Natural Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flymadness

Waiting on 4/20 everyday
Reaction score
hey!
me again, i was wondering if it is good to give the plants some natural light? i have mine sitting out by my window right now and i was wondering if this is a good thing to do, i figure it will help get some light to the lower branches. and i brought out my closet light as well to keep it constant. so is this good or does it make any diff?

Well, a couple of factors play into that. Yes sunlight is good. but If you have high dollar windows with UV protection some of the other spectrums may get filtered out as well.

Security-window isn't the best idea.

If you have single pane, non-tinted windows yeah it can't hurt. As long as its is getting a full beam of sunlight.

ok cool, my house is wayyyyyy to old to have security windows so i guess ill start to make it a practice to put it out. thanks. mutt you have been my personal saviour thus far. much thanks!

flymadness said:
ok cool, my house is wayyyyyy to old to have security windows so i guess ill start to make it a practice to put it out. thanks. mutt you have been my personal saviour thus far. much thanks!

IMO it would not be worth it. But what do I know, I would be afraid that it was not getting enuf light...

yeah thats what i was afarid of as well, but i rbought out my light from the grow room with it, so its getting the sun and the light. :)

Another thought is. Do you want a pot plant sittin in your window???? Not a great stealth idea. What if the meter man walked by checking the meter and bam 3' pot plant sittin there?

hahaha, yeah that would suck. but i have it a bit down from my window and im on the scond story of my house. and as well its only about 5 inches tall right now. wish it was 3 feet thpugh, mmmmmmm that would be aweome.

Single pane non-insulated glass filters out barely any light It has an R value of 1. There is some light loss by the actual reflective property of the window. but the full spectrum is still coming through on single pane.

Low-E windows reflect 40%-60% of heat. this will also reflect a great deal more light.

Now double Pain and triple pain glass will filter a lot of light as well.

So in a nut shell. If its single pane and in direct sunlight. It will work. If there is a storm window or screen more light will be filtered. then stick to you bulb and get some twisty florous at wal-mart to get the lower leaves.

Off-topic point but relevent: There are "greenhouse" glass. This will still insulate and also let the full spectrum of light in. Nothing compares to sunlight. That is all a grow light is trying to replicate. That is why outdoor grows are so massive and have such a great yeild. IMHO

So I think that we all agree to leave it away from the window?

Latest posts

Back