First time grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarpistyle

Reaction score
Trying to grow for my first time. My set up is weak but I don't care its more of an experiment. My seeds popped and then flopped over. I had them growing under a 125watt CFL about a foot/foot and a half away. It seems hot so I'm not sure what's wrong with these little guys. I turned off the 125 watt now they're under (and way closer) to my like 14watt or whatever CFL's. It's low wattage, I know. But will these smaller wattage bulbs do the trick for like a week or 2, then switch back on the 125 watt? PLEASE HELP!

Hi and welcome to MP. I cannot tell why the plant would lean away from the bigger light source, could it be a useless spectrum? That is interesting

welcome, best thing i can say is to jump online and check out what other people are doing with cfl. as far as i know, no one here uses cfl. if you are wanting to go with regular screw in bulbs i would say led over cfl, but i don't have any experience with either.

On the update- 3 of those buggers died. I turned off the 125 watt CFL and just surrounded one of my late bloomers with 4 x 13 watt CFL's and now it's growing pretty well. At what point should I get the 125 watt going? I'm pretty sure the other seedlings died because that was too much for them...

View attachment IMG_0870.jpg

View attachment IMG_0871.jpg

My plant is about 2 weeks or so old right now. I've compared it to others I've seen around this period of growth and I seems like it's small. I'm using 2 x 13 watt CFL's and 1 x 20 watt CFL for it right now. The 20 watt is a different light spectrum but the other 2 are the same. I know these lights are weak but any thoughts?

View attachment image1.jpg

I just spotted the source of your problem, this plant is growing upside down :laugh:

Well there's no gravity in my house so yea. Could it be the spectrum of light though that's too little at this stage? I was thinking it was the roots not being able to grow through the jiffy pellet netting but I don't believe that's it. This particular plant just seems to be stagnant in its growth the past week...

I think your plant looks fine. What soil are you planning on using when you transplant?

welcome to this group. there is an encyclopedia of experience here and these folks will help you with any questions you have. i started out very low tech/budget about 4 years ago and was on different forums. i got a lot of good advice on them but this group is more nurturing. from my experience, to veg, you want higher kelvin colors for vegging. like 6500k or 5000k. on the cfl bulb package, you will see the number in the table where they indicate wattage etc. you want your light to be more white, not reddish(warm i think is what they call it). the cfls in the pic above are the right color. i have never tried growing with just cfl's. i have used them to supplement my weak setup where i was using high output t5 bulbs. those are a good, inexpensive 'upgrade' from cfl's. even a 2 foot fixture. you can get the plants really close because they are so cool and that will minimize stretch. sorry. i got a bit chatty there. good luck though and i hope you find growing as fulfilling a hobby as i do. plus, you will get some wicked good weed. like really good...

I now have 2 plants have been doing well on the 6500K CFL's. But I threw the 125w 2700k big bulb over one of them. I was thinking of throwing up a couple more of the smaller wattage bulbs around it just cause, but they are the 6500K ones. Should I avoid 2 different spectrums simultaneously? I don't want to "confuse" the plant but this site said regardless of spectrum(s), more light is better. Any thoughts?

PS. Have been using the same ol miracle grow seed starter soil the whole time...

The seed starter is the only thing that is not horrible with miracle grow.

Yea I just read that miracle grow actually sucks and is a poor choice for ganja. I am switching over to a different kind of soil because from what I've seen and read online, it looks like my plant is super small because of the miracle grow- ironically it's going to take a miracle for this plant to grow now.

People have told me to be careful with the 125 watt cfls because they get really warm. I think personally having some 2700 k light is probably better. The sun is a mixture of all colors. I can't see having too much cfl lighting. As far as miracle grow goes, I used somebody their 'organic' soil for a couple of grows and both times had to deal with spider mites. Once they are past the seedling stage, the plants like good drainage so you can have a nice wet to dry cycle and get good oxygen to the roots. Mind you, I am no expert but I grow some pretty awesome herb with the help of folks on here.

If you want some good organic soil recommendations, there is Fox farm ocean forest, there are enough nutrients in that for 6 weeks or so.

Yea I just read that miracle grow actually sucks and is a poor choice for ganja. I am switching over to a different kind of soil because from what I've seen and read online, it looks like my plant is super small because of the miracle grow- ironically it's going to take a miracle for this plant to grow now.

lol so thats where the name "Miracle Grow" is coming from. its ok we all lost plants some time, and who knows maybe a miracle happens :peace:

Good for you. when you can you need to get yourself a T5 light for vegging at least. You won't believe how much cooler they are and you can put your light right under it and won't burn it. Good job for all the challenges.

I have grown in nothing but Miracle Grow Seed Starter mix for years. Love it. Like Rose said. It is the only MG Soil that doesn't suck for Cannabis.

Latest posts

Back