Why Plants Flower (photoperiods)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazewarrior

Protected under prop 215
Reaction score
I have been doing allot of reading and have learned much these past few weeks. I didn't really know why plants flower when you switch the light cycles but I do now. I found out that in many varieties of cannabis light is used to regulate the reproductive cycle of the plant (flowering). Scientists believe that cannabis plants produce a hormone during the dark period which triggers the reproductive cycle. When the hormone builds up to a critical level the plant begins to produce flowers. It is believed that the amount of darkness required to begin the reproductive cycle is different for each variety.

Cannabis Ruderalis, which originated in the Soviet Union and Hungary, is believed to flower regardless of the photoperiod. :shocked:

haze....

Hey MODS, first off, let me say….. :doh:

And …. I was wondering if this site could use a forum dedicated to Marijuana Botany. All the information about the plant specially is scattered throughout the site in different forums.

E.g. Why plants flower? characteristics of the four basic types of cannabis. Molecular structure. Types of hormones within the plant, chemical composition, annual, seed embryos ect.....

I personally only go through to the grow journals, galleries and new posts so much of what is on this site is still unknown to me. The post Hick forwarded (thanks) is in the indoor section yet it applies to growing outdoor and more specifically the pertains plant itself. I spend hours learning how to grow MJ and different techniques but I never took the time to learn about the plant itself. Or at least in detail. It’s kinda like the next step to a higher level of knowledge. ;)

What do you think?

hazewarrior said:
Hey MODS, first off, let me say….. :doh:

And …. I was wondering if this site could use a forum dedicated to Marijuana Botany. All the information about the plant specially is scattered throughout the site in different forums.

E.g. Why plants flower? characteristics of the four basic types of cannabis. Molecular structure. Types of hormones within the plant, chemical composition, annual, seed embryos ect.....

I personally only go through to the grow journals, galleries and new posts so much of what is on this site is still unknown to me. The post Hick forwarded (thanks) is in the indoor section yet it applies to growing outdoor and more specifically the pertains plant itself. I spend hours learning how to grow MJ and different techniques but I never took the time to learn about the plant itself. Or at least in detail. It’s kinda like the next step to a higher level of knowledge. ;)

What do you think?

+1

We sorta do already have a section...just no one really uses it.
Advanced growing techniques------->Cultivation
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Reason for advanced is mostly in the indoor section...most just want "how to grow" not "why it does grow". So a while ago I asked this section to be made for this type of conversation and links. But no really uses it much. :(
if we add more sections, then the front page gets too full. Also gets tedious constantly trying to move things in the right places. I sorta gave up on it already. I even had an announcment asking folks to put the threads in the right section. That was a big success :rolleyes: .

I am consolidating a bunch of resource things into each section. The growing resource page is getting there. Gonna do one for each section, but there in lies another problem...not too many click on it. :hitchair: So I am taking my time doin it.

Just my 2:bits

Latest posts

Back