1st Grow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That assumption is correct, the longer you veg, the bigger the plant, the more she will yield. Green mojo to ya.

Thanks!

Yes I did order fem seeds. Sorry if that was not clear before.
As for spreading them out I feel like the light is far more intense directly under the lamp and I make sure all the bud sites are getting light and are not covered by fan leaves or other bud sites. The light I am using is an LED light and although I am by no means an expert I think it is FAR superior to traditional lights. This is the light I am using http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTBS91Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
To briefly go over why I like this light. Small, quiet, less energy and no heat. (like zero even if you touch the light directly) My only complaint is the intensity of the light seems far less on the edges of the tent. My plan for the next grow is to buy another of these lights and have two of them in the tent. The tent is 3'x3' and I think I can squeeze nine plants in there. Is this too many plants for this tent or too much light?
Also I was wondering about vegging the plants. Am I understanding correctly that the length of the veg all depends on how tall of a plant you can accomodate? For example you can veg as long as you want assuming you have the room for the plant to at least double in size during flower?

Thanks again everyone!

It is a mistake to think that more plants equals more yield. An overcrowded space will actually produce less than a space that the plants have room to breathe. So, never wise to squeeze too many plants in your space. And you are operating under a misconception---bud sites do not need the light--the big fan leaves do. They are the powerhouses where the photosynthesis takes place and light, food, and water and turns it into THC and other cannabinoids. So, I say again, spread those plants out a bit and let them breathe and let the big fan leaves get the light they need.

You would benefit with the addition of another light. Unfortunately, LED salespeople and manufacturers are still over hyping their lights saying they will cover more area than they will. I copied this from Amazon--"...400w HPS replacement with 4.5ft x 3.8ft coverage at 18" height...". A 400W HPS will not cover an area that is 4.5 x 3.8 and I highly doubt this light will either. If it covers 9 sq ft well, I will be surprised. I have a 768W and a 700W and am expecting them to cover about 15-20 sq ft. This is my first run with LEDs, but I have received a lot of advice from the people here about LEDs and what they will really cover. Keep in mind that the light while a 300W is not running at nearly full capacity. The light you are using draws about 180W. According to some, that is only enough light for about 1/3 to 1/2 the space you have. It has been recommended that we shoot for 60 working watts per sq ft when using LEDs if you are in a tent or space with reflective walls. Without an enclosure, the figure is higher.

Growing with HIDs and LEDs is different. One of the things you do want to do with LEDs IS to spread the plants out more and open up the foliage so all the plant receives light. The plant is trimmed up a bit differently than with HIDs also. You might want to read up on that before your next grow. It will improve your yield. And the light is kept further away from the canopy. You want the light 18" to 24" away from the canopy. Plants usually are lighter feeders, too, requiring less nutes than plants under HIDs.

I don't quite understand you question about veg time ("...the length of the veg all depends on how tall of a plant you can accommodate..."), but as I said in my previous post, a longer veg will result in a larger plant and therefore more bud. Not necessarily taller, you could fim or top and get bushy plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a mistake to think that more plants equals more yield. An overcrowded space will actually produce less than a space that the plants have room to breathe. So, never wise to squeeze too many plants in your space. And you are operating under a misconception---bud sites do not need the light--the big fan leaves do. They are the powerhouses where the photosynthesis takes place and light, food, and water and turns it into THC and other cannabinoids. So, I say again, spread those plants out a bit and let them breathe and let the big fan leaves get the light they need.

You would benefit with the addition of another light. Unfortunately, LED salespeople and manufacturers are still over hyping their lights saying they will cover more area than they will. I copied this from Amazon--"...400w HPS replacement with 4.5ft x 3.8ft coverage at 18" height...". A 400W HPS will not cover an area that is 4.5 x 3.8 and I highly doubt this light will either. If it covers 9 sq ft well, I will be surprised. I have a 768W and a 700W and am expecting them to cover about 15-20 sq ft. This is my first run with LEDs, but I have received a lot of advice from the people here about LEDs and what they will really cover. Keep in mind that the light while a 300W is not running at nearly full capacity. The light you are using draws about 180W. According to some, that is only enough light for about 1/3 to 1/2 the space you have. It has been recommended that we shoot for 60 working watts per sq ft when using LEDs if you are in a tent or space with reflective walls. Without an enclosure, the figure is higher.

Growing with HIDs and LEDs is different. One of the things you do want to do with LEDs IS to spread the plants out more and open up the foliage so all the plant receives light. The plant is trimmed up a bit differently than with HIDs also. You might want to read up on that before your next grow. It will improve your yield. And the light is kept further away from the canopy. You want the light 18" to 24" away from the canopy. Plants usually are lighter feeders, too, requiring less nutes than plants under HIDs.

I don't quite understand you question about veg time ("...the length of the veg all depends on how tall of a plant you can accommodate..."), but as I said in my previous post, a longer veg will result in a larger plant and therefore more bud. Not necessarily taller, you could fim or top and get bushy plants.

Can you possibly link some good threads that discuss how to use LED's effectively?
Also as far as keeping the light farther from the cannopy I thought the opposite would be better? Having the light closer to keep the light more intense especially since you don't have to worry about heat and burning the plants? I have been keeping the light between 14"-18" away typically.

Beautiful. They will bulk up the last two weeks ALOT. Enjoy those beautiful flowers. I am glad those are doing so well.

Yup you get all your weight in the last two weeks, that's why you cant's chop early, you will waste four months of hard work.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I hope some of the buds, especially the lower ones, fatten up soon! =)
I have a question about checking the tricomes. Where does everyone get those spyglass/magnifying glass things that I have seen at jewlers? Or what other methods do you use to check the tricomes?

