Do you trim any fan leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaves still have lots of energy left in them when they are yellowing in flowering when yellowing starts its starts at the bottom because those leaves get little to no sunlight affectivly what the plant is doing is sucking out all the nutrients/energy left in the leaf that is not making energy for the buds and using the nutrients/energy towards bud development so when u pull that yellowing leaf ur doing nothing but pulling energy away from ur bud this is fact for me removing leaves during flowering is in no way doing any good!

The leaves still have lots of energy left in them when they are yellowing in flowering when yellowing starts its starts at the bottom because those leaves get little to no sunlight affectivly what the plant is doing is sucking out all the nutrients/energy left in the leaf that is not making energy for the buds and using the nutrients/energy towards bud development so when u pull that yellowing leaf ur doing nothing but pulling energy away from ur bud this is fact for me removing leaves during flowering is in no way doing any good!

Spot on! This is how I do actually see it too...

...then my OCD kicks in and I have to pluck. It's a filthy habit, I know lol

I was looking over my girls this evening under green light and noticed that the growth is super thick in area's I have a bunch of fan leaves that are blocking the sunlight to flowers...I know that the fan leaves are an important part of the process but, wouldn't it be beneficial to clip off a few here and there to get more light penetration?

Fist grow ever....

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php? t=68799
I remove lower branches and leaves during the first 2 weeks of flower to eliminate popcorn buds. Beyond that nothing gets removed unless it falls off by itself.

While reading some posts about "lollypoping" I got to thinking, these are the same people who posted here and said to never trim fan leaves. Still, most of them cut the entire bottom of their plants off and throw them in the trash.

When someone says you shouldn't trim fan leaves because the plant needs all the green it can get to process photosynthesis, and then they trim away half of the plant and throw it away, how can they justify feeling both ways. Seems like the same thing to me.

I don't meant to start a fight but I would like to hear opinions.

One thing that I can say I have learned is this...... the Sativa strain that I have grown for the past 20 or 30 years takes a whopping SIXTEEN WEEKS to mature. That was the single biggest bummer about this strain.

However, during that time, the bottom buds and popcorn grow and grow and grow. Especially with the incredible penetration I got with that new 1000w light. As I mentioned earlier in one thread, that popcorn added up to almost 1/2 pound on my last harvest of a 4x4 room. It is simply insane to throw that away.

NOW...... I am growing this Critical Kush and it's in week 6. The breeder says it matures in 55 to 60 days. For sake of conversation, let's say they are right. That means I only have about 2 weeks left. Maybe less since I like to take mine at first sign if amber. The lower buds are very small and not very frosty. Unless they really gain some size quickly, it's almost not even worth the branches being there. Almost. LOL

We'll see.

But, I am certainly beginning to understand why some feel comfortable lollypopping. With a flowering time this short, the stuff never adds up to anything.

Learn learn learn. I love learning new stuff. Thanks,everyone

Indoors is a lil different then outdoors if wear talking about outdoors their are more reasons to remove lower branches it all depends on the strain ur growing and ur technique meaning lst, topping, filming, natural, etc but man reason I remove lower branches are that outdoor on big plants the bottom buds are usual getting no light due to the plant blocking light to it I remove bottom small branchs for better air flow, they usually lay on the ground after a rain, I have found wear I grow the higher buds never get rot or mold lowest buds usually due...... but im talking about my experience outdoors growing big 7-10 ft plants so their is a little difference from indoor to outdoor but I don't remove anything after flowering starts

I can see outdoor growers keeping it off the ground and out of moisture, bugs and general ground contact. I do the same with my bushes and shrubs outdoors.

But, indoor growers cutting off half the plant ??????

Still, watching these Critical Kush plants, I am beginning to understand more every day. We'll see how much popcorn I get. Definitely not going to be like my 16 week Sativas.

Latest posts

Back