how to cure your meds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kathi97502 said:
hi there - I'm pretty new to this and I received my second and third plants from my grower about 10 days ago. They were really small plants. I got about 2 oz off each. I thought the buds had cured long enough and I moved them from jars to freezer baggies for storage and put them in back of my kitchen pantry. I checked them a few minutes ago and they have a bit of a "freshly mown lawn smell" Is that normal? or is it mold??:holysheep: thanks for any advice. Kathi

If you have a grassy smell, your buds are still real green, hanging upside down in a dark, dry environment should get all the stuff nature needs to grow a live plant like the chlorophylls and such (Im not scientist by any means!) out of the plant. Drying properly and curing takes time like listed above but ensures you get the full potential of the plant, taste, smell, buzz worthiness. I would put into brown paper bags again or if cannot wait throw a couple in dehydrator until the rest finishes properly.

good luck

Great information very helpfull what temp range for less mold problems?

what's wrong with storing bud in gallon size baggies? most of my buddies say that's how they store their stash. My problem is that first I noticed that my buds were getting so dry that they were crumbling into "shake" and losing "weight". Someone suggested putting orange peel in bag. I did that (and forgot I did until next day!) I then put mess into brown bag to dry it out again some. Now I am afraid there is some mold, but not sure due to orange smell! I sampled it and it taste great and got me up and scrubbing walls lol. Question is: what's wrong with storing in gallon baggie?? Thanks, Kathi

get a dehumidifier in your storage area to discourage mold

Kathie nothing is really wrong with storing in a freezer baggie, except every time you move your bag to get weed out it starts to break the drier buds into shake from the rubbing and crushing movement everytime you dig and move it around, the longer you cure it the better it will taste and smoke also dont think over nite with an orange peel and put into a paper bag the next day would give it time to mold i have done it with bread numerous times and never molded on me hope it didnt on you

all i do is dry in my dryer i made from the diy section.4-5 days.then into the mason jars.i take the buds out every morning to air,then straight back into the jars.so far so good.

Bag it until you can bend a big bud to the point where you can hear the stem crack inside of it. That varies depending on moisture in the bud and in the ambient air. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. If the stem will crack, it's dry enough for long-term storage in mason jars or whatever you prefer. That's a widely accepted test among growers.

Mason jars will stop the drying at the exact moisture level they had when you screwed the top shut. You should still open them for a few minutes a few times over the next month or so (because the buds still out-gas a little bit for a short while), then screw the lids down snug and forget about them till you have to re-fill your stash container. They will stay fresh for years in a sealed air-tight container.

I've read through the whole thread. Excellent information. My partner is harvesting, drying and trying to cure our crop.

What happens when you harvest a week or two early?

yesterday i harvested my tiny lady . I trimmed as much leafs as i could. I then hung it in my closet. I was wondering if i could cut the buds off the stem tommorrow and put them in my jar. The last time i harvested i just left them in my closet for 3 or 4 days and it was crispy dry. Will putting the buds in the jar stop this from happening again or am i missing a step thanks

J-NUEZES said:
whats the highest humidity can be in a box with airflow and 65 to 70 degrees. mine fluxuates from 32% to 40% humidity. i'm trying to get it no more than 35%. do you guys think that's still too high? i'm harvesting blueryder. some are fluffy and some are semi-dense. what do you think?--- http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39422&page=3

I dry in a small wooden box with a fan controlled by a hygrostat. The humidity in the box stays around 70% @ room temp. To get a higher humidity level, use an appropriate volume sized box for the amount you are drying.

hey guys, this thuresday im chopin my lady down, lowlife white russian., i already have a sample bud off drying in a small box with a hole cut in it for air circulation, than i place it outside in my weber grill at night with the vents open for air to circulate, its seems to be workin fine.. but what im wondering is, how do i properly seal a mason jar? do i need to stick it in hot water???? idk the directions on the back are REALLY confusing and for food,SO IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME OUT, id REALLY APRICIATE IT!!!! thanks guys n gals!!!....

..no... smoke'.. there is no need to vacuum seal it (hot water). "IMO".. Just make sure the lid has an undamaged, good rubber seal/ring, and snug it down well.

You don't really need the rubber seal you just need to maintain the desired rh%. If you guess at the moisture level with your fingers then you may need to use the gasket to seal to stop the water loss. If you use a hygrometer and monitor the moisture level the small amount of breathing the jar does can be regulated by adding drops of water on a paper towel or propylene gel.
Long term storage (months) you would need the seal to make it easier to maintain your rh level.

Placing in the grill????? You may pick up the trace odor or taste of the grill.

Reddy Kilowatt said:
You don't really need the rubber seal you just need to maintain the desired rh%. If you guess at the moisture level with your fingers then you may need to use the gasket to seal to stop the water loss. If you use a hygrometer and monitor the moisture level the small amount of breathing the jar does can be regulated by adding drops of water on a paper towel or propylene gel.
Long term storage (months) you would need the seal to make it easier to maintain your rh level.

Placing in the grill????? You may pick up the trace odor or taste of the grill.

MMMmMmM maybe itll taist like chicken, lol, iv smelled it n w.e still have very strong smell of fresh nature. no charcol smell of nuthin.and i thought you dont want any water in the jar since it would cause mold right?? so i dont really get wat ur sayin about the hygrometer and adding small drops of water.plus idont even know what that is lol.but yea someone told me mason is just for storing long periods of time.. so really i just need a jar wilth a good lid with good seal ring right?? n i burp it a few times a day...

bustabus said:
yesterday i harvested my tiny lady . I trimmed as much leafs as i could. I then hung it in my closet. I was wondering if i could cut the buds off the stem tommorrow and put them in my jar. The last time i harvested i just left them in my closet for 3 or 4 days and it was crispy dry. Will putting the buds in the jar stop this from happening again or am i missing a step thanks

are the buds dry n kinda crunchy.. remember(thanks to these friendly peopel on here) if u put wet/semi wet bud in a jar, ur askin for mold to grow.just hangem for 4-5 days, brown bag it if u want/have to. than jar it.I read somwhere the dryer you bud the more potent it is!!!! idk if thats true or not

Kathi97502 said:
what's wrong with storing bud in gallon size baggies? most of my buddies say that's how they store their stash. My problem is that first I noticed that my buds were getting so dry that they were crumbling into "shake" and losing "weight". Someone suggested putting orange peel in bag. I did that (and forgot I did until next day!) I then put mess into brown bag to dry it out again some. Now I am afraid there is some mold, but not sure due to orange smell! I sampled it and it taste great and got me up and scrubbing walls lol. Question is: what's wrong with storing in gallon baggie?? Thanks, Kathi
kathi next time u gots some dry bud, get a airtight container take a peice of bread/ or another nug thats wet and stickem in there, the next day the dry bud would have obsorded the moistur of the other one. :)

Any advice on harvesting in an extremely dry climate? We have about 7% relative humidity most of the time. Indoors, we have air conditioning and thus, also low humidity. So whether I hang them inside or out, the humidity is naturally very low. I do have a humidifier, and wondered if I should use it to up the humidity while curing.

Latest posts

Back