"Outdoor plant of the year"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I graded my reefer last year nouvellechef, I did it with points. Like a poll, great (5), near great (4), good (3), not so good (2), and lousy(1). A five point system then of the three categories (like you have here) were added together to get a overall score.

4u, I think that pot measures about 40 gallons. Don't really know, but it is smaller than the 45 gallon smart pots. How bout a side category for best (under same guidelines as "outdoor in ground") plant outdoor in containers? You might have more folks enter that wouldnt because they know that they wont get as big as anything put direct in the ground. Just a thought for you. And of course, Im in pots....smile.

tcbud said:
4u, I think that pot measures about 40 gallons. Don't really know, but it is smaller than the 45 gallon smart pots. How bout a side category for best (under same guidelines as "outdoor in ground") plant outdoor in containers? You might have more folks enter that wouldnt because they know that they wont get as big as anything put direct in the ground. Just a thought for you. And of course, Im in pots....smile.

I like this idea. Ide be down with submitting for both. One of these Satori girls is goin directly in the ground soon.

Hold the phone....one in the ground will do better than a potted? I assume you treat the soil and amend first? If growing in as big as a 45gal, what gives the ground the advantage...roots can grow down instead of around?

Just curious, maybe I'll do a side-by-side.

Roddy said:
Hold the phone....one in the ground will do better than a potted? I assume you treat the soil and amend first? If growing in as big as a 45gal, what gives the ground the advantage...roots can grow down instead of around?

Just curious, maybe I'll do a side-by-side.

no need for the side by brother..I Did one a few years back...grew same cutting in cat litter bucket and one in ground...one in ground yeilded allmost 5 times the container...And I have a Gooey in a 32 gallon garbage can and a few in the ground...I know the ones in the ground will yield better and the plants will be bigger...even with all the same feedings...Ill be back with pics of my container entry:D:bolt:backyard

drfting07 said:
I like this idea. Ide be down with submitting for both. One of these Satori girls is goin directly in the ground soon.

Okay..you and tcbud get the container grows as well in this thread...Same catagorys...so heres mine..."Gooey"

P6070010.JPG

P6080027.JPG

P6080028.JPG

P6080029.JPG

4u2sm0ke said:
no need for the side by brother..I Did one a few years back...grew same cutting in cat litter bucket and one in ground...one in ground yeilded allmost 5 times the container...And I have a Gooey in a 32 gallon garbage can and a few in the ground...I know the ones in the ground will yield better and the plants will be bigger...even with all the same feedings...Ill be back with pics of my container entry:D:bolt:backyard

Good info, THANKS!! All will definitely go into the ground here, then...well, save one for this contest, maybe! :)

Here is my "not" entry. It is one of my clones, but I am not growing her. She came from the same group of clones as my entry. So I thought it would be a nice side by side show. I wont post this in ground pic as often as I do mine, but I will give updates on it.

Looking good for containers 4u. Sounds like fun in the sun. :icon_smile:

In ground NL#5.jpg

Just being on the topic of ground vs buckets. If I did go in the ground, how big of a hole would you dig and have amended soil in? Last year I had them all in 5 gallon buckets, and got over 6oz of one that was only about waste high in the bucket.

Like the old saying goes across the board. Bigger is better :)

Any difference in the preparation of soil from inside to an outdoor grow like this?

ston-loc....I dig the holes 3 times the size container being used...so if ya use a 5 gallon bucket like I did for my Gooey Donor..3 feet wide and 3 feet deep...

Roddy....When transfering to the ground from inside..I like to prep my holes as I told Ston-loc..and fill with my soil...My thinking is that its less stress for plant to start off when in its soil its use too....just the way I roll:lama:

well Roddy...amending soil is better than not..My backyard garden gets amended all the time...and is great soil as to say a gorilla grower...if ya can amend soil I would say do so...but most gorrila growers dont have time to do that..is why I say add your soil to aid in the growing...does this help?

:48:

Yes and yes...THANKS for the advice chef and 4U!! I just wondered if there was anything extra I should add to my soil mix, not sure what rainwater and ground elements will do and all.

Much appreciated, can't wait to get that GH onto ground and I can do some digging!!!! :) :D

3x3x3 hole, 27 cubic feet, ~ 200 gallons of soil or 4x Large compressed bales of pro-mix.

Thats per plant? by my calculations thats 40x the size of my 5 gallon pot. Or are you digging a 1x3x3 hole? 15 gallons is 3x

I'm in , 2 varieties blueberry, white widow, the 6 plants will be outdoors june 20, i will be using 5 gallon buckets i will need help with pics have never uploaded before its a minor issue im hoping, the grow is on..... height, girth, and resin how cool good luck all

Latest posts

Back