Energy costs in New Zealand-Help me Kiwis!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta9

Psychonaut
Reaction score
Ive just been running some figures to work out monthly power costs of running a 600w hps setup and the results using online calculators are eye watering..

Currently I am with Mercury Energy Company who charge 18.99 kwH..

Maybe im not calculating correctly..maths is'nt my strongest point

Can anyone in New Zealand give me some real world costs/examples of what they pay per month relative to their setup?

Many thanks

Delta9

I'm not from New Zealand, but @ 18.99 per kilowatt hour = $7620.00 per month for a 24/7 vegg.

Your $ per kilowatt hour must be wrong.

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all. In USA typical power cost is around $.11-.20 per KwH.
It will not cost much to run a 600w light 24/7. Think of it this way, A 600w light is the same as 6 100w light bulbs that are in use in your home. Go have a look at your bill or call your local power company and ask them what their KwH cost is in your area. Pleny of people want to know and ask for optimizing power usage or for adding in "hot tubs" so asking will not arouse suspicion. :)

To figure your cost, take your kilowatt hour price and multiply it by .600 (kilowatt is 1000w but you are only running 600w). That will give you the cost per hour to run that light. Then multiply that number by 24 (for the light running at 24/7, when you switch to 12/12 for fflowering then you would multiply by 12) to get the daily cost. Then multiply that by 30 to get average monthly cost. :)

I also think that you must have your kilowatt hour cost wrong--it simply cannot be $19 per kw. I am thinking it is probably $0.1899--which is still high. Your rate should be on your bill or if you cannot find it, call your power co. Costs are easy to figure from there using the info Hush gave you.

Thanks Everyone for your input

The numbers are right as far as my bill states 18.99 kwH but The Hemp Goddess nailed it-I needed to move the decimal point for inputting to the calculator-so $0.1899....doh

@ The Hemp Goddess-yes that figure IS a little 'high' rounded up to .19c per kwH it is $82.08 per month for a 600w 24/7
..such are our energy costs here in NZ:(

But I suppose its a small price to pay for living in a nuclear free country! :)

I didn't realize that about New Zealand--nuclear free. However my power is supplied by hydro power and is quite cheap. I am on a sliding scale--the more I use the more it is, but when you only pay $0.072 to $0.09 per kilowatt hour the difference is insignificant.

Growing does take an investment of money and you have ongoing expenses, but I can consume an ounce a month easily, so even if my electrical costs were high, I would still save money by growing rather than buying.

I didn't realize that about New Zealand--nuclear free. However my power is supplied by hydro power and is quite cheap. I am on a sliding scale--the more I use the more it is, but when you only pay $0.072 to $0.09 per kilowatt hour the difference is insignificant.

Growing does take an investment of money and you have ongoing expenses, but I can consume an ounce a month easily, so even if my electrical costs were high, I would still save money by growing rather than buying.

Yeah thats right-we are nuke free. The only country in the world that will not allow US nuclear powered war ships to berth in our ports. That has been the case since the early eighties due to the Labour government at the time.
Unfortunately I think the reason our hydro power is expensive is due to the fact that subsequent National governments have sold off our utility assets to offshore-power, railways, dairy industry-nothing is NZ owned anymore.
Thats the way of the world these days I suppose.
I have never heard of the sliding scale such as you mentioned-thats interesting.

I will probably spend a little over NZ$1000 in initial setup costs -which I think is relatively cheap - I have had more expensive hobbies in the past that don't offer anywhere near the return that pot growing does..Not that I plan on selling-My grow is only for personal use, but like you, I can easily smoke an oz a month and we pay $350-$400 for an oz of good indoor here so I will definitely save in the long run. Green fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back