Been a while since I posted but just been very busy in my personal life. I had some pictures pre harvest but sadly they got corrupted or something and will not load :cry: Anyway here are some post harvest pictures.
Everything was harvested nine weeks and two days into flower. Buds have been drying for one day now. Hopefully I get a decent yeild! I will update with the final weight once everything is cured. Thanks again for the help everyone!
P.S. What can I do with all this trim, it's basically all fan leaves. Can I make cana oil or something with this?

View attachment dry 1.JPG

View attachment dry 2.JPG

View attachment dry 3.JPG

View attachment trim.JPG

The buds look wonderful--nice and frosty. You did a great job.

You might want to trim them a bit better though as the leaf material smokes quite harsh. And those little leaves can be used to make a myriad of really good things--hash, edibles, salves, etc.

The buds look wonderful--nice and frosty. You did a great job.

You might want to trim them a bit better though as the leaf material smokes quite harsh. And those little leaves can be used to make a myriad of really good things--hash, edibles, salves, etc.

Thanks! I am very excited to try some of my very own bud! :yay:
As for the trimming, yes I was going to do a second more thorough trim when I jar them up, I did a very quick trim initially as it was late at night and I was tired and not in the mood to be doing much of anything. Also I was curious if my drying method is ok? Is there any advantage to having them hung upside down rather than flat?
Finally, what about the bag of big fan leaves? Is all that material just trash or can I do something with it?

HI emma, happy for you on your harvest, very cool. Congrats.

That is the million dollar question, is there anything wonderful in fan leaves? Depends who you ask.
I truthfully don't know. I wish i could find a lab results of the profiles of fan leaves. If i have time i will try to find some actual results like that. I don't keep dead or brown fan leaves for anything but mulch.

HI emma, happy for you on your harvest, very cool. Congrats.

That is the million dollar question, is there anything wonderful in fan leaves? Depends who you ask.
I truthfully don't know. I wish i could find a lab results of the profiles of fan leaves. If i have time i will try to find some actual results like that. I don't keep dead or brown fan leaves for anything but mulch.

I am thinking about tossing the whole bag of fan leaves into a pot with water and a cup or more of coconut oil and seeing what happens. I don't think there could be something harmful in them right? Worst case I think I would just waste some time and coconut oil?

Everything is jarred up and smells amazing! I smoked some of the tiny popcorn buds and although the flavor was a bit off the high was excellent. I can't wait to try some of the buds once the cure is done!
I do have a question though if someone wouldn't mind helping. I was having a lot of trouble maintaining humidity indoors so I moved the jars to the garage and they seem to be doing much better. My cheap hygrometer measures about 62% humidity. So my question is, if I understand correctly at this humidity level I should burp the jars once a week or should it be more often? Also would three weeks be long enough for a good cure?

View attachment Cure 1.JPG

View attachment Cure 2.JPG

I would open the jars every day for a week or so.

I usually just toss the large fan leaves into the composter, too. You could of course, try something. I do not understand the purpose of adding water to coconut oil? If you want to try making something, I would decarb the leaves and then grind them up some, but not too fine. Put the trim into a jar or something similar and cover with coconut oil and let simmer in a hot water bath. Strain and let cool.

So I am really afraid I am messing up the cure and could really use some advice. When I keep the jars indoors where the temperature is between 70F-75F the humidity in the jars reads 55-60% however when I place them outside in the garage which ranges from 80F-90F the humidity in the jars will stay right between 62%-65% but I think it is too hot outside? Any help is greatly appreciated as I would hate to lose all my hard work at this point!

I do not understand the purpose of adding water to coconut oil? If you want to try making something, I would decarb the leaves and then grind them up some, but not too fine. Put the trim into a jar or something similar and cover with coconut oil and let simmer in a hot water bath. Strain and let cool.

I should have been more descriptive. When I make coconut oil with thc in it I just throw the ground up bud and oil into a large pot with water and boil for around 2 hours or until the majority of the water is gone. Pour the water/oil mix through a strainer to remove the plant material and then put it in the fridge overnight. Coconut oil will solidify and float on top of the water at which point you just pull it out pat it dry and jar it up. Easiest way to make an oil for an edible base in my opinion. Also I do not feel there is a need for decarb as the water will be at 212 the entire time. Not too hot not too cold unless I am missing something.

I am thinking about tossing the whole bag of fan leaves into a pot with water and a cup or more of coconut oil and seeing what happens. I don't think there could be something harmful in them right? Worst case I think I would just waste some time and coconut oil?

Good idea, please get back to us on that.

As far as the cure, i have never used a hygrometer. As THG said open the jars daily, if they feel to wet, put them in a brown paper bag for an hour or so and then you can re jar. You will learn how fast they are drying by the feel. Be sure to gently turn the jars so the pot gets evenly dry. You don't want a glob of moldy pot at the bottom is what i am trying to say.

Until I am comfortable with the dryness I burp my jars daily. I usually go for almost a month, burping them, sometimes spreading them out on a glass table if their still too moist.

I usually burp the jar, by opening it, and shaking the buds up abit . Then I pull a bud out n smoke it :D

If you are using water, then you will absolutely want to decarb. The acids--THCA, CBDA, etc--are water soluable and if you put them in water, they will dissolve, Decarb if you are using water or you do lose the cannabinoids that exists in acid form. Whenever I make something with coconut oil, I just use the oil. It just seems like an extra step to get the water out. I fill a quart canning jar with cannabis that is ground up, add liquefied coconut oil and set in a hot water bath for how ever long you want, strain and you are done.

Latest posts

Back