How many strains?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

I was sharing w/mr rb the other day about how i would like to grow a cindy and a kush and he said why?
I said,:eek: huh?
Anyway, the topic quickly moved to how many different strains does one need and do you just settle down and grow what you already have and be happy with that?

I have only grown about 8 strains. This is not enough. What is enough?
There are two that I will never be without, I hope.
How do you decide when to sit back and relax and clone till I have enough that I can retire?

Your thoughts please?

it's never enough :D
there's always something new or something you've wanted to try that comes along.
that's when it get's tricky. when you run out of space, and gotta gamble away a keeper to try something else.

the never-ending quest for your holy grail of smoke
:)

I carry my moms till I find something better. Right now Larry OG, LVPK, Pre 98 Bubba,and SnakeBite hve permanent seats in my mom tent. I dropped 707 HeadBand to make room for a cut of Subs JTR.
I will never be done looking for something new. Even if I had a dozen straight fire moms I wld still leave room for a stray cut to come my way every now and then.

I'm not a gamer. But I can tell that growing is like being a gamer. I will mot be satisfied until I beat them all! If that makes any sense. As you can tell I'm not much of a drinker either! :woohoo:

Right now I have a Dynamite-Satori cross that I am really fond of and will keep for a while. I also have a "purple something" that is not a good producer, but I really like the taste and buzz. I liked the really energetic high I get from 8 Miles High. I want to add a couch-lock strain. I have received my Larry's OG Kush seeds and will germ 5 right away. I keep thinking that I should "settle down with maybe 3 or 4 strains, but I doubt that I ever will. We always seem to be on the search for the Holy Grail.

The Hemp Goddess said:
We always seem to be on the search for the Holy Grail.

I don't mind.....:) I feel like that is the way it shld be...at least for me.
That is the great thing about this hobby...so many things to learn and so many strains to try. When you get tired of something try something new...I made butter tonight for the first time and made brownies with it. Tired of always smoking it. The space cake I got in Jamaica sealed the deal....I will be adding edibles to my enjoyment pleasure.:hubba:

Oh I'm a searcher...probably grown 200+ strains so far and have at least 150 strains yet to pop, lol.:D

Hi Rose, I will always keep trying new strains. Tell Mr. RB that it's like having fried potatoes vs mashed potatoes. Apple pie vs Lemon merengue. Rib Eye steak vs Filet Mignon... Etc., etc., ...
Why not try some of the new strains ... You can still grow your "meat & potatoes", but you might love having a bit of variety with your grows. New colors, flavors & high...
I absolutely love growing different strains... :p

Hi Rose! Variate is the spice of life and the variate is continuously growing. I doubt I will ever stop trying newer, (or older), variates and some of that could be the love I have for growing. It's impossible to see a gj of something you haven't tried before and not say, "I have to try that!"

I agree with everyone!

The comparison to Steak is a good one, most men can get into a Ribeye, and still taste the difference with a T-Bone.

My husband also wants to settle into just a few strains, I tell him, Im getting there.....as I put a new strain in the garden. My exact words are "I am narrowing it down".

Hehehe TC, let's take a poll on how long it will take him to realize what you are doing, :rofl: Men really are so easy.

I love Kush best myself.....ever since that first bowl.:hubba:

Hitting on some Kandy Kush right now....tasty stuff. At this point I wld probably still grow even if I didn't smoke. I love it that much.

I have over 100 varieties of roses, so it follows..... that i am obsessive and I am in great company!

I need a Kush...now it is an emergency after hearing from you guys. Where should I order Kush seeds from? I can't wait to see what it is you all fall in love with. You remember your first bowl Hamster? That is so sweet.

Irish, I agree, i mean really, how am i going to retire? If i live to be 80 I need over a twenty year stash...what are we talking here to get that? I need to make it easier though. I have trouble carting heavy pots.

Umbra, what are your top two strains?

In less then 2 years mr rb will be smoking what I am growing...then we will see what his thoughts are. I can't wait. That will be cool. It has been a really long time since we smoked together.

G2P, good steak analogy, now i am hungry though.:doh:

Rosebud said:
I was sharing w/mr rb the other day about how i would like to grow a cindy and a kush and he said why?
I said,:eek: huh?
Anyway, the topic quickly moved to how many different strains does one need and do you just settle down and grow what you already have and be happy with that?

I have only grown about 8 strains. This is not enough. What is enough?
There are two that I will never be without, I hope.
How do you decide when to sit back and relax and clone till I have enough that I can retire?

Your thoughts please?

I'm an outcrosser by nature. I'll run with one, then mix it with a nice male or two i found. or if it's just a diamond like cindy or something...I'll work plants out like it's saturday night at the AVN Awards.

I'm at about over 15 or so known strains. God only knows how much bagseed. I lost track a long time ago. IME no matter what strain or how awesome...sooner or later you have to change out.

Outcrossing is like hunting. make the right combo and you might just find something spectacular. but it takes a crap ton of seed starts. Why when i do seed runs I don't do just a branch or two...they whole plant. give me thousand to work with. The problem with stabalized is it's just that. your stuck. when you outcross you get wild things like hybrid vigor that will blow your socks off. Or some fluke freak gem that smells awesome during flower. rare phenos... ;)

Sooner or later all this Bx'n and inbreeding end up at the same dead-end. depression and mutations. in the words of Rick's Dad: "It's just how she goes."

unfort. my current living conditions does not grant me the ability yet to do what i really want. I am sick of geurrilla growing....I want my closet back LOL. (sorry had to rant)

but to answer your question...there is never enough LOL

Variety is the spice of life.

My spring grow had 12 plants and 5 different strains and my current grow has 9 plants and 7 different strains,

Hmmm what am i in the mood for tonight. lol

Rosebud said:
I have over 100 varieties of roses, so it follows..... that i am obsessive and I am in great company!

I need a Kush...now it is an emergency after hearing from you guys. Where should I order Kush seeds from? I can't wait to see what it is you all fall in love with. You remember your first bowl Hamster? That is so sweet.

I went with Larry's OG Kush from Cali Connection. I got a freebie 10 pack of something called Jedi Kush (I like the name--I wonder if we will be able to feel the Force). I'll try to do a journal.....

Do a journal please THG. That is the one Hamster loves so much isn't it. Thanks.

Rosebud said:
Do a journal please THG. That is the one Hamster loves so much isn't it. Thanks.

Hmmmm did I mention that once?:smoke1: Lol. Yes Rose that is my favorite strain....great Kush taste with some lemony fuel undertones. I also love the way the buds crumble up when cured. It made me a Kush lover for sure.

Latest posts

Back