Sexing the garden early, then putting back in veg.. opinions..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless999

Reaction score
Alright Ive heard some people say dont do it and some say do it.
What gives?
My plants were planted on the 4th and sprouted on the 6th.. I was planning on vegging these guys for a total time of 4-6weeks. Right now the 600mh is on 18hrs a day, I would cut it back to 12, throw out males of course, then back to 18hrs..

My question is, what are the pros and cons of doing this, and if I was to do this, at what point should I kick the lights back to 12 to find the males?

Cons are that it can make your plants turn hermie....

I have never put any plants into flower just to tell the sex, I can tell the sex around 6 weeks old, just be patient, if you have any questions grab a camera, there are many people here who will help you..

If you still cant tell then grow the plant big enough to clone, then put the clone in flower

I have heard that if you take a clone off each and put them on a separate cfl at 12 hours and label. That way the main plants don't stop growing. Find out the sex and cull males. Regeneration takes time. You may be into a four week battle if you turn the lights down then back up trying to get regen. Good luck.

Hi,

It really slows things down to do it that way and that's if the confusion and stress don't cause problems like mindzeye suggests... Switching back to veg mode always takes several weeks. They go back to square one and have to re-start the veg process and once that begins they produce single bladed leaves for a while, then 3 bladed leaves for a bit all the way up to 5 or 7 or 9 bladed leaves...

You'd do much better to grow them til they're ready to flower, then take and label a clone from each labelled plant to root and put aside as a potential mother plant in veg lighting. You do this to keep the strain going. After taking clones put them into flower. After you see which plants are male/female you can cull the males out and throw away the rooted clone you took from him. Flower the remaining females and at harvest time you can choose which plants you would like to keep around your garden based on potency, yield, ease of growing, etc...

Happy Growing!:cool:

how bout when ya reveg a harvested plant to flower again. do you wait for certain number bladed leaves as a rule of thumb time stamp when its prime to reflower a harvested revegged plant

dirtyolsouth said:
Hi,

It really slows things down to do it that way and that's if the confusion and stress don't cause problems like mindzeye suggests... Switching back to veg mode always takes several weeks. They go back to square one and have to re-start the veg process and once that begins they produce single bladed leaves for a while, then 3 bladed leaves for a bit all the way up to 5 or 7 or 9 bladed leaves...

You'd do much better to grow them til they're ready to flower, then take and label a clone from each labelled plant to root and put aside as a potential mother plant in veg lighting. You do this to keep the strain going. After taking clones put them into flower. After you see which plants are male/female you can cull the males out and throw away the rooted clone you took from him. Flower the remaining females and at harvest time you can choose which plants you would like to keep around your garden based on potency, yield, ease of growing, etc...

Happy Growing!:cool:
thanks buddy! this is my first grow, so its definitely my first clone/mum..
I plan to veg for 4-6 weeks, when do u think is a good time to take 2 clones from each plant?
Do you take the clones right before putting into flowering?
Which branches do you cut? just enough for like 3 or 4 branches right?

Relentless999 said:
thanks buddy! this is my first grow, so its definitely my first clone/mum..
I plan to veg for 4-6 weeks, when do u think is a good time to take 2 clones from each plant?
Do you take the clones right before putting into flowering?
Which branches do you cut? just enough for like 3 or 4 branches right?

Hi,

No worries, glad to help. Often the lower two branches make good clones on my seelings because I would probably take them off anyhow to give a little clearance from the ground to the plant for some air circulation around the soil. I'd wait until they are 4-6" long. I prefer to take my clones when the mother is vegging but they can be taken successfully early into flowering.

Here is a link to a Cloning in Soil Guide on MP... Check it out and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18056#post18056

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back