My First Grow Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoga

Reaction score
My first grow journal! I am hoping that with a little bit of care and support, my girls will turn out well and not an afterschool special.

So here is the situation. I have 2 strains. 3 plants Pure Power Plant (fem) and 2 Nirvana Special. Planted 5/3 sprouted between 5/5-5/7. 5 weeks and 3 days of veg. Growing in organic soil (very good local brand) with perlite and dolomite lime. I am using FF GB, BB, and TB. I did have them in 2 gal pots to try to keep size down and they just seemed miserable. Two days ago I transplanted into 3 gal grow bags (man, they take a lot of soil.) They are still a little drooping from the transplant, but seem to be liking it.

I have two grow spaces:
Grow Space #1: Has been for veg. It is 8ft tall x 4ft wide x 3ft deep. Running 900 Watts of CFL.

Grow Space #2: Was suppose to be for flower. My lowryders are still finishing up in there. 6 ft tall x 3 ft wide, 2 feet deep. 400 w HPS in a cool tube.

When I planted my girls I thought for sure that I could keep them small and managable and then put them into space #2 and it would be perfect. I had been pinching and fimming. After I transplanted to the grow bags I realized that I had one more plant than I had space. So I have decided that I will be having 2 or 3 under the HPS and will attempt to flower the others in space # 1 with the CFLs.

I planted them and at some point one night when I was sure I knew just what I was doing, I lost track of which was which during transplant. In the time before the journal I kept track of things but not that well. I am going to make an effort to do better. Three had some PH/Nute problems, but have been doing better.

Only one of the plants is named, Big Bertha. I would love input on names for the others and and who should get the HPS and who should get the CFLs.

I don't really take a good picture. But I will try to do better.

p.s. whoever was in charge of the ruler was high.

Pic #1 Unnamed lady.
Pic #2 Top view i liked.
Pic #3 A little bit runty. Unnamed.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Pic # 3 Unnamed lady
Pic #4 Unnamed lady
Pic #5 Bertha

Oh, they were vegged under 24/0 and then switched to 18/6 on 5/7. Bertha was moved under the HPS on 5/11 since there was no more room for her after the transplant to growbags.

010.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

SherwoodForest said:
They look bushy and nice, but why did you switch to 18/6?

Because my fan is a little on the loud side and there were going to be people in that area. I decided to go to 18/6 so they would be off. I was hoping to put them into flower sooner, so I didn't mind switching.

ArtVandolay said:
Real nice, Yoga. Which one did you sample :hubba:

I sampled my lowryders that are almost done. All of these girls are about to get put in flower. I so wish my lowryders would finish. I think I am going to have space issues. I always have issues.

Yesterday, I went to check on the girls and what do I see but a little moth making himself as home. So I told the moth "shoo, shoo little moth" (Sherri Lewis voice). And off he went. This morning I went to see the girls and opened them up and it was like a freakin Hitchcock movie. I hate moths. There were so many I threw up in my mouth a little. Ran to the computer and looked up moths (still freakin out) and see that someone else had the same problem. When asked what to do HIE responded Moth Balls. :doh: Yeah, didn't see that one coming. Got moth balls. Problem solved.

My scrog screen is built and I hope to start using it this weekend. I realize that I have no idea what I am doing (especially with the scog), but figured what the heck. I also keep trying to channel THG everynight, I figured it couldn't hurt.

I am still trying to figure out what I am doing with lights and placement of the plants, since they are in two different grow areas. Still talking to my husband...negotiations in progress.

Dear Diary,

I really don't want to screw this one up.

Thanks,
Yoga

I am very excited to try the scrog. It is a small screen setup, but was all that I had room for. I love the look of the buds coming through the screen and all of the undergrowth cleared out.

Yesterday, I cleared the undergrowth and added soil to the bags and watered and fed. They are now in their first day of 12/12, It feels monumental. Still trying to decide on names for these two.

So they are now under a 400 watt HPS.

These two (if I guessed right) are Nirvana Special.
Breeder: Nirvana Seeds Standard
Species: Sativa dominant
Environment: Indoor
Origin: N/A
Flowering Time: 60-65 days
Heritage: Jock Horror x Mexican f1 hybrid
Flavor: Sweet, sour
Aroma: Sweet, pungent
High: Energetic, uplifting, sativa
Other Info: Grows tall and lanky with many bud sites

I still have three others (PPP) that are still in veg. I'm just not ready for them yet. I wonder if there is ever going to come a time when I feel like I am not behind the 8-ball trying to get stuff done and plants moved. And buying stuff. Some of what I have is bought, some is built. I really wish that I would have really known what I wanted and gone out and bought it. But apparently I don't know what I want at all. And seem to want to buy new and better things for my grow all the time.

