18 hrs to 14 hrs of light, and going outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizerd

Reaction score
If you have plants indoors on a 18/6 light cycle, and want to reduce to a 14/10 light cycle, how many minutes should the light cycle be shortened each day to ensure the plant does not flower.

If the plant is indoors on a 14/10 hour light cycle, and then taken directly outdoors for the suns 14/10 hour light cycle, will a week of indirect sun, be long enough to harden off the plant for transplant to the ground where it will get 4 to 5 hours of direct sun light?

:huh: :confused: why not just keep it on 18/6 till it's time to put it out? it will keep veggng and will grow more

zem said:
:huh: :confused: why not just keep it on 18/6 till it's time to put it out? it will keep veggng and will grow more
by going from 18 hours to 14 hours in one day, it could induce flowering

HI,

Yup it not only can but often does induce flowering if you put plants outside in the spring when they've been kept under 18+ hours of light ime. I don't know if there is any benefit to ramping down the day length or waiting and just transplanting them outdoors but I have given hundreds of spare clones vegged at 18/6 or 24/0 away to buddies who grow outdoors over the years. A big percentage of the clones do start to flower and then reveg and resume veg growth most of the time until August. Some clones never do reveg entirely and have very strange growth patterns. I think the best approach is to grow plants from seed for outdoors and keep the days around 14-15 hours. I have a buddy who starts his seeds for outdoors under 12/12 and around week 3 he increases the light by a week and again in week 4 by another week and then puts them outside usually the end of May depending on temps.

Happy Growing!:cool:

:yeahthat:

Hey Lizerd-

Certain strains will flower under a 14/10 schedule no matter how gradually you introduce it.

Any way you could take a clone and do a test run?

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back