help with first grow from seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learnin to gro

Reaction score
ok this is a long one any help would be greatly appreciated. alright starters im a carpenter and licensed electrician i have a 30" by 30 " by 54" setup painted flat white i was going to use equal parts peat moss, perlite, and soil i have organic fish type ferts of 5-1-1 for veggie stage ill have adequate ventilation(i assume 120cfms will be adequate) i have 15 randomly placed light sockets for cfls wired to a 20 amp breaker that i can put any amount of cfls in. i also purchased a 400 watt hps for veggie help and flowering ill have a oscillating fan for the plants and plan on trying LST. should i do this even though im going from seed. with the idea i might be promoting a male. i bought ferts for flowering from miracle grow sorry because i couldnt find organic locally its a 10-50-10 if its bad i will return and order online.will be germinating in 2 weeks so any help on preparing would be sweet. also grow room height is limited so that is partially why i bought white widow seeds from amsterdammarijuanaseed.com. because i believe they dont grow very tall.

learnin to gro said:
ok this is a long one any help would be greatly appreciated. alright starters im a carpenter and licensed electrician i have a 30" by 30 " by 54" setup painted flat white i was going to use equal parts peat moss, perlite, and soil i have organic fish type ferts of 5-1-1 for veggie stage ill have adequate ventilation(i assume 120cfms will be adequate) i have 15 randomly placed light sockets for cfls wired to a 20 amp breaker that i can put any amount of cfls in. i also purchased a 400 watt hps for veggie help and flowering ill have a oscillating fan for the plants and plan on trying LST. should i do this even though im going from seed. with the idea i might be promoting a male. i bought ferts for flowering from miracle grow sorry because i couldnt find organic locally its a 10-50-10 if its bad i will return and order online.will be germinating in 2 weeks so any help on preparing would be sweet. also grow room height is limited so that is partially why i bought white widow seeds from amsterdammarijuanaseed.com. because i believe they dont grow very tall.
Welcome to MP. Looks like your on your way to having a nice grow. I would use the cfl's for veg and the HPS for flower. Yes you can LST from seed i do it all the time. Get rid of the MG ferts and get yourself some Fox Farm Big Bloom for flower. As far as White Widow being a small growing strain it's not. If not taken care of they can get over 4 feet tall easy. We have 22 White Widow clones at the moment 6 weeks into flower that are all over 3 feet tall. As long as you LST you can keep them down.

thanks for the reply are the cfls going to be enough ive always been under the impression of the more light the better it will be 15 30 watts at 1800 lumens a piece also what color kelvin should i get 2700 seems to be the most common will i need co2 or could i live without it i ahve some tanks but not big ones and wow 3ft i didnt realize they got that big quickly at what height do you force flower the company i bought them from said to force flower at 18" if i wait will i get more yield or roughly the same

learnin to gro said:
thanks for the reply are the cfls going to be enough ive always been under the impression of the more light the better it will be 15 30 watts at 1800 lumens a piece also what color kelvin should i get 2700 seems to be the most common will i need co2 or could i live without it i ahve some tanks but not big ones and wow 3ft i didnt realize they got that big quickly at what height do you force flower the company i bought them from said to force flower at 18" if i wait will i get more yield or roughly the same
You need a minimum of 3,000 lumens per square foot but the more the better. I have never used co2 so i couldn't give you an answer on that but i bet someone else on here can. As far as flowering your plants you have to remember they will stretch 1 to 2 feet once you put them into flower. The longer you veg a plant the bigger the yield IMO.

you know i started this with the idea of low budget. like 200$ now after reading your site ive realized i was doomed to fail. so now after 300$ on lights 100$on my grow space100$ on my seeds 100$ on ventilation100$ on the six pack fox farms nutes 40$ on soil perlite and peat moss plus a 25$ timer pots ph up and down formula. crap im up to 800$ and i still feel like im doing it cheap. well only one way to find out. start germinating im going to start in two weeks and will update peiodically with questions and comments on how my first grow goes. with any luck making myself not need to buy bud will pay for this in itself

right now i have a plant beside my bed in a cabinet thats 1foot by 1foot and 3 feet high with 4, 27 watt cfl's equaling 7000 lumens and this plant is so bushy and short , i am looking forwar to it alot.
How many plants are you looking to grow?

well i got ten seeds white widows im going to plant all in hopes of getting a good lady to start cloning then ill probably throw 4or5 in there constant

Latest posts

Back