Various 006.JPG

Various 008.JPG

Various 011.JPG

They certainly look good. Nice work so far. How are the growbags working out for you? I've thought about using them before but I imagined nothing but problems with the bags.

Anyways, we would love to see some of your scrog pictures. I've always wanted to try it but never have as of yet. I know The Hemp Goddess has a good thread in the DIY section of the forums on scrog. Have you looked at it yet? I would if you haven't done so. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on the ladies. Take care and be safe.

smokybear said:
They certainly look good. Nice work so far. How are the growbags working out for you? I've thought about using them before but I imagined nothing but problems with the bags.

Thanks! The growbags take a lot more soil than I thought they would. They are kind of a pain, but I do like them. I like that I can roll the sides down, and as the plant gets bigger roll them up and add more soil. I only went with 3 gal due to my space limitations, and I think that the growbags will make the plants happier when they start to grow (I hope).

smokybear said:
Anyways, we would love to see some of your scrog pictures. I've always wanted to try it but never have as of yet. I know The Hemp Goddess has a good thread in the DIY section of the forums on scrog. Have you looked at it yet? I would if you haven't done so. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on the ladies. Take care and be safe.

I look at THG scrog grow a lot. The other flower room isn't set-up yet, I am waiting to see what my husband can come up with to improve my light situation. I have been looking into her dual 150 w cool tube. I have the pyrex coming and panda film. So hopefully I will have new pictures to put up soon of the new and improved grow spot.

Yeah, nice work! I hope you have better luck with your "Big Bertha" than I did. She turned out to be a Bert. I am having better luck with "Little Bertha". How about a slight name change to hopefully steer her down the right female road?
Bertha the Magnificent!

I have decided NOT to go with Bertha. I keep getting the mental picture of Chasity Bono as a truck driver. That is not the mental image I want when I think of my girls. I DO NOT want any of my plants to have sexual identity issues.

Right now I am just trying to name the two under the screen.

Here is what I have thought of so far...
Samantha and Jeannie (because I want some magic)

Tessie (Dropkick Murphys) and Nessie (Loch Ness) (the first is sung at the Big Green Monster and the second is a big green monster)

Marta and Vina (spoken in a bad German accent...I don't know why. They were the names of the green slave girls from Star Trek. Coincidentally, in an episode call 'The Cage')

yoga looks good. same screen i have. from dePOT & cut out 1x1 sq to make a 2x2. one question is how far a distance between tops of bags 2 bottom of screen? looks 2 be quite a distance, is this 2 get in there 2 water & prune. just wondering cause i only leave about 9" to work under there. keep it up.

docfishwrinkle said:
yoga looks good. same screen i have. from dePOT & cut out 1x1 sq to make a 2x2. one question is how far a distance between tops of bags 2 bottom of screen? looks 2 be quite a distance, is this 2 get in there 2 water & prune. just wondering cause i only leave about 9" to work under there. keep it up.

Doc, I went back and forth on the height of the screen A LOT. Just one of the silly things that I second and third guess myself on.

Okay, I was going to go with 8" because I really don't need that much room to get in there and get stuff done. But then 8" put the screen directly in front of the fan. So I decided to go up (of course) and it ended up taller. The more that I thought about it the more that I was okay with it. I read that sativas should have more like 10-12". I liked where it put the fan. And I have about some room to unroll growbags and add soil. But, I keep thinking I should still take 2" off the height.

I'm going to leave it and see what happens.

Dear Diary,

Why can't I just make up my mind? And why can't I take better pictures?

Yoga

Okay, so I went back on the scrog and took 1 1/2" off the height. Just because if I didn't it would drive me crazy. One has just started growing into the screen.

Various 017.JPG

Various 018.JPG

Various 021.JPG

Dear Diary,

SOOO HAPPY the house didn't burn down!

Yoga

My second grow space my husband has been building for me. The shell is aluminum. I have found that it helps with heat issues. It has a fan on the top and an intake fan on the bottom. I was running CFLs for vegging, but when I was ready to flower decided that I needed something else. My husband got a 400 W HPS industrial light and ballast at an auction. He rewired it and made a cooltube for it. The ballast is mounted on the outside of the box. A fan from a blowup Christmas snowman is attached to the cool tube. The next pictures I'll post will be the light and cooltube and girls inside.

Various 034.JPG

Various 024.JPG

Various 031.JPG

Dear Diary,

I love my box!

Yoga

11 days into flower. PPP. One is stretching a bit, and is a little on the scrawny side.

1. Light inside box
2. Plants inside box
3. Top of girls

Various 020.JPG

Various 021.JPG

Various 005.JPG

Latest posts

Back