advice on calyx's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamey

Reaction score
My first crop is coming along nicely the buds are getting frosty with trichs. However there are a lot of single calyx's with a couple of hairs,pistils, a few that are beggining to amber?
Is this normal? should i be thinking about harvesting. you can see them in the photos i've posted.
Any advice would be so much appreciated.
I'm hoping they aren't ready as there are a lot of small single buds that look like they want to grow some more.
The cola's are not totally covered in trich's as I've seen in other photos.:confused:

IMGP0550.JPG

IMGP0549.JPG

IMGP0553.JPG

Hello Shamey :)

You have a young female there, how long has she been flowering?

She looks very healthy, congratulations on getting this far with a fine plant :)

:peace:

That plant looks Great but its got along way to go before harvest

how long has it been under 12-12 light scedule,
it looks like maybe 3 weeks you probably have awhile to go

Hey H.I,E. thanks very much. I have 8 actually, 4 from clones one of which is photo'd,in my first room, halide. they now are all under a 600 sodium. I think the ones I grew from seed are a couple of weeks behind. I must say I'm very proud,and paranoid about their wellbeing. how far off would you say they are and should i still be feeding them?

dman1234 said:
That plant looks Great but its got along way to go before harvest

how long has it been under 12-12 light scedule,
it looks like maybe 3 weeks you probably have awhile to go

Great news, will they still put on a bit of beef yet?

shamey said:
Great news, will they still put on a bit of beef yet?
Your right!!!! around three weeks, maybe 4, now I look at my calender and see where i was gigging when i put them under sodium. You have a good eye there my man. I however am not yet trained in the art of herbology.Though I hope to persue a credit on the subject. Thanks so much dudester.:)

They haven't been budding long, maybe 5 weeks more at least.

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Shamey :)

You have a young female there, how long has she been flowering?

She looks very healthy, congratulations on getting this far with a fine plant :)

should i still be feeding them with bio stuff from the hydro shop?

Any chance of a picture looking down on the plant from the top Shamey?

So we can see the whole plant.

shamey said:
should i still be feeding them with bio stuff from the hydro shop?

She needs a flowering feed.

What feed do you have?

Gorbals?

HI Shamey...

Nice plants! You've got a ways to go though. They look like they are an indica/sativa cross of some sort so my guess is they'll finish up at around 8-9 weeks of 12/12 lighting but they sure could go longer too... You have some really nice buds and colas started on your plants. All of the smaller buds will continue to grow and increase in size until they all grow together to form 'colas!' :hubba: Do you know what strain?

Your plants look really happy but I do see just a bit of nute burn on some leaf tips of the older leaves. You do want to keep feeding your plant and in weeks 4 and 5 you'll want to give them the target peak feeding strength. This isn't the rate you see on the bottle necessarily... The best thing to do is start at around 1/2 strength per bottle instructions and watch your plants new growth for any signs of nute burn/brown tips etc. If you don't see any nute burn you can slowly increase the strength by a slight amount until weeks 4 & 5 when you'll keep it at that peak strength and then you can slowly decrease feeding strength over weeks 6 & 7 and if your plant looks like it's going to finish around week 8 you'll want to just give it water for that final week before harvest to flush any built up nutes out of the soil and plant.

I like to alternate feeding nutes with feeds of plain water too. How much and often you give your plant nutes depends a lot on the quality of your soil and if the soil has any organic nute amendments in it already or if it has any time release ferts in it which is not desireable for growing marijuana. If you use an average potting soil with little or no nute value you'll need to feed your plants nutes more often and if your soil already is well amended you'll use bottled nutes less. With most store bought well amended soil I typically do a feed - water - water - feed - water - water etc. routine... If I use a less amended soil I'll alternate feed - water - feed - water etc... If you are in something like Coco with no nute value you'll need to find a nute level that keeps the plant happy and apply nutes with every watering... It all depends on what you're growing in... I use a very 'hot' well amended organic soil and I only use water most of the time. Every few weeks I'll give them Cal-Mag, humic/fulvic acid & Botanicare Sweet for carbos to keep my soil happy and a touch of Earth Juice Meta-K too... but you probably only need a decent bloom base nute like i.e. Bio Bloom and maybe a PK booster if you feel KRAZY...:p

Onward & Dankward!:cool:

No need to be getting your harvesting shears ready just yet....they hve more then a cpl weeks to go it looks like...

