"Outdoor plant of the year"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drfting07 said:
3x3x3 hole, 27 cubic feet, ~ 200 gallons of soil or 4x Large compressed bales of pro-mix.

Thats per plant? by my calculations thats 40x the size of my 5 gallon pot. Or are you digging a 1x3x3 hole? 15 gallons is 3x

Your about right. Remember though. When the long veged plant, cause if your doing a 27cf hole, it needs to well trained and be somewhat of good size before hitting the hole, otherwise the size of the hole is a mood point. The rootball already of the plant fills a huge portion of the hole itself. So once the mix is un-compacted, it doesnt that much to fill it up.

Im a show off this Gal...I fubbared the YArd by puting weed/feed on grass:doh:..so I supose that would discount me in the health depart:rofl:

this is gooey..she now stands 5 feet tall and Ive spred her out and thined iner section..

P6220003.JPG

P6220023.JPG

P6220025.JPG

P6220053.JPG

Looks healthy. Have not had much direct sun in last few weeks. Supposed to hit 80 late next week. I will shoot a monthly update when the sun peeks on Thursday.

Rain here yesterday. Started so hard once that I thought a jet was going to land on the roof!

Nothing new here, just more leaves. Six more weeks for vegging. Yawn. I love the summer days.

Heres a couple of my outdoor plants in a 10 and a 15 gal smart pot. first is Early Skunk and the next is a ChemDog that was a result of my cloning practice. The ChemDog has been outside since sometime in April and the Early Skunk was put out first week of June.varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpNuyAyW.jpg

varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpXD3J0U.jpg

Hope your thinking off transplanting those to larger pots. 10/15 gal just wont cut it for those come harvest time.

I was hoping to get by with them. I usually harvest by mid september. I usually plant in home made raised beds I make out of slab wood so this smart pot thing is new to me. What will happen if I don't transplant them?

juniorgrower said:
I was hoping to get by with them. I usually harvest by mid september. I usually plant in home made raised beds I make out of slab wood so this smart pot thing is new to me. What will happen if I don't transplant them?

Yes, significantly lower yield. But outside when they become rootbound, it can wreak havoc on the overall health. Not to mention having to water a small 15gal pot, twice a day, when the summer heat rolls in.

Wow that stinks! I'm all out of super soil and dont have any bigger containers. Hopefully They will be alright until I can get some more SS made and get my hands on some bigger containers. I have tried digging holes in the ground where I grow but there is too many roots and rocks. Any body have any alternative ideas that would be a better option for my grow?

I like 4U's idear of growing in new trash cans. That's what I'd do if I was an OD'er

Trash cans would be cool but I think it would be too risky, I am pretty sure that they would be seen by someone where I grow. Thinking I might find some old skidder ruts and fill them in with SS and cover the dirt with old brush so no one will see them.

Peep my journal in my sig. Or the "watering help ideas" thread in the OD grow section. I just fixed this problem. I ended up getting 30 gallon totes from walmart for 8bucks each. They are lower to the ground and rectangular. Plants are thriving. Pretty sure they are low enough you could camoflouge enough to make em work.

I did an OD grow 2 years ago, Used the 30gal tote and dug a hole big enough to sit it in the ground, used wood/camo tarp/glue and leaves to camo it up :), I have pictures somewhere I will dig up.. Give me about 5 minutes or so.

The long sticks that run the length of it are stapled ontop of the tarp/leaf camo net. lol. works wonders... no one can tell there is a big bright green tote there lol.

100_2882.jpg

Thanks guys that is a great idea! SL you must hav e cut a bunch of drain holes in the bottom? I think I will try this method out.

I put 8-12 holes in the bottom of mine with a 1/4in bit.

bubba887 said:
I did an OD grow 2 years ago, Used the 30gal tote and dug a hole big enough to sit it in the ground, used wood/camo tarp/glue and leaves to camo it up :), I have pictures somewhere I will dig up.. Give me about 5 minutes or so.

The long sticks that run the length of it are stapled ontop of the tarp/leaf camo net. lol. works wonders... no one can tell there is a big bright green tote there lol.

What a great and ingenuitive idea for guerilla growin, gotta love that stealth for sure....

*like* lol...

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bubba887 again.

:rofl:

7greeneyes said:
I like 4U's idear of growing in new trash cans. That's what I'd do if I was an OD'er

my first Garbage grow was 3 years ago ...what Ilike is that it can be easly moved around with hand truck...I use 1/2 drill bit and drill holes in bottom and half way up the sides about 10 inches apart..i been useing the same cans as well:D

Ive been pondering how i will go about this. Im thinking one 30 gallon tote, and one directly in the ground, 60 gallons of amended soil. Think that will do it?

Latest posts

Back