperSoil, and add some of that to the native dirt in the outdoor hole?

Well I’m on my first grow, so I know nothing. BUT! I soaked eight Root-Riot cubes in RO water, squeezed out excess water, popped in the seeds and misted the surface regularly. Five days later all eight had two cotyledon leaves and had shed the shell. It worked well for me so I’ll stick with that. :aok:

The best method ive tried and seen the most results was using cottonballs. All i did was wet the cottonball about 3/4 then put the seed on it and i wrapped the plate with surround wrap. out of 10 seeds about 6 sprouted.

Calbear,

I could be completely wrong, but from what know about horticulture in general, you are going to have all kinds of problems trying to switch from hydro to outside dirt. That is assuming you are going to grow bigger than a couple of inches or longer that a week or two the outside because very soon after that point you will have roots headed every where on the sides and bottoms of the block and you are going to stress the heck out of them planting them into dirt outside.

From what I've seen, read and heard in person, most outdoor growers will either germinate their seeds and immediately trans plant them into little pots of soil/dirt to harden and start their seedlings and then trans plant the well rooted seedling into the outside dirt, being as careful as possible to avoid damaging the roots or stressing the seedling, OR they will sprout the seeds directly into starter cubes like rockwool or oasis foam blocks or many of the commercial "rooting" plugs, then as soon as the plant is somewhere around 3" to 4" tall or 2 weeks old, then plant the starter medium directly into the small pot filled with soil and when they think they are ready, transplant them outside.

Whatever you do try to disturb the roots as little as possible! I would never try to remove a rooted seedling or clone from any medium except peralite!

If you clone or sprout in peralite, when it comes time to transplant, either into soil or into hydro, take your small pot full of peralite, submerge it in a deeper container of clean water just like you would use to water the seedling/clone until the top of the peralite is approximately an 1" below the surface of the water, then gently agitate the pot and watch the peralite begin to float out of the pot. Once you have dislodged as much of the peralite as will float out, continue to agitate the pot under water and GENTLY pull the seedling/rooted clone out of the pot and water filled outer container. Done carefully virtually all of the pearlite will come of of the roots and what little is left can just be buried in the soil or hydro medium along with the roots. (This technique was posted elsewhere by our friend Hick.)

Good smoking.

I personally use the paper towel method. Last Friday I started to germinate 5 seeds and within 2 days, 2 of them had sprouts over an inch long. I like to use this method because it will usually let you know which seeds are good. Good luck to all you growers

Pepe_Le_Dank said:
The best method ive tried and seen the most results was using cottonballs. All i did was wet the cottonball about 3/4 then put the seed on it and i wrapped the plate with surround wrap. out of 10 seeds about 6 sprouted.
I wouldn't call a germination rate of 6 out of 10 a success, exactly . . . 10 out of 10 would be more like it!

During germination, the marijuana seed awakens from its inactivity. Water is essential here, for as soon as the seed has absorbed a sufficient amount of water, the seedling begins to form its root system. Next it breaks through its shell. There are various possibilities for the process of germinating :
1]Presoaking
2]Sowing in the growing medium
3]Outside growing

I have no trouble germinating my seeds in paper towel it works fine . I usually put then about 1/4 inch under the soil and have had no problems either. Today looking at a friends his was germinated the same time as mine and they had the tap root showing he put them in the soil about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch down there is nothing showing where mine is up threw the soil 1 inch high . Is he in trouble ?

just one day in water overnight and the germination is done. isnt it?

Latest posts

Back