I just wanted to address your original thought that they may be getting ready because you had a couple of pistils turn amber. You really can't tell the ripeness of the plant by pistils. I know the old theory was that when 75% of the pistils had turned red or brown that the plant was ready. Really the most optimal way of checking ripeness is by checking your trichs with a scope. The trichs will tell you when your plant is finished. I like a 30% amber 70% cloudy...some like it the other way around with 70% amber...and some like a 50-50 ratio, it's all a matter of taste...more amber = more couchlock. less amber=more head high

I actually harvest in sections so that trich counts are all a little different to get different effects from the same plant.

If you don't have a scope or jewelers loop, you will want to get one in the next couple of weeks.

Your plants look nice and healthy but you still have a few weeks to go at least! Good Luck to you!

The leaves on my clones are starting to yellow is this normal.I must admit to having the plants too close getting a bit of burn on the tips, my light meter is just about at max for them all now and I'm much happier. i think to the 600 sodium is bout 18 to 24 inches from the bulb.I have however raised the light to the max as the 4 i grew from seed are in bigger pots hence bigger plants. I have 8 in total all looking fab part from the yellowing leaves on the clones which are 2 or 3 weeks further on, they were all veged on hals, 250 each at a good distance away from light then sode 600w do i have anything to worry about? I noticed a few fruit flies in there tonight. I sprayed the plants before lights out with a gentle bio soap. I hope to feck I've done the right thing as i've spent a LOT of time on these bambinos. i also moved the light so as my taller plants need a slight bend on them to receive the same light as the rest of my plants. I think I'm in for a bumper staggered crop. could you advise me weather i have to take the whole plant down or can i take buds off at the top of the plants that are bigger hence letting more light into the bottom ones? I know that a hundred and one questins and i'm sorry for you patience in reading this.Kindest regards shamey shambles

december 09 082-2.jpg

december 09 068-1.jpg

Hi Shamey...

If your leaves that are yellowing are on the lower leaves of the plants that are going on their 5th week of flowering that's normal. It's normal for large fan leaves that are down low and don't get much light to drop off the plant. Also, as the plant gets closer to harvest more and more fan leaves will yellow and drop off. Just leave them on until they drop off or come off with the slightest touch. A bit of funky looking leaf matter doesnt usually make any difference to your buds come harvest time... Especially since we don't tend to smoke the leaves... :p

Happy Growing!:cool:

Yes you can harvest a bit at a time...you can take the top, and then leave lower sites for longer...alot of folks harvest this way.

just dont wast all that nice bud they will put on weight still, quite a bit actually,

You need to get an eye piece and learn how to see the trichs, it is the only way to tell when they are ready, otherwise, you might have a lot of average quality smoke on your hands,

dont go threw all that hard work and ruin it by cutting to early.

Right on Dman! I think it is Soma that says if you think it is ready...wait a week.

RIGHT ON DUDES! got me a magnifier and some more bio heaven to go with my bio bloom. I stopped the bio heaven for arond a week as i ran out and am a bit far from my closest retaler,will this stress my bambinos? Had a good look tonight, the micoscope is junk compared to the hand held jobbie i got at the store. I noticed a few flies floating around in the room.I caught one and it was a little black fecker. I got some gnat stuff the shop too just in case. I did however mist my plants just before i put them to bed last night with a lightly diluted biodegradeable washing liquid. lightly diluted. I'm sure I got rid of most of them????? waste of £20? This site and all your help is the muts nuts.

Latest posts